Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #12,661 of 18,851
Hello, today my TT 2 start weird behavior. Kind of error, that whenever I start PCM over 192Khz, front indicator is fast blinking, and I only hear noise. It is only BNC 1 has this problem.
This same problem was occured when power source is not sufficient, like when I use 15V 2A adapter. But after I change 15V 4A Linear Power Supply, it never happend. First I thought my power has problem, but power was ok. However, BNC 2 has no problem at all. BNC 2 accept 352 and 384 without any problem. But BNC1 is only accept 44.1 to 192 PCM, and DSD1 and DSD2 has no problem. Only over 192K PCM start this problem on only BNC 1.
Should I ask service centre to repair? Or is there any solution that I can fix it?
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #12,662 of 18,851
Those with HMS/tt2 combo.
When upsampling the 44.1 basic stuff from streaming services to 192 or 768k or whatever. Is the difference quite large or more subtle?

My M Scaler just arrived about two hours ago. My plan is to listen for a week with the M Scaler to let my ears (and brain) acclimate to the differences and then take it away and listen straight from the TT2 to see how much feels like it is "missing". At this level, I always find it easier to notice differences on the way down than on the way up. Recently I found this to be the case when I was testing my Qutest against the TT2...

I would listen to the Qutest for a while and then switch to the TT2...I would think, yeah I think there is a bit more space, a bit more separation, etc., then, after growing accustomed to the TT2 for a day I switched back to the Qutest and everything collapsed. The sound stage was significantly smaller, the air, space, and detail were significantly diminished. I am not sure why it works that way, but it always seems to follow a similar pattern. You will notice the differences most on the way down.

I will keep you posted. Right now, it is hard to put into words the effect of the M Scaler. Perhaps, it is clarity, perhaps it is space. Not sure how to describe it. My initial impression is that the M Scaler should be priced around $2250. At this point, I am not sure it should be priced nearly the same as the TT2 itself. It would be like buying a $250,000 ECU flash or exhaust for a $250,000 Lamborghini. Should the performance upgrade really be priced nearly the same as the item itself? I am not so sure.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #12,663 of 18,851
Hello, today my TT 2 start weird behavior. Kind of error, that whenever I start PCM over 192Khz, front indicator is fast blinking, and I only hear noise. It is only BNC 1 has this problem.
This same problem was occured when power source is not sufficient, like when I use 15V 2A adapter. But after I change 15V 4A Linear Power Supply, it never happend. First I thought my power has problem, but power was ok. However, BNC 2 has no problem at all. BNC 2 accept 352 and 384 without any problem. But BNC1 is only accept 44.1 to 192 PCM, and DSD1 and DSD2 has no problem. Only over 192K PCM start this problem on only BNC 1.
Should I ask service centre to repair? Or is there any solution that I can fix it?
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
Have you tried to switch cables?

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #12,665 of 18,851
Thanks @Gadget67. It is a little frustrating seeing the same questions come up every other page. A simple search of "DAC AMP" on this thread will easily provide the answers.

I have been meaning to create a FAQ post for the TT2 with links to the best responses for each question, but never got the time. One day I will and then we can sticky that post on the first page. I have no doubt that people will still continue to ask those questions though :)

Apologies to @JM1979 if I came across as snarky, but that wasn't my intention. I'm glad you got the info you were seeking. Welcome to the TT2 club!
It’s all good. I’ve actually had my TT2 for a year or two now and have posted on this thread a bunch which is why I got my undies in a knot in the topic. I’m probably just sour from the cyclical RFI discussion and figured it wasn’t a big deal for me to resurface a common question.

Regardless, my TT2 sounds great and I appreciate the help on my question both from you and other pOsters.

