Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #12,601 of 18,886
I already have a NUC running ROCK with Roon as my server. What network streamer do you recommend?

There’s loads of options ranging from tens of $ to thousands, all of which would be 1000 times better than a laptop from an ergonomic standpoint, and significantly better sq. Use an Ipad as a Roon controller.

Cheap: Google chromecast audio connected via optical, Rasberry Pi
Intermediate: Auralic Aries Mini, Innuos Zen Mini
Expensive: Innuos Zenith, Antipodes

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #12,602 of 18,886
There’s loads of options ranging from tens of $ to thousands, all of which would be 1000 times better than a laptop from an ergonomic standpoint, and significantly better sq. Use an Ipad as a Roon controller.

andrewd01, I’m running Roon + Tidal and Qobuz from my 2015 MacBook Pro with an AQ Diamond USB to my Hugo M Scaler, and then of course to my TT2. Don’t the filters in the HMS/TT2 combo negate the need for a stand alone music streamer when it comes to the SQ of my whole hp system, and would any improvement by adding a dedicated streamer be pretty small? I’m just asking because I don’t know. My local audio gear store has Innuos products available that I could demo, but I don’t need a CD ripper or another unit that has a DAC in it. Even though I like the plug & play ease if the Roon Nucleus+, I’ve read that adding a Nucleus+ would do nothing to improve my systems SQ.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #12,603 of 18,886
andrewd01, I’m running Roon + Tidal and Qobuz from my 2015 MacBook Pro with an AQ Diamond USB to my Hugo M Scaler, and then of course to my TT2. Don’t the filters in the HMS/TT2 combo negate the need for a stand alone music streamer when it comes to the SQ of my whole hp system, and would any improvement by adding a dedicated streamer be pretty small? I’m just asking because I don’t know. My local audio gear store has Innuos products available that I could demo. Even though I like the plug & play ease if the Roon Nucleus+, I’ve read that adding a Nucleus would do nothing to improve my systems SQ.

Yeah, a streamer will do nothing for you in terms of sound quality if you have the Mscaler. Only get one if you need it for like convenience purposes or something like that.

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #12,604 of 18,886
Yeah, a streamer will do nothing for you in terms of sound quality if you have the Mscaler. Only get one if you need it for like convenience purposes or something like that.
Thanks MediaHound for answering my questions. I’ve tried to be pretty disciplined when it comes to adding anything to my listening chain. The only thing I’m waiting on is a pair of WAVE STORM BNC’s from Nick Bacon 🥓 at WAVE High Fidelity to complete my system.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #12,605 of 18,886
A dedicated streamer couldn't improve on the output from a six-year old MacBook Pro?

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #12,606 of 18,886
andrewd01, I’m running Roon + Tidal and Qobuz from my 2015 MacBook Pro with an AQ Diamond USB to my Hugo M Scaler, and then of course to my TT2. Don’t the filters in the HMS/TT2 combo negate the need for a stand alone music streamer when it comes to the SQ of my whole hp system, and would any improvement by adding a dedicated streamer be pretty small? I’m just asking because I don’t know. My local audio gear store has Innuos products available that I could demo, but I don’t need a CD ripper or another unit that has a DAC in it. Even though I like the plug & play ease if the Roon Nucleus+, I’ve read that adding a Nucleus+ would do nothing to improve my systems SQ.
If you are able to try one in your system then that's the only way you will know for sure. I noticed an improvement in SQ going from an Aries Mini to my Aries G2 when I compared them both into the same system. I'd be surprised if you can't get an improvement from your 2015 MacBook Pro plus the Lightning DS interface that Auralic have developed works very nicely.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #12,607 of 18,886
Hello, today my TT 2 start weird behavior. Kind of error, that whenever I start PCM over 192Khz, front indicator is fast blinking, and I only hear noise. It is only BNC 1 has this problem.
This same problem was occured when power source is not sufficient, like when I use 15V 2A adapter. But after I change 15V 4A Linear Power Supply, it never happend. First I thought my power has problem, but power was ok. However, BNC 2 has no problem at all. BNC 2 accept 352 and 384 without any problem. But BNC1 is only accept 44.1 to 192 PCM, and DSD1 and DSD2 has no problem. Only over 192K PCM start this problem on only BNC 1.
Should I ask service centre to repair? Or is there any solution that I can fix it?
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #12,608 of 18,886
That's probably one of the most commonly asked questions in this thread. Please try using the thread search function, there's a wealth of info for all your TT2 questions.
I did search quite a bit before I asked the question. In searching I found different answers to that question and I was curious if there was a consensus opinion.

