Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 14, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #14,807 of 18,886
It is still worrying, the considerable amount of TT2 that go to technical service
I agree though I suspect it relates more to a bad batch of boards with a flawed inrush limiter. I’m pretty confident that was my issue since I could initiate the device with a battery and then quickly switch to the stock PSU when the caps were charged. Obviously I still wonder why the battery could initiate start up in place of the PSU but I’ll leave that to those with more in-depth knowledge. Hopefully I’ll never have to worry about it again!

Edit: for those with time on their hands and a thirst to know more, here’s a link:
https://www.ametherm.com/blog/inrus...ush-current-limiter-the-single-part-solution/

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #14,810 of 18,886
Apologies if I am traversing old ground... I plan to order a Chord Hugo TT 2 to upgrade my Qutest. The TT2 will feed my Luxman L 505uxii integrated which has a phono amp/stage connected for my turntable. If I understand this correctly, when listening to digital sources and needing to drive speakers, I could choose to use the TT2 as a digital pre amp (and run the Luxman as separate power amp) or use the Luxman integrated analogue pre amp and use the TT2 as a DAC only. The former option will be a pain because I will need use different volume controls for analogue vs digital. The question is therefore will the SQ increases of option 1. outweigh the inconvenience. Interested in your thoughts.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #14,811 of 18,886
Do you drive them from the rear XLR out on the TT2? I’ve been reading about them but it looks like the Stealth thread has gone south a bit.
Front

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #14,812 of 18,886
Hi All,

If you're looking for dual BNC, Cleareraudio Silver-line Optimus Reference 75 Digital Interconnect 1M in classifieds section :wink:.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #14,813 of 18,886
Before I pull the trigger on my demo unit, I was wondering if somebody could share any wisdom around the "noise" I posted about before. In short, if I hold my ear right next to the volume ball / headphone jack, there is a very faint electrical-type noise. If no headphones are plugged in, this is not audible. I hear nothing through the headphones themselves of course.

I suspect this is normal?

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #14,814 of 18,886
Before I pull the trigger on my demo unit, I was wondering if somebody could share any wisdom around the "noise" I posted about before. In short, if I hold my ear right next to the volume ball / headphone jack, there is a very faint electrical-type noise. If no headphones are plugged in, this is not audible. I hear nothing through the headphones themselves of course.

I suspect this is normal?
It's from this dot matrix green screen. When the screen is not displaying anything it's quiet.
When there is something on display (changing volume etc) faint hiss (high pitch noise) can be heard.
It's pretty normal with TT2.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #14,820 of 18,886
I agree though I suspect it relates more to a bad batch of boards with a flawed inrush limiter. I’m pretty confident that was my issue since I could initiate the device with a battery and then quickly switch to the stock PSU when the caps were charged. Obviously I still wonder why the battery could initiate start up in place of the PSU but I’ll leave that to those with more in-depth knowledge. Hopefully I’ll never have to worry about it again!

Edit: for those with time on their hands and a thirst to know more, here’s a link:
https://www.ametherm.com/blog/inrus...ush-current-limiter-the-single-part-solution/

It's for sure good to hear you are all OK now.

@ the TT2 thread

Something puzzled me over Rob's 'inrush current limiter' theory and using a battery. Rob's own description of using batteries for power supplies, is that they are capable of huge 'dynamic current'. That's in his own words.

Well if the TT2 won't start with the PSU, because it's providing too much current (over 4 amps I think). Then how is the battery not doing the same, if it's capable of huge cynamic current. It's almost as if, using battery cuts of current delivery safely at or under 4 amps.

Anyway I am no expert and sincerely am not meaning to ruffle feathers. Am confused.

Also would it no be prudent for Chord to issue new PSU to TT2 owners? If a TT2 goes down out of warranty for an issue they knew about, it would not look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back