Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #14,716 of 18,895
Yea, @Rob Watts may want to add a safety feature in the code somewhere to prevent this from happening. Should be possible to detect sudden large volume changes and protect against them.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #14,719 of 18,895
This is what I've noticed as well. It's as soon as I touch it and haven't started turning it. Also, there's no part of the ball which makes contact with the board, if you look at the design, there''s a stem/rod connected to the back of the ball which turns and the sensor is behind that. So the ball can be dirty and not really impact the sensor. It's just a very sensitive sensor and sometimes a touch makes it jump. It's happened to me once on the Hugo 2 where it jumped to max volume and now with the TT2 where it jumped from +0 to +10, which made me jump out of my chair as well.
Yep, that's pretty much what's happening on both of our devices (and probably the others, too).

Thankfully, my volume jump has never been so bad that it hurt my ears - the change in volume is still rather substantial, though. It's equivalent to a color change on the (Hugo 2's) wheel.

...the track-balls on a computer mouse can have the same issue, due to grime on desktops. I take them apart and clean them. Take-apart not an option here, but maybe a wipe-rotate-wipe cleaning protocol? Or the remote.
I actually wipe my Hugo 2 after each period of use, including the ball. This issue isn't so widespread that it renders the Hugo 2 unusable, though; still, it rears its head from time to time.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #14,721 of 18,895
Ok this is the first time of hearing this issue. I have a newer unit. Hasn’t happened yet. It is relatively clean. Might use the remote though as I’m getting a speaker amp and not trying to blow my ears. Hahahaha

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #14,722 of 18,895
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #14,724 of 18,895
In case anyone finds this helpful...

While I don't own and don't plan to ever own the Susvara, I have seen countless posts here and elsewhere starting from the premise that it is necessary to plug the damn things :) into the back of the TT2 and then asking how to do so safely. I believe even Rob Watts has been repeatedly asked how to do it, but maybe not also whether it is necessary.

This new review (starting at 11:35 and specifically about the TT2 at 19:35) appears to reject the notion that the front headphone jacks don't have enough power for the Susvara. I have no way of testing it myself, but he seems to be speaking sense and to have done the research to backup the claim. In fact, he is inviting challenges to his findings.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #14,725 of 18,895
In case anyone finds this helpful...

While I don't own and don't plan to ever own the Susvara, I have seen countless posts here and elsewhere starting from the premise that it is necessary to plug the damn things :) into the back of the TT2 and then asking how to do so safely. I believe even Rob Watts has been repeatedly asked how to do it, but maybe not also whether it is necessary.

This new review (starting at 11:35 and specifically about the TT2 at 19:35) appears to reject the notion that the front headphone jacks don't have enough power for the Susvara. I have no way of testing it myself, but he seems to be speaking sense and to have done the research to backup the claim. In fact, he is inviting challenges to his findings.

I don’t think I buy it. My Aryas sound so much better from the rear XLRs. Fuller, more bass, treble less harsh. I’m buying a speaker amp with 100w 8ohms see if it makes a difference with the Susvaras.

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #14,726 of 18,895
I don’t think I buy it. My Aryas sound so much better from the rear XLRs. Fuller, more bass, treble less harsh. I’m buying a speaker amp with 100w 8ohms see if it makes a difference with the Susvaras.
Yes exactly XLR being less transparent and just cover Arya's faults. Aryas are nice headphones but they are too harsh on top treble is too accented. On some recordings it's okay but on the others it's just to much. That's why you prefer XLR over se. Believe me it's not about the power. Definitely not with Arya.

Oh as for your 100wat amplifier. I bet you will like it with Arya. Why ? Cuz it will be even less transparent than XLR from tt2 hence it will modify sound of the Arya that you will like it even more. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just a constant loop of matching components.
Write your impressions when you get this amplifier.

Btw. Yes I listened to Arya with TT2. And i didn't like it, it was too bright/harsh on top. What's more interesting I've also listened Arya with TT1 which is less transparent and much less powerful, and you kow what ? i liked it more, and my impressions were similar to yours fuller bass less harsh top. But it was never a matter of power.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #14,727 of 18,895
Yes exactly XLR being less transparent and just cover Arya's faults. Aryas are nice headphones but they are too harsh on top treble is too accented. On some recordings it's okay but on the others it's just to much. That's why you prefer XLR over se. Believe me it's not about the power. Definitely not with Arya.

Oh as for your 100wat amplifier. I bet you will like it with Arya. Why ? Cuz it will be even less transparent than XLR from tt2 hence it will modify sound of the Arya that you will like it even more. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just a constant loop of matching components.
Write your impressions when you get this amplifier.

Btw. Yes I listened to Arya with TT2. And i didn't like it, it was too bright/harsh on top. What's more interesting I've also listened Arya with TT1 which is less transparent and much less powerful, and you kow what ? i liked it more, and my impressions were similar to yours fuller bass less harsh top. But it was never a matter of power.
So how much power does the Susvara need? Dave enough for you? There must be an ideal amount of watts for the Susvara. Also why when I try to EQ the Susvara with a low bass shelf from the rear of the TT2 it doesn’t do much. Similar when you connect an Arya to a cell phone and try to EQ a low bass shelf as well.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #14,728 of 18,895
Also why when I try to EQ the Susvara with a low bass shelf from the rear of the TT2 it doesn’t do much.
TT2 is providing almost 8watts to the Susvara with ample current. That's not the issue.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #14,729 of 18,895
You need something like this: https://www.schiit.com/products/sys
And you have to use an external amp. You can’t make it work with TT2 alone, because the amplification is integrated with the DAC.

That Schiit is a low quality pre amp solution. I suspect something like a Topping Pre90 is the most economical pre amp that would do justice to something like a Chord TT2.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #14,730 of 18,895
That Schiit is a low quality pre amp solution. I suspect something like a Topping Pre90 is the most economical pre amp that would do justice to something like a Chord TT2.
Yes agree, you do want an instrument grade preamp with a Chord DAC to ensure it's as transparent as possible. The Topping Pre90 would also be my choice if I was on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back