Hum... What to do now??
Jul 12, 2008 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kejar31

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I have been trying to figure out where to go now. I have recently sold my Sextetts and SR80's and now have ~250 to spend on something new
biggrin.gif
I currently own HD580's with 600 Grills and a Hornet non M amp. While this combo sounds great, as always, I wouldn't mind it sounding better. Here are some options I have thought of so far.

1. Buy a Zero Dac/Amp and latter when I have more funds buy a new desktop amp

2. Buy some new headphone to try out a new sound (maybe some Denon D2000 or Grado SR225's)

3. Sell the Hornet and buy a new desktop amp and dac, my total available funds would then be ~500. (One problem here is that I listen to my headphones everyday at work so I would be stuck with just the 580's and ipod)

I am looking for suggestions, so what do you think?

Oh yea, I listen to just about everything but country and rap.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 5
If i had about $250, I'd try and find another $50-$100 and go looking for a used Stax SRS-2020 or SRS-2050 amp/phones combo.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 5
While a better amp would drive the HD580 a bit better, I think benefits from the already good Hornet would be marginal. The same goes for a DAC in that price range.
If it were my dough I'd try a different set of phones. Depending on how you liked the SR-80 maybe the SR-225 are interesting or not at all. D2000 would be OK, you'll find them colored compared to the HD-580 and depending on your preferences, that could suit you or not.

Going Stax is always interesting and educative, but even used, they're a more expensive option than the money you're willing to spend.

Rgrds

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i had about $250, I'd try and find another $50-$100 and go looking for a used Stax SRS-2020 or SRS-2050 amp/phones combo.

That sounds like a good possibility. Although finding a used one might be the hard part.

Something in my head is saying "Sell the hornet buy the Stax"
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

No, really after I sell the hornet (around $275) I would have a little over 500 in the headphone funds. With an additional 100 I could buy a new Stax SRS-2050A Basic System II
Unless you have something better in that price range for somthing used?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While a better amp would drive the HD580 a bit better, I think benefits from the already good Hornet would be marginal. The same goes for a DAC in that price range.
If it were my dough I'd try a different set of phones. Depending on how you liked the SR-80 maybe the SR-225 are interesting or not at all. D2000 would be OK, you'll find them colored compared to the HD-580 and depending on your preferences, that could suit you or not.

Going Stax is always interesting and educative, but even used, they're a more expensive option than the money you're willing to spend.

Rgrds

I have thought about the SR225's and will probably go have another listen to them at the local hifi shop here. Thanks for the heads up on the Denons, I have also been a little worried about them because as you can see I tend to get rid of all of my bass heavy headphones. I really didn't care for the sound signature of the Sextetts or the DT770's. On the other hand I really loved the SR80's sound signature but didn't listen to them anymore because the HD580's sounded better in every way.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I think you should consider what exactly it is you want that your HD580 isn't giving you.

If you really like the grado-sound signature, going down the grado line might be a good idea.

The denons are interseting to try. I don't know about colored, but I found the Denon to be clearer and more lively than the 580s....I don't know if 600 grills fix that on the 580s, but I always found the sound a little muddled on my 580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back