Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #13,891 of 18,886
I was very unsure to upgrade from Hugo 2, as some said that the the sheer resolution would also make it less enjoyable with some recordings.
But now after owning one for about half a year, I can just say I absolutely love the transparency. You can hear the flaws of each recording but also what they have done right is more enjoyable. Sometimes it‘s almost like if you can hear beyond the microphones and recording equipment better while at the same time beeing aware of the flaws that this equipment brought. I hope this makes sense😁
Regarding power for speakers... I will just wait until Chord releases Robs amplifiers.
You will have plenty of time to save up the money.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-16348811

May 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #13,892 of 18,886
For what its worth, few observation (< 48 hrs) of using TT2.

The DAC is a clear upgrade over Qutest ( Qutest is no slouch though) but TT2 takes it to another level esp when paired with MScaler. I have been using v281 amp with my Qutest / MScaler combo and was hoping I might not need v281 anymore as TT2 has an excellent amp but with my limited time with it I am not exactly sure yet. TT2 for sure drives my VC / HD880s aplomb and very transparent. But for my ears I feel v281 (either XLR or RCA output of TT2 in DAC mode) gives me much more dynamics and slam (more rounded) and I am also able to pick up instruments separation bit better when using amp. Of Course to each their own but just wanted to share my observation.

Have to say the 16 or so seconds wait time is killing when I try to do A/B comparison when switching TT2 from DAC to Headphone mode...oh well...

Also, is there a burn in period for TT2 like few other amps? I don't recall coming across one but just curious to know if I can expect a change over a period of time with TT2's amp?

Thanks

May 15, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #13,893 of 18,886
For what its worth, few observation (< 48 hrs) of using TT2.

The DAC is a clear upgrade over Qutest ( Qutest is no slouch though) but TT2 takes it to another level esp when paired with MScaler. I have been using v281 amp with my Qutest / MScaler combo and was hoping I might not need v281 anymore as TT2 has an excellent amp but with my limited time with it I am not exactly sure yet. TT2 for sure drives my VC / HD880s aplomb and very transparent. But for my ears I feel v281 (either XLR or RCA output of TT2 in DAC mode) gives me much more dynamics and slam (more rounded) and I am also able to pick up instruments separation bit better when using amp. Of Course to each their own but just wanted to share my observation.

Have to say the 16 or so seconds wait time is killing when I try to do A/B comparison when switching TT2 from DAC to Headphone mode...oh well...

Also, is there a burn in period for TT2 like few other amps? I don't recall coming across one but just curious to know if I can expect a change over a period of time with TT2's amp?

Thanks

You can cut out the time from going from DAC mode to amp mode.

If you set the TT2 to AMP mode instead of DAC mode: then set gain at -5dB. It's the same singal voltage out as TT2 in DAC mode.

Then make sure the TT2 is in either 'low gain' for both AMP mode and headphone mode. ... Or TT2 to 'high gain' for both AMP mode and headphone mode.

That will eliminate the TT2 resetting. It works as long as the rear ports and headphone ports, are in the same gain setting.

(It's the changing from 'low gain' to 'high gain' or vice-versa that causes the TT2 to reset.)

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #13,894 of 18,886
You can cut out the time from going from DAC mode to amp mode.

If you set the TT2 to AMP mode instead of DAC mode: then set gain at -5dB. It's the same singal voltage out as TT2 in DAC mode.

Then make sure the TT2 is in either 'low gain' for both AMP mode and headphone mode. ... Or TT2 to 'high gain' for both AMP mode and headphone mode.

That will eliminate the TT2 resetting. It works as long as the rear ports and headphone ports, are in the same gain setting.

(It's the chaging from 'low gain' to 'high gain' or vice-versa that causes the TT2 to reset.)
Oh man! Makes sense and thanks for that info there @GreenBow. You save me lot of time actually.

