Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #12,677 of 18,886
I feel that proper upscaling, filtering... be it mscaler, hqplayer, roon etc, if done right allows for less fatigue and longer listening sessions.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #12,679 of 18,886
My M Scaler just arrived about two hours ago. My plan is to listen for a week with the M Scaler to let my ears (and brain) acclimate to the differences and then take it away and listen straight from the TT2 to see how much feels like it is "missing". At this level, I always find it easier to notice differences on the way down than on the way up. Recently I found this to be the case when I was testing my Qutest against the TT2...

I would listen to the Qutest for a while and then switch to the TT2...I would think, yeah I think there is a bit more space, a bit more separation, etc., then, after growing accustomed to the TT2 for a day I switched back to the Qutest and everything collapsed. The sound stage was significantly smaller, the air, space, and detail were significantly diminished. I am not sure why it works that way, but it always seems to follow a similar pattern. You will notice the differences most on the way down.

I will keep you posted. Right now, it is hard to put into words the effect of the M Scaler. Perhaps, it is clarity, perhaps it is space. Not sure how to describe it. My initial impression is that the M Scaler should be priced around $2250. At this point, I am not sure it should be priced nearly the same as the TT2 itself. It would be like buying a $250,000 ECU flash or exhaust for a $250,000 Lamborghini. Should the performance upgrade really be priced nearly the same as the item itself? I am not so sure.
You could use it with a DAVE instead of the TT2 and then it would be about the right price differential. :wink:

I agree that it's easier to notice the difference when you remove it after getting used to it. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, etc.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #12,680 of 18,886
My TT2 will go to service centre. BNC 1 is definitely something broken. Very sad... :scream:
I talked with service centre engineer, and he said it must check in....
How long it will take time to repair, I have no idea. Without TT 2, my life is ruined. My goodness!!!

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #12,681 of 18,886
My TT2 will go to service centre. BNC 1 is definitely something broken. Very sad... :scream:
I talked with service centre engineer, and he said it must check in....
How long it will take time to repair, I have no idea. Without TT 2, my life is ruined. My goodness!!!

Good luck. It's good when you firmly identify the issue, you know it will be fixed. Mine has been away for one month to the day.

Chord support understood the issue, then when it arrived to the distributor they could not replicate the issue (but had not tried with headphones and had not read Chord support's e-mail instructions - what, why?!?), and then they finally sent it to the main warranty repair location for Western Europe as Chord support had asked. So I am hoping the unit comes back to me soon but also fixed, not as it was.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #12,682 of 18,886
Good luck. It's good when you firmly identify the issue, you know it will be fixed. Mine has been away for one month to the day.

Chord support understood the issue, then when it arrived to the distributor they could not replicate the issue (but had not tried with headphones and had not read Chord support's e-mail instructions - what, why?!?), and then they finally sent it to the main warranty repair location for Western Europe as Chord support had asked. So I am hoping the unit comes back to me soon but also fixed, not as it was.
Thanks, I hope that it will not that serious problem. Just don't get over 192K PCM. All other signals are no problem on BNC 1.
Maybe it is more complicate? I hope not....
A month long it away from you?! My goodness, my m-scaler is now alone in the rack. My heart also alone in the rack, too!

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #12,683 of 18,886
Thanks, I hope that it will not that serious problem. Just don't get over 192K PCM. All other signals are no problem on BNC 1.
Maybe it is more complicate? I hope not....
A month long it away from you?! My goodness, my m-scaler is now alone in the rack. My heart also alone in the rack, too!

Try to put a positive spin on it. For example as a result of this I reconnected the H2 and rediscovered how great it sounds. Now I am enjoying this and also the knowledge that I avoided making a mistake (selling the H2). :)

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #12,684 of 18,886
Does anyone know if Chord has an authorized repair center in the US or will my Qutest need to go back to the UK? I am glad I have the TT2 + HMS to keep me company while the Qutest (that got demoted to office duty) may need to be sent in. I am getting a lot of "static" sound over whatever is playing regardless of what input I am using, so the problem appears to be in the RCA output path. Is there any way to do a "hard reset" on the Qutest? I have tried to replace every other component and cable and the issue persists.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #12,685 of 18,886
That's not true, it absolutely will! The TT2 is a DAC/Preamp/Amp - it can handle any of those three jobs. If you get a power amp (amplifier without a volume control) then you can hook up the TT2 to it and control the volume through the TT2. Think of a power amp as a an amplifier with it's volume always on max.

It seems you are lacking an understanding of some basic component types. Let us know what you're trying to accomplish and we'll help you get there. The TT2 is one of the most versatile devices out there, so there's not much you can't do with it!

If I use TT2 as pre amp will it color the sound when it arrives to my main tube amp or will it simply just give it a bit more power?

Does TT2 have voltage options if I want to only use it as a DAC like with Qutest so I can get the sound a bit louder that way, or is preamp the better way to go?

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #12,686 of 18,886
If I use TT2 as pre amp will it color the sound when it arrives to my main tube amp or will it simply just give it a bit more power?

Does TT2 have voltage options if I want to only use it as a DAC like with Qutest so I can get the sound a bit louder that way, or is preamp the better way to go?

It cannot act as an analog pre. If you are asking if there is any coloration operating in Amp mode vs DAC mode, no, not at all, no new electronics. Further, if you operate amp mode in Hi G, you will go through one fewer resistor, so slightly less coloration (absolutely minuscule, like if your ears can hear the difference it is unsafe for you to go outside into the world.)

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #12,687 of 18,886
Does anyone know if Chord has an authorized repair center in the US or will my Qutest need to go back to the UK? I am glad I have the TT2 + HMS to keep me company while the Qutest (that got demoted to office duty) may need to be sent in. I am getting a lot of "static" sound over whatever is playing regardless of what input I am using, so the problem appears to be in the RCA output path. Is there any way to do a "hard reset" on the Qutest? I have tried to replace every other component and cable and the issue persists.
There is one @ 1009 Oakmead Drive, Arlington, TX, 76011

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #12,688 of 18,886
It cannot act as an analog pre. If you are asking if there is any coloration operating in Amp mode vs DAC mode, no, not at all, no new electronics. Further, if you operate amp mode in Hi G, you will go through one fewer resistor, so slightly less coloration (absolutely minuscule, like if your ears can hear the difference it is unsafe for you to go outside into the world.)

Very few dac/amps can be analog pre amps correct? Since they are all in ones I assume.

I'm going from Qutest without M Scaler to TT2 with M Scaler.

Feeding this to Auris Nirvana and then Susvara headphones.

Just wanted to make sure headphones with M Scaler would be a worthwhile upgrade from the Qutest alone. Since Susvara are so resolving I'm assuming it would be?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #12,689 of 18,886
Very few dac/amps can be analog pre amps correct? Since they are all in ones I assume.

I'm going from Qutest without M Scaler to TT2 with M Scaler.

Feeding this to Auris Nirvana and then Susvara headphones.

Just wanted to make sure headphones with M Scaler would be a worthwhile upgrade from the Qutest alone. Since Susvara are so resolving I'm assuming it would be?
I have the Qutest, the TT2, and the M Scaler. The leap from the Qutest without the M Scaler to the TT2 without the M Scaler offers quite a significant improvement on its own. Adding the M Scaler to the TT2 just magnifies the gap even further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back