Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 31, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #15,017 of 18,892
Has anyone reading this ever compared the TT2 to the Mytek Brooklyn Dac +? I'm considering splurging on a TT2, but I would love to know if it will be better, similar, or just different?

Also I must ask, is the headphone amp in the TT2 really as good as they say or do you guys get better results from another amp?
@Dan Lee check out Mytek thread for my answer. TT2 amp is great but I think there are other options. It will also depend on your headphones. However considering all the design of TT2 I would rather keep it without external amp, unless you are more into final sound signature and do not care about possible transparency or distortion issues when adding another link to TT2 audion chain. I think there was a good reason why Rob Watts added amp to TT2.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #15,019 of 18,892
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #15,021 of 18,892
I don’t know why people still use the TT2 to drive speakers. You spent all that money for a great DAC. Pair it with a nice amp or intergtate. You can then use any speaker if choice and have an amazing system.
I was just curious what my primaluna dialog integrated tube amplifier was adding and subtracting. Knowing the possibly analytical highly resolving nature of the tt2 might help me decide to stick to the colouring combination of heritage special and tube amp or explore eigentakt stuff or...

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #15,022 of 18,892
Has anyone reading this ever compared the TT2 to the Mytek Brooklyn Dac +? I'm considering splurging on a TT2, but I would love to know if it will be better, similar, or just different?

Also I must ask, is the headphone amp in the TT2 really as good as they say or do you guys get better results from another amp?

Personally with ZMF Verite, it's quite hard to top the performance of headphone out from TT2. Unless you go to tube route for different flavour.

I have tried tons of SS amp, but none of them more expensive than TT2's price though.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #15,025 of 18,892
Is there a preferred input on the tt2/hms or all inputs created equal?
If you are using mScaler, dual BNC. If you need input >192kHz, then you will need USB. But for CD quality, I find optical to be noiseless and easiest. You can use USB if you have a very electrically quiet implementation. Search around and you will see people spending many thousands on on USB streamers and servers. I find a Raspberry Pi with quality optical hat works just fine and most of my music is streamed at CD quality and I virtually have no hi-res recordings over 192. Your use cases may be different. But, for a perfectly quiet implementation, Rob Watts recommends optical. Some will say USB can sound better.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #15,026 of 18,892
If you are using mScaler, dual BNC. If you need input >192kHz, then you will need USB. But for CD quality, I find optical to be noiseless and easiest. You can use USB if you have a very electrically quiet implementation. Search around and you will see people spending many thousands on on USB streamers and servers. I find a Raspberry Pi with quality optical hat works just fine and most of my music is streamed at CD quality and I virtually have no hi-res recordings over 192. Your use cases may be different. But, for a perfectly quiet implementation, Rob Watts recommends optical. Some will say USB can sound better.
What is your raspberry pi setup, may one ask?

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #15,027 of 18,892
What is your raspberry pi setup, may one ask?
Sure. I had been using the RPi3 running DietPi with HiFiBerry Digi+ hat optical to mScaler. I recently switched to the Digi2 Pro hat (because it has to be better, right?) and to HiFiBerry O/S because it’s super easy. Can’t say I notice a big difference with the “upgrade” but it’s not worse, at least. Maybe (maybe) a bit cleaner sounding, but likely placebo, since it’s only optical transmission. I’m using the Mapleshade 14’ optical cable because it allows me to keep the Pi further away from mScaler and TT2.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #15,028 of 18,892
Sure. I had been using the RPi3 running DietPi with HiFiBerry Digi+ hat optical to mScaler. I recently switched to the Digi2 Pro hat (because it has to be better, right?) and to HiFiBerry O/S because it’s super easy. Can’t say I notice a big difference with the “upgrade” but it’s not worse, at least. Maybe (maybe) a bit cleaner sounding, but likely placebo, since it’s only optical transmission. I’m using the Mapleshade 14’ optical cable because it allows me to keep the Pi further away from mScaler and TT2.
I think I’ll give it a go with similar kit, but with usb out ….

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #15,030 of 18,892
If you want USB you don’t need the hat. Also, I hear Allo is good and not budget-breaking.
I think my base level of necessary faff necessitates that my raspberry pi has an extra board with associated benefits !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back