Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #12,586 of 18,894
Quick question. What's your standard protocol for switching headphones when using the on-board headphone 1/4 output? With the unit on, I usually just stop the music, unplug the headphones and plug-in new ones, then wait a few seconds while the TT2 switches modes. I haven't owned my TT2 very long and recently when swapping headphones I got awful sound and had to power-cycle the unit.

If you have TT2 in same gain setting for headphones and for rear sockets, you get no delay.

Like high gain - headphones
High gain - rear sockets.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #12,587 of 18,894
I have a question if this has ever happened to your Hugo TT2. I run mine from Roon ROCK server to my MBP to the TT2 via USB. When I set up at my listening station, I turn on the TT2 and if I plug the USB into the MacBook while the TT2 is booting up (before it finishes the complete bootup sequence). It outputs a horrible static sound when I press play. If I unplug and replug the USB the problem instantly corrects itself. It happened twice when it was brand new and then hasn't happened for 2 weeks because I decided to always plug in after the boot up sequence. Today, I plugged it in after I heard the relay click and had the horrible static. I unplugged and immediately replugged the USB and I was good to go. Hopefully I am not alone. Just want to make sure my unit doesn't have some issue that will worsen over time. Thanks!
I’m a recent owner and having a similar issue. I noticed this happened when turning the unit on and the sample rate the TT2 was expecting (based on the light color) didn’t match the sample rate played by the software. Stopping and restarting the track changed the sample rate on the tt2 and it played normally after. It seems a bit finicky with turn on procedure and when swapping headphones with the unit on.

It's perfectly normal in a sense.

Ideally you should have your source connected before you boot TT2. You can add a source once TT2 is booted up. However bear in mind most hifi kit should be turned off before connecting anything.

Adding a USB source while TT2 boots, will cause the issue you describe. It's because the TT2 would not be able to make a USB handshake correctly. It needs USB already in place. Or added after boot up. Adding USB while booting means TT2 sees two USB states while starting.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #12,589 of 18,894
Why would you be plugging and unplugging things from your electronics while they are turned on? That is just asking for trouble.

I understand that it is not ideal, but I work from my home office and listen to my headphones at a dedicated listening area downstairs. It is just not practical for me to shut my laptop down and the TT2 down every time I move to the other location, which can be 10-20 times per day. However, if it will have a deleterious impact on my equipment over time, I can change my approach.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #12,590 of 18,894
I understand that it is not ideal, but I work from my home office and listen to my headphones at a dedicated listening area downstairs. It is just not practical for me to shut my laptop down and the TT2 down every time I move to the other location, which can be 10-20 times per day. However, if it will have a deleterious impact on my equipment over time, I can change my approach.

This is why I use a NAS, Music access from anywhere. TT2 isn't ever unplugged.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #12,591 of 18,894

That does not really sound like a solution that is acceptable in the long term. Frankly I would last about 1 day of going up and down stairs 20 times. At least you will stay fit.

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #12,592 of 18,894
Get yourself an intel nuc and network streamer then no need to keep unplugging laptop and TT2

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #12,594 of 18,894
I already have a NUC running ROCK with Roon as my server. What network streamer do you recommend?
Something like a Sotm sms 200 or 200 ultra is great for roon.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #12,595 of 18,894
It's perfectly normal in a sense.

Ideally you should have your source connected before you boot TT2. You can add a source once TT2 is booted up. However bear in mind most hifi kit should be turned off before connecting anything.

Adding a USB source while TT2 boots, will cause the issue you describe. It's because the TT2 would not be able to make a USB handshake correctly. It needs USB already in place. Or added after boot up. Adding USB while booting means TT2 sees two USB states while starting.
I have tried turning on the TT2 with USB already connected and without then connecting the USB once it’s fully powered up and in both cases on first play the frequency output from the music software is not what the TT2 expects so it sounds awful and I have to stop the music software and hit play again which changes the frequency on the TT2 and it works normally. Odd maybe it’s an issue with my Mac or the software (audirvana)?

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #12,599 of 18,894
In connecting TT2 via XLR to a headphone amp, is there an ideal setting for Amp mode vs DAC mode and if in amp mode what volume should TT2 be set at and low or high gain?

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #12,600 of 18,894
In connecting TT2 via XLR to a headphone amp, is there an ideal setting for Amp mode vs DAC mode and if in amp mode what volume should TT2 be set at and low or high gain?
That's probably one of the most commonly asked questions in this thread. Please try using the thread search function, there's a wealth of info for all your TT2 questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back