Humming sound in my new headphones
Dec 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
I got a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones with vali and modi and there's this really annoying humming sound. Does anyone know what's causing it and how I can make it go away?

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 10
that's the lil headphone gnome that lives inside your headphone drivers hummin along to your tunes! you must have good taste in music 
tongue.gif

lol. see if the humming occurs when you are using the headphones by emselves or if the gnome just doesn't like to play nice w/ your amp or dac. check your cable connections & source. the headphone gnome likes to have everything very tidy or else he gets cranky.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 10
It's gone away completely now. I don't know what was causing it but it doesn't matter now. I will report back if it happens again.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 10
  It's gone away completely now. I don't know what was causing it but it doesn't matter now. I will report back if it happens again.

didja sacrifice a goat? sometimes that appeases the headphone gnomes

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 10
the sound are the micro phonics from the tubes  on the Vali - check the schiit website and they mention a ringing that will happen when you first plug in headphones, tap the amp etc.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 10
I had a problem similar to that. I did everything i could think of, changed headphones, amps, dacs, computers, chenged ports, used different plug sockets etc. It drove me nuts. Strangely imo, when I changed the cables between the dac and headphone amp, the problem disappeared.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 10
because the amp was making a stupid amount of buzzing it seems to have gone away completely again though. Whenever I leave it turned on or I just turn it on it tends to make the ringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back