Cheers.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #12,667 of 18,851
Cable is looks no problem because when I change cable to BNC 2, it works without problem.
Hard to diagnose long distance. I’d suggest shutting everything down, waiting for a half hour and then power everything back up. If that doesn’t help, try a different music source. You’ve probably already tried these things but if not, see if that does anything.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #12,668 of 18,851
Hard to diagnose long distance. I’d suggest shutting everything down, waiting for a half hour and then power everything back up. If that doesn’t help, try a different music source. You’ve probably already tried these things but if not, see if that does anything.
Agreed. @vcastceo If the same cable works fine on BNC 2 then you can rule the cable out. Might just be a loose connection on the TT2 board. I would still suggest you try a different cable altogether, maybe it will work, but otherwise it sounds like you need to send it in for a checkup.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #12,670 of 18,851
.... My initial impression is that the M Scaler should be priced around $2250. At this point, I am not sure it should be priced nearly the same as the TT2 itself. It would be like buying a $250,000 ECU flash or exhaust for a $250,000 Lamborghini. Should the performance upgrade really be priced nearly the same as the item itself? I am not so sure.
I think it is a very very poor comparison. M Scaler, is the essence of what Rob Watts came up with, after, I believe, 30 years of research, his attempt to solve how to improve digital audio, trial and error for over 30 years. Philosophy and science toils of one man. I'm not just talking about the device itself, but what is inside of it. Try to work on something, for over 30 years, make something incredible, and then one day somebody compares it to an exhaust, even if it is an exhaust to a space ship.
Price aside, we are benefiting from what that one man has done for digital audio, at least I surely am.
I do wish it cost $5 or free, so anybody could use it, but that would be, pretty much, like we were able to build communism :skull:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #12,671 of 18,851
My M Scaler just arrived about two hours ago. My plan is to listen for a week with the M Scaler to let my ears (and brain) acclimate to the differences and then take it away and listen straight from the TT2 to see how much feels like it is "missing". At this level, I always find it easier to notice differences on the way down than on the way up. Recently I found this to be the case when I was testing my Qutest against the TT2...

I would listen to the Qutest for a while and then switch to the TT2...I would think, yeah I think there is a bit more space, a bit more separation, etc., then, after growing accustomed to the TT2 for a day I switched back to the Qutest and everything collapsed. The sound stage was significantly smaller, the air, space, and detail were significantly diminished. I am not sure why it works that way, but it always seems to follow a similar pattern. You will notice the differences most on the way down.

I will keep you posted. Right now, it is hard to put into words the effect of the M Scaler. Perhaps, it is clarity, perhaps it is space. Not sure how to describe it. My initial impression is that the M Scaler should be priced around $2250. At this point, I am not sure it should be priced nearly the same as the TT2 itself. It would be like buying a $250,000 ECU flash or exhaust for a $250,000 Lamborghini. Should the performance upgrade really be priced nearly the same as the item itself? I am not so sure.
When I first received my M-Scaler, my initial reaction was “I paid how much for this?”. Now I can’t live without it. Give it time.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #12,672 of 18,851
I do wish it cost $5 or free, so anybody could use it, but that would be, pretty much, like we were able to build communism :skull:
This sentence may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on Head-fi, and that is really saying something. I was simply stating that, after only listening for an hour, that the right price point for the device in my opinion seems to be around $2250 to $2500 based on the improvements I am hearing. That is a far cry from saying it is "worthless" or discounting Rob Watts' experience and contribution to audio in any way. Your argument is reductio ad absurdum. I stand by my observation that a performance upgrade for a product rarely costs as much as the product itself (especially one that only enhances that product 5-10%). I am the first to admit I have nearly zero experience with the M Scaler, but I stand by my initial observation.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #12,673 of 18,851
When I first received my M-Scaler, my initial reaction was “I paid how much for this?”. Now I can’t live without it. Give it time.

Yes...that pretty much summarizes my initial impressions, but I have an open mind and am excited to use it exclusively for a couple of weeks to adapt to what I am hearing...it sounds great, no question. When I added the TT2, I improved my audio chain quite a bit. The differences the HMS is offering are more nuanced. I don't think anyone would argue that. Classic law of diminishing returns at play. The fact of the matter is, we have to now compare this setup to other $10K products that serve the same purpose. I am a big Chord fan, so am biased...but I love what I am hearing thus far:)

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #12,674 of 18,851

Give it time :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back