Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #14,671 of 18,886
I'm about to take a chance for everyone here. I will be able to compare it to the two TOTL planars to see if they are in the same league. I have really enjoyed their headphones in the past, so I am hoping for a home run.

I know @mrspeakers is a fan of the Chord products and I'm sure he's tested these extensively with the TT2. Any thoughts about this pairing?
Great…just what I needed! Better get my credit card ready if you like them :gs1000smile:

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #14,672 of 18,886
After have a bad luck pairing with Verite Open, now I got loaned of TT2 again for Diana Phi.

Oh my gosh, definitely a pairing that I would be proud of. It's only initial impression though (less than an hour).

Everything seems cohesive, extremely fluid, clean micro detail presented in such effortless way, that I believe will never cause ear fatigue. Midrange become clean, full body, and I get the lush feeling which is perfect for my taste. Not syrupy, but definitely far from dry.

Also, bass, here is the solid punch with full control and accuracy.

I'm not sure if using XLR output will result better result? Need to create adapter first though. The 6.3mm output is powerful, currently I listen at -21 High gain.
You don’t need an entire converter; just buy two of these. I have them and they work perfectly. Of course you’ll need a dual XLR headphone cable…

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...na3f5f_3_Pole_XLR_Female_to.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #14,674 of 18,886
I bought the DCA Stealth
Ether 2 has been a ‘keeper’ for me (great direct out of tt2), so I’m very curious about these. Did they give you a delivery date estimate?

Lots of missing info from product page: weight? sensitivity? impedance? Of course Mr. Headphones was never overly forthcoming with specifications, so why expect different from DCA? :grin:

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #14,675 of 18,886
Ether 2 has been a ‘keeper’ for me (great direct out of tt2), so I’m very curious about these. Did they give you a delivery date estimate?

Lots of missing info from product page: weight? sensitivity? impedance? Of course Mr. Headphones was never overly forthcoming with specifications, so why expect different from DCA? :grin:
415g weight. 86db sensitivity

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #14,676 of 18,886
You don’t need an entire converter; just buy two of these. I have them and they work perfectly. Of course you’ll need a dual XLR headphone cable…

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...na3f5f_3_Pole_XLR_Female_to.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

Nah, I already ordered a XLR converter, let's see what will happen. Actually the single ended power 2.7W supposed to be more than enough for Diana Phi (32Ohm). But curiosity may kill a cat, so need to remove it from my mind.

Day 2 with TT2, still sounds good, easily obliterate multiple amps that I've tried to synergise with Diana Phi (with Hugo 2 as DAC).

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #14,677 of 18,886
Nah, I already ordered a XLR converter, let's see what will happen. Actually the single ended power 2.7W supposed to be more than enough for Diana Phi (32Ohm). But curiosity may kill a cat, so need to remove it from my mind.

Day 2 with TT2, still sounds good, easily obliterate multiple amps that I've tried to synergise with Diana Phi (with Hugo 2 as DAC).
Make sure to volume match, else XLR will sound better (louder)

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #14,678 of 18,886
I came across a DC 5V - 30V power supply in the EISA awards, in the latest edition of HiFi News.

It's called Ferrum Hypsos. https://ferrum.audio/hypsos/

Output voltage can even be fine tuned. However at quick glance I can't find any information about RFI filtering on the output. I guess it must employ clean output somehow, or it would not have won an award.

Might be of interest to anyone whose TT2 no longer starts with the Chord DC charger. As voltage could be set to e.g. 14.9V. ... At £1,100 it's lot of moey for a PSU though, unless it improves TT2 sound.

I am guessing it has the potential to better than the Chord charger also, in terms of sound. Unless of course it stands, what Rob Watts says about the TT2 power supply being perfect. It's probably more useful to DACs that don't have a power supply that is a clean as the TT2.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #14,679 of 18,886
I came across a DC 5V - 30V power supply in the EISA awards, in the latest edition of HiFi News.

