Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #12,617 of 18,887
andrewd01, I’m running Roon + Tidal and Qobuz from my 2015 MacBook Pro with an AQ Diamond USB to my Hugo M Scaler, and then of course to my TT2. Don’t the filters in the HMS/TT2 combo negate the need for a stand alone music streamer when it comes to the SQ of my whole hp system, and would any improvement by adding a dedicated streamer be pretty small? I’m just asking because I don’t know. My local audio gear store has Innuos products available that I could demo, but I don’t need a CD ripper or another unit that has a DAC in it. Even though I like the plug & play ease if the Roon Nucleus+, I’ve read that adding a Nucleus+ would do nothing to improve my systems SQ.

I personally hate the ergonomics of having to connect a laptop to the DAC, walk up to the system to start the laptop, start the right software, get constantly nagged for updates etc.

For a Roon endpoint you want something dedicated to the task. Regarding sound quality, my experience is that the source matters, regardless of how immune to noise a DAC design is claimed to be. It is better not to generate the noise in the first place. This topic often generates heated debate in the forums and I am not going to get into the debate if anyone wants to dive down the rabbit hole again.

If you already have a Roon core it is very easy to demo different endpoints, since there is no need to copy any files etc. Just plug and play.
I had good experience with an Innuos Zen, but Antipodes is on a whole different level. For a cheap solution the google chromecast audio with a decent optical cable and Ugreen ethernet connection is surprisingly good (google Darko chromecast to get details).

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #12,618 of 18,887
I have tried turning on the TT2 with USB already connected and without then connecting the USB once it’s fully powered up and in both cases on first play the frequency output from the music software is not what the TT2 expects so it sounds awful and I have to stop the music software and hit play again which changes the frequency on the TT2 and it works normally. Odd maybe it’s an issue with my Mac or the software (audirvana)?

I was going to add that to my post above. All you do is restart the music app.

Music app needs to be started after TT2 has booted completely.

It's the same with web-pages and Youtube. Open browser after booting TT2. ..... Doing it in any other order would mean the music app, Youtube, web-page probably loaded the computer's audio driver.

I get effects like crackling, audio running too fast, or no-sound, if I do it in the wrong order.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #12,619 of 18,887
Not age, but type of input. If you had a source where you could feed optical instead of USB then you could be sure you aren’t feeding and unwanted noise/RFI. I use a relatively inexpensive Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry Digi+ “hat” and HiFiBerry OS to feed optical to mScaler.

Aren't you limiting yourself with the mscaler by using optical which is limited to 192. You can't get the full potential of the mscaler without USB.

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #12,621 of 18,887
I personally hate the ergonomics of having to connect a laptop to the DAC, walk up to the system to start the laptop, start the right software, get constantly nagged for updates etc.

For a Roon endpoint you want something dedicated to the task. Regarding sound quality, my experience is that the source matters, regardless of how immune to noise a DAC design is claimed to be. It is better not to generate the noise in the first place. This topic often generates heated debate in the forums and I am not going to get into the debate if anyone wants to dive down the rabbit hole again.

If you already have a Roon core it is very easy to demo different endpoints, since there is no need to copy any files etc. Just plug and play.
I had good experience with an Innuos Zen, but Antipodes is on a whole different level. For a cheap solution the google chromecast audio with a decent optical cable and Ugreen ethernet connection is surprisingly good (google Darko chromecast to get details).
andrewd01, I hear where you’re coming from, but I’m loath to adding anymore audio gear into my system unless it would definitely be a quantum leap in sound quality. As you can see my listening chain is pretty self contained, and I’m trying my hardest to be happy with it without going even more audiophile crazy. 😀

Attachments

• DE8E8F2C-A344-4C53-B395-D70F9E49A9FF.jpeg
    DE8E8F2C-A344-4C53-B395-D70F9E49A9FF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #12,622 of 18,887
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #12,623 of 18,887
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #12,624 of 18,887
andrewd01, I hear where you’re coming from, but I’m loath to adding anymore audio gear into my system unless it would definitely be a quantum leap in sound quality. As you can see my listening chain is pretty self contained, and I’m trying my hardest to be happy with it without going even more audiophile crazy. 😀
Which Woo amp is that and what tubes are you running? Happy with it?

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #12,625 of 18,887
I did search quite a bit before I asked the question. In searching I found different answers to that question and I was curious if there was a consensus opinion.

I’m currently using Amp mode in high gain at 0.

I’m also not sure why it matters to post a snarky response like this when all this thread does is go around and around on the same topics. Seems like asking the same questions and discussing the same topics keeps this thread alive.
I’m sure @ra990 is not trying to be snarky. I’ve been a Johnny come lately to a couple of long threads and been chided for asking a question that’s been answered somewhere in the previous 800 pages a number of times. I understand the frustration, but if it’s new to me I’ll ask after using the search function If I don’t find an answer. It can be frustrating to deal with repetitive questions so it’s helpful to say “I couldn’t find an answer with the search function”. Trust me, he’s a helpful person!

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #12,626 of 18,887
OK...HUGE UPDATE...my M Scaler has been sitting at the FedEx hub in Memphis since 2/14 with no updates since 2/16 due to severe weather. It was originally shipped on 2/11 for overnight delivery so I was starting to lose hope. Last night, it left Memphis and arrived in Denver. This morning (Sunday) it is showing as Out for Delivery!!!

I haven't been this excited in a LONG LONG time...stay tuned for updates this evening!!!

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #12,627 of 18,887
OK...HUGE UPDATE...my M Scaler has been sitting at the FedEx hub in Memphis since 2/14 with no updates since 2/16 due to severe weather. It was originally shipped on 2/11 for overnight delivery so I was starting to lose hope. Last night, it left Memphis and arrived in Denver. This morning (Sunday) it is showing as Out for Delivery!!!

I haven't been this excited in a LONG LONG time...stay tuned for updates this evening!!!
Wow..it’s not even my package and I’m excited! You are going to love it, but do give it a few days before drawing conclusions.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #12,628 of 18,887
It all seems a bit mad to me, as if the people who participate in the forum are being directed to use the right words or follow the right protocols before participating.

I could be overly sensitive, or especially caring, but there’s something condescending and a bit disturbing about it.

This is a forum for free spirits, please keep your micromanagement for your significant other, or maybe it’s vice versa, and then this is how you get your release from that scenario.

I’m sure there’s an explanation.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #12,630 of 18,887
Aren't you limiting yourself with the mscaler by using optical which is limited to 192. You can't get the full potential of the mscaler without USB.
You are not liming anything unless you have files that are higher than 192.
I’m in a little over my head here, but my personal observation is that my new Toslink cable sounds measurably better than my usb connection. The sound is devoid of extraneous noise, there is more detail, bass slam and separation. Now, I currently don’t have any files higher than 192 but even if I did, the absence of noise seems like a good trade off. Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back