Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #12,542 of 18,895
I would love to give you a full update on the M Scaler, but my new HMS has been sitting at the FedEx hub in Memphis for six days with no sign of any movement and no firm delivery date in sight. It was originally supposed to arrive a week ago. I understand there is severe weather across much of the US, but that doesn't help to temper my massive disappointment each morning when I open the app and see that it is still sitting on a shelf somewhere in Tennessee. It is like a permanent groundhog day where every night is Christmas Eve, but Christmas morning never comes! At least I still have my wonderful new TT2 to get me through this...haha

The sound of the Hugo TT2 is so addictive on its own (listening directly out of the internal amp) and I am eager to hear what new magic the M Scaler is able to unlock.

Thanks to the people on this thread who suggested I ditch my external amplifier for a week and just tune my ear to the transparency of the TT2. I went back to my Darkvoice 336 last night paired with my Gungnir Multibit and many of the small textural cues that I had grown accustomed to with the TT2 just disappeared. Chord builds a pretty amazing product for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #12,543 of 18,895
It may also represent the conclusions at one extreme. I think (correct me if I am wrong) from reading many, many impressions in this thread, and from my own experience, that the M Scaler brings about subtle improvements. This review suggests that they are of a "can't live without" level. Not questioning the truthfulness of his impressions, just saying one shouldn't buy outright expecting this. One might be disappointed.
What you’ve said is a reasonable assessment to provide to someone with little or no experience with these devices. I posted the link to the @austinpop review in response to a question from a new member with eight posts because I didn’t want to regurgitate information that was beautifully summarized in that review. I was also confident he (or she) probably hadn’t read all 830+ pages of comments and information in the thread (I haven’t either BTW). I could have posted my own perspective but I wouldn’t have said it as well or been as thorough. I will say my initial impression for the first hour or so was “Thats’ it??? I just spent $$$ and that’s it?”. Now, I really can’t live without it!

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #12,544 of 18,895
What do you feel the difference in resolution was between the 2. Just how wide would you say the gap is
That's a harder question to answer. We are really getting down to minutiae. I would venture a guess of about 1-2% reduction in transparency going from SE to XLR. I would say the SE has clearer upper mids and lower treble and feels overall brighter. Through the SE, the transients in this range appear to sound sharper and more "anti-aliased," to use a graphical term.

I prefer the SE output when using the Verite Closed. They're warmer headphones with added cup resonance and very slightly recessed vocals, so they benefit from the synergy with the TT2 SE presentation. Listening to the VC via dual XLR, bass is more plentiful but a bit more bloomy, stage is wider and the overall warm headphone signature is emphasized.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #12,545 of 18,895
Quick question. What's your standard protocol for switching headphones when using the on-board headphone 1/4 output? With the unit on, I usually just stop the music, unplug the headphones and plug-in new ones, then wait a few seconds while the TT2 switches modes. I haven't owned my TT2 very long and recently when swapping headphones I got awful sound and had to power-cycle the unit.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #12,546 of 18,895
Thanks to the people on this thread who suggested I ditch my external amplifier for a week and just tune my ear to the transparency of the TT2. I went back to my Darkvoice 336 last night paired with my Gungnir Multibit and many of the small textural cues that I had grown accustomed to with the TT2 just disappeared. Chord builds a pretty amazing product for sure.
I'm also coming from a Gumby which I really enjoyed, very natural sounds with a wide stage but I felt it smoothed over the sound somewhat to make it pleasing - and it was. The TT2 brought back some of the speed and clarity I was missing from a previous ESS sabre dac but is way way better than any DS dacs I have heard/owned. I might add another R2R dac at some point but the TT2 is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #12,547 of 18,895
I would love to give you a full update on the M Scaler, but my new HMS has been sitting at the FedEx hub in Memphis for six days with no sign of any movement and no firm delivery date in sight. It was originally supposed to arrive a week ago. I understand there is severe weather across much of the US, but that doesn't help to temper my massive disappointment each morning when I open the app and see that it is still sitting on a shelf somewhere in Tennessee. It is like a permanent groundhog day where every night is Christmas Eve, but Christmas morning never comes! At least I still have my wonderful new TT2 to get me through this...haha

The sound of the Hugo TT2 is so addictive on its own (listening directly out of the internal amp) and I am eager to hear what new magic the M Scaler is able to unlock.

Your waiting for mscaler while owning TT2.
I'm waiting for TT2 while owning mscaler.
:smile::smile::smile:

Interesting about ditching your external amp and what you've noticed

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #12,548 of 18,895
Quick question. What's your standard protocol for switching headphones when using the on-board headphone 1/4 output? With the unit on, I usually just stop the music, unplug the headphones and plug-in new ones, then wait a few seconds while the TT2 switches modes. I haven't owned my TT2 very long and recently when swapping headphones I got awful sound and had to power-cycle the unit.
I actually plug the second set of headphones in first and then unplug the first set. That avoids the switching delay.

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #12,549 of 18,895
I'm also coming from a Gumby which I really enjoyed, very natural sounds with a wide stage but I felt it smoothed over the sound somewhat to make it pleasing - and it was. The TT2 brought back some of the speed and clarity I was missing from a previous ESS sabre dac but is way way better than any DS dacs I have heard/owned. I might add another R2R dac at some point but the TT2 is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Absolutely...I still have my Gumby...it is a great R2R that has a smooth and musical sound with my other headphone rig, running through the Violectric V281. I found the Qutest has