I’m currently using Amp mode in high gain at 0.

I’m also not sure why it matters to post a snarky response like this when all this thread does is go around and around on the same topics. Seems like asking the same questions and discussing the same topics keeps this thread alive.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #12,609 of 18,886
A dedicated streamer couldn't improve on the output from a six-year old MacBook Pro?
griff500, as you can see from this screenshot, I’m running the latest macOS Big Sur software in my (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), sorry I thought it was a 2015, MacBook Pro 💻. I’m sure the folks in Cupertino have optimized the macOS for what is how probably hundreds of millions of people listen to music these days. The age of the hardware shouldn’t make a difference, or should it?

Attachments

• 2BFA1651-B7A5-4D49-BBC4-BC455403EA11.jpeg
    2BFA1651-B7A5-4D49-BBC4-BC455403EA11.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #12,610 of 18,886
griff500, as you can see from this screenshot, I’m running the latest macOS Big Sur software in my (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), sorry I thought it was a 2015, MacBook Pro 💻. I’m sure the folks in Cupertino have optimized the macOS for what is how probably hundreds of millions of people listen to music these days. The age of the hardware shouldn’t make a difference, or should it?
I've no idea. Maybe, as USB has changed over time but I've no idea about from then to now.

I don't think the majority of people using Apple Music would be audiophiles or using it as a source for a system so I would doubt it is optimised for that in terms of hardware. My streamer has dual LPSUs, galvanic isolation and is designed for the purpose, so I would really hope it would do a better job? Maybe not... 🤣

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #12,611 of 18,886
I've no idea. Maybe, as USB has changed over time but I've no idea about from then to now.

I don't think the majority of people using Apple Music would be audiophiles or using it as a source for a system so I would doubt it is optimised for that in terms of hardware. My streamer has dual LPSUs, galvanic isolation and is designed for the purpose, so I would really hope it would do a better job? Maybe not... 🤣
griff500, I stopped using Apple Music as a source years ago. 😀

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #12,612 of 18,886
Not age, but type of input. If you had a source where you could feed optical instead of USB then you could be sure you aren’t feeding and unwanted noise/RFI. I use a relatively inexpensive Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry Digi+ “hat” and HiFiBerry OS to feed optical to mScaler.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #12,613 of 18,886
In connecting TT2 via XLR to a headphone amp, is there an ideal setting for Amp mode vs DAC mode and if in amp mode what volume should TT2 be set at and low or high gain?
-3 is 2.5v which is the setting used by amp mode. I believe Rob has said the volume indicators are matched, so -3L = -3H = dac mode. So, if you need to supply a lower voltage for compatibility, dial it back a bit, to -5 or -6 and see how it sounds.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-573#post-15482999

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #12,614 of 18,886
I have tried turning on the TT2 with USB already connected and without then connecting the USB once it’s fully powered up and in both cases on first play the frequency output from the music software is not what the TT2 expects so it sounds awful and I have to stop the music software and hit play again which changes the frequency on the TT2 and it works normally. Odd maybe it’s an issue with my Mac or the software (audirvana)?

Have you tried a different USB cable? Sorry if I missed you tried that.

You can add Synology NAS to the intermediate group. I'd give it a leg up since it can do a lot more than just stream music! I don't have "golden ears" so to me system sounds excellent direct to TT2 and my A&K over Wi-Fi sounds fine.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #12,615 of 18,886
Not age, but type of input. If you had a source where you could feed optical instead of USB then you could be sure you aren’t feeding and unwanted noise/RFI. I use a relatively inexpensive Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry Digi+ “hat” and HiFiBerry OS to feed optical to mScaler.
jarnopp, from what I’ve read using a good USB like my AQ Diamond cable will give you the best sound quality over that of an optical connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back