May 15, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #13,895 of 18,886
I have been using v281 amp with my Qutest / MScaler combo and was hoping I might not need v281 anymore as TT2 has an excellent amp but with my limited time with it I am not exactly sure yet. TT2 for sure drives my VC / HD880s aplomb and very transparent. But for my ears I feel v281 (either XLR or RCA output of TT2 in DAC mode) gives me much more dynamics and slam (more rounded) and I am also able to pick up instruments separation bit better when using amp.
Try to listen to TT2 only for a week or two. After that return to V281 and compare. I sold my Violectric after doing so.

V2xx are great amps, but that bass slam is actually a result of bigger (in comparison to TT2) distortion. It took some time, but after I got used to more precise sound bloated bass became very obvious.

May 16, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #13,896 of 18,886
Try to listen to TT2 only for a week or two. After that return to V281 and compare. I sold my Violectric after doing so.

V2xx are great amps, but that bass slam is actually a result of bigger (in comparison to TT2) distortion. It took some time, but after I got used to more precise sound bloated bass became very obvious.

+1 for these findings the v281 (using utopia) flattens out the sound stage, which was especially noticeable with the mscaler which itself adds considerable depth. I found thr v281 did add body in bass and mids but at the cost of definition and separation obscuring fine detail. It took me a few weeks to truly appreciate the Tt2. I appreciate this might be case of personal preferences but I find Tt2’s resolving powers very addictive, pulling me deeper into the mix. I was a big fan of the violectric but I found the Tt2/ mscaler irrevocably exposed its flaws and my love/ hate for this hobby :wink:

May 16, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #13,897 of 18,886
Hey folks,

I *thought* I had read a detailed breakdown of how many of the TT2's ~98k taps were used for each level of upsampling but I can't seem to find a link or quote. I remember there being a few stages to the upsampling performed, some (most?) of which were bypassed when using an Mscaler and/or when feeding the TT2 with higher sample rates over USB.

If anyone has the verbose details, could I get a link or a list out of the various upsampling stages and tap lengths therein?

Cheers,
Ty

May 16, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #13,898 of 18,886

I will give it a try, using just TT2 for few days and then do a A/B with v281. I remember how much I fell in love with just chord mojo as dac/amp to drive my hd650 and that took my chord journey to qutest and Mscaler and now Mscaler/TT2. So I am sure amp in TT2 is excellent but just that using 281 for two years I got used to that sound signature I think.

May 16, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #13,899 of 18,886
So I am sure amp in TT2 is excellent but just that using 281 for two years I got used to that sound signature I think.
I used to own V281, pairing it with Hugo 2 driving Diana V2 and found that V281 was super powerful (more than I would ever need), but I liked its warmth/darkness less, than clean/transparent Hugo 2 with BX2-Plus portable amp. When I upgraded to TT2, I found its output much cleaner and more resolving, than V281. So it really could be that you are used to V281, OR that you just prefer that kind of sonic characteristics, which is absolutely fine.

May 17, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #13,900 of 18,886
Hi all, are there any other headphones closed type better than Aeon2 Closed from Dan Clark. I really like the signature, but wonder would other also be good and benefit from TT2 and HMS as Aeon2 Closed. Do you have any experience? Thank you.

May 17, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #13,902 of 18,886
Hi all, are there any other headphones closed type better than Aeon2 Closed from Dan Clark. I really like the signature, but wonder would other also be good and benefit from TT2 and HMS as Aeon2 Closed. Do you have any experience? Thank you.

ZMF Verite Closed for me

May 17, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #13,903 of 18,886
How many folks who have an HMS/TT2 combo have noticed an improvement in SQ by using upgraded BNC cables?

May 17, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #13,904 of 18,886
How many folks who have an HMS/TT2 combo have noticed an improvement in SQ by using upgraded BNC cables?
Yes, I mean many :wink:
But don't waste your time or/and money on just any cables as the effects will be minimal.
Go straight to a ferrited cables or opto DX solution.

May 17, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #13,905 of 18,886
My Focal Stellia sound good with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back