Output voltage can even be fine tuned. However at quick glance I can't find any information about RFI filtering on the output. I guess it must employ clean output somehow, or it would not have won an award.

Might be of interest to anyone whose TT2 no longer starts with the Chord DC charger. As voltage could be set to e.g. 14.9V. ... At £1,100 it's lot of moey for a PSU though, unless it improves TT2 sound.

I am guessing it has the potential to better than the Chord charger also, in terms of sound. Unless of course it stands, what Rob Watts says about the TT2 power supply being perfect. It's probably more useful to DACs that don't have a power supply that is a clean as the TT2.
The TT2 uses supercapacitors and that would contribute more to the 'clean' power being used than a change of power supply. That's my understanding anyway.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #14,680 of 18,886

This product comes from HEM and until their conflict about IP with Mytek is resolved I would be very careful about making any purchase with them putting apart all the thing Mr Watts already said about using 3rd party psu.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #14,681 of 18,886

I am in the midst of getting my TT2 repaired as it won’t initiate using the stock PSU. I used a 12 volt battery to initiate the start up and then quickly switched to the PSU; the device then continued to operate. Rob Watts noted in an earlier post that this could be a faulty inrush limiter. Of course I have no clue why the battery would initiate if the inrush limiter is flawed but sometimes the battery took a couple of tries before the start up would initiate. I don’t think a different PSU would matter. Hopefully I’ll have a diagnosis soon.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #14,682 of 18,886
I am in the midst of getting my TT2 repaired as it won’t initiate using the stock PSU. I used a 12 volt battery to initiate the start up and then quickly switched to the PSU; the device then continued to operate. Rob Watts noted in an earlier post that this could be a faulty inrush limiter. Of course I have no clue why the battery would initiate if the inrush limiter is flawed but sometimes the battery took a couple of tries before the start up would initiate. I don’t think a different PSU would matter. Hopefully I’ll have a diagnosis soon.

Thank you for replying. I had forgotten what it was that Rob said it was caused the issue. "Faulty inrush limiter".

I searched the thread for "over voltage" I think, and found no results. I was going to also ask if anyone had the pages bookmarked where Rob Watts discussed this. I wanted to reread his words. I ususally copy and paste anything that Rob says, that relates to anything I am interested in. Then compile it all in a word-document, but I forgot to do it for this discussion. Although my TT2 is working fine, I wanted to reread what he said, because I forgot what he said.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #14,683 of 18,886
When using a TT2 before a separate preamplifier (e.g a tube preamplifier or a more powerful integrated amp), do you put the TT2 in DAC, or AMP mode? Is there any sq benefit of using one mode over the other on this kind of chain?

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #14,684 of 18,886
Thank you for replying. I had forgotten what it was that Rob said it was caused the issue. "Faulty inrush limiter".

I searched the thread for "over voltage" I think, and found no results. I was going to also ask if anyone had the pages bookmarked where Rob Watts discussed this. I wanted to reread his words. I ususally copy and paste anything that Rob says, that relates to anything I am interested in. Then compile it all in a word-document, but I forgot to do it for this discussion. Although my TT2 is working fine, I wanted to reread what he said, because I forgot what he said.
Here’s one link; I’ll see if I have others.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.879425/post-16003996

Edit: here’s another link:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-596#post-15594616

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #14,685 of 18,886
When using a TT2 before a separate preamplifier (e.g a tube preamplifier or a more powerful integrated amp), do you put the TT2 in DAC, or AMP mode? Is there any sq benefit of using one mode over the other on this kind of chain?
Either is just as good. DAC mode is convenient, and amp mode allows you to (potentially) over-drive the inputs on your amp or preamp. But the user manual explicitly discusses (in the 'Amplification mode' section) how to attenuate output from the '...3V line-level signal...' to match a preamp or power amp.

And in the 'DAC mode' section, it states:

'If you require a line-level signal, less than 2.5V, please use Amplification Mode in low gain mode and attenuate the signal as appropriate.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back