Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #12,631 of 18,883
I’m in a little over my head here, but my personal observation is that my new Toslink cable sounds measurably better than my usb connection. The sound is devoid of extraneous noise, there is more detail, bass slam and separation. Now, I currently don’t have any files higher than 192 but even if I did, the absence of noise seems like a good trade off. Am I missing something?
I found optical is also significantly better than usb
I used to run thr curious cable.
Now running a lifatec optical cable. Way better in every way.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #12,632 of 18,883
It all seems a bit mad to me, as if the people who participate in the forum are being directed to use the right words or follow the right protocols before participating.

I could be overly sensitive, or especially caring, but there’s something condescending and a bit disturbing about it.

This is a forum for free spirits, please keep your micromanagement for your significant other, or maybe it’s vice versa, and then this is how you get your release from that scenario.

I’m sure there’s an explanation.
Unfortunately there are some posters who seem to enjoy stirring the pot and creating controversy without caring how it affects others. When I interact with others in person, there are visual cues and a more complete information exchange. There are many who post here for whom English is a second (or even third) language. I’ve had unfortunate exchanges in the past; I either ignore them or take the discussion to pm to clear the air. Honestly it’s almost always a simple misunderstanding. I have to remind myself that it’s hard to communicate effectively in just a few sentences.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #12,634 of 18,883
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #12,635 of 18,883
A website for audio ‘science’ 😉
OMG...I have definitely been down the audio science rabbit hole! I understand and respect the measurement process but I’m inclined to rely heavily on what I hear. The translation of sound through the ear canal to our brain is far more complex than some graph that tells me what I should be hearing.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #12,636 of 18,883
Which Woo amp is that and what tubes are you running? Happy with it?
SaddleSC, the amp is a fully-balanced Woo Audio WA22, and the tubes are a USAF 596 rectifier, the big one in the middle, two Tung Sol 5998 power tubes in the back, and two Sophia Electric 6SN7 driver’s. Yes I am very happy with this amplifier and how it sounds in my system.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #12,637 of 18,883
I already have a NUC running ROCK with Roon as my server. What network streamer do you recommend?
There’s loads of options ranging from tens of $ to thousands, all of which would be 1000 times better than a laptop from an ergonomic standpoint, and significantly better sq. Use an Ipad as a Roon controller.

Cheap: Google chromecast audio connected via optical, Rasberry Pi
Intermediate: Auralic Aries Mini, Innuos Zen Mini
Expensive: Innuos Zenith, Antipodes
If you intend to use Roon, I believe Roon recently tightened up their certification protocol and a few streamers that previously worked without certification no longer do so if added to a system after this update. Check with Roon on their Partner page before purchase, as Innuos is not listed: https://roonlabs.com/partners
Happy for others to chime in and correct me if I've got this wrong.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #12,638 of 18,883

Kindly make your point if you have one. If you don't have files that are higher res than 192 kHz you are not losing anything by using optical. All the numbers you posted are are the maximum frequencies the various inputs can handle. If you don't have anything higher than 192Khz to feed the Mscaler with you are not making any compromises by using optical. The Mscaler does it's job, even with CD quality files.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #12,639 of 18,883
I’m in a little over my head here, but my personal observation is that my new Toslink cable sounds measurably better than my usb connection. The sound is devoid of extraneous noise, there is more detail, bass slam and separation. Now, I currently don’t have any files higher than 192 but even if I did, the absence of noise seems like a good trade off. Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything and your impressions agree with others here and with the words of Rob himself.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #12,640 of 18,883
Kindly make your point if you have one. If you don't have files that are higher res than 192 kHz you are not losing anything by using optical. All the numbers you posted are are the maximum frequencies the various inputs can handle. If you don't have anything higher than 192Khz to feed the Mscaler with you are not making any compromises by using optical. The Mscaler does it's job, even with CD quality files.
Take a 44.1 kHz file using optical and your max upscaling with the mscaler is 176.4khz

Take a 44.1khz file using USB/dual bnc and your max upscaling with the mscaler is 705.6khz

I thought that's what the graph means?

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #12,641 of 18,883
It all seems a bit mad to me, as if the people who participate in the forum are being directed to use the right words or follow the right protocols before participating.

I could be overly sensitive, or especially caring, but there’s something condescending and a bit disturbing about it.

This is a forum for free spirits, please keep your micromanagement for your significant other, or maybe it’s vice versa, and then this is how you get your release from that scenario.

I’m sure there’s an explanation.
Agreed

It's there a way to make a sticky post that stays on page one that answers some of these questions, like a FAQ?

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #12,644 of 18,883
Guys you are mixing things up completely. Input on the m scaler does not affect up sampling rate - it determines what kind of file you can send into the m scaler.
Output connection (single bnc, double bnc, or optical) determines what kind of up sampling (max value) you can achieve.
Input Output - these are two different things !

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #12,645 of 18,883
Guys you are mixing things up completely. Input on the m scaler does not affect up sampling rate - it determines what kind of file you can send into the m scaler.
Output connection (single bnc, double bnc, or optical) determines what kind of up sampling (max value) you can achieve.
Input Output - these are two different things !
Thank you for explaining :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back