Hurricane Paloma heading toward Cayman...
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Just when you think that hurricane season is over, along comes that last storm of the season, and it's heading right at you! Urgh!

It now has a name, Tropical Storm Paloma, and is expected to be an intensifying Level 1 hurricane when it gets here on Saturday:

Tropical Storm: Tracking Map : Weather Underground

I just knew that I shouldn't have taken the hurricane shutters down quite yet.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 33
The downside of living in a tax shelter??

cheers
Simon

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 33
Best wishes for this one as well!
Hope it end up doing no damage to your property.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 33
Good luck with this. Hopefully, it will be a small one.

You need to get some of those shutters that can be opened and closed electrically. Maybe sell a few cans...
biggrin.gif

Or you could just do your whole house like the Batmobile. Even better. Might have to sell an amp or two to cover that one.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 33
I've offered before so I will offer again, If you want somewhere safe to store your audio goodies during hurricane season give me a PM
wink.gif

Hope this dosen't hit you to hard. All the best.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 33
It's gaining strength as expected. Now has 66 mph sustained winds with 75 mph gusts. The eye is tracking right over us as a direct hit. Now expected to be a Level 2 hurricane when it gets here on Saturday with 103 mph sustained winds and 126 mph gusts. Not looking pretty, but Ivan was worse. This will be the first one I've actually been on-Island for.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 33
Wayne, sorry to hear that your home and that of your friends will be afected by Paloma. I hope you all fare well, who knows it may take a turn for Florida.

Oops, could it impact the Tampa meet? Hope not.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne, sorry to hear that your home and that of your friends will be afected by Paloma. I hope you all fare well, who knows it may take a turn for Florida.

Oops, could it impact the Tampa meet? Hope not.

No, it will be long gone before the 15th. It's now a Category 1 hurricane, and strengthening. It's still coming right at us. The funny thing is, it seems to have been designed just for us. Not only is it tracking dead on, but according to all of the models, it will be at maximum strength (as a Category 3) between Grand Cayman and it's sister Islands. Then will start to die down to a Cat 2 before it goes over Cuba, then die down further as it heads NE towards the Bahamas. Florida is not in the expected path whatsoever.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 33
That site seems harder to use.

I just use NOAA.com, looking at this wind speed map I'd say you were right in it being designed specifically for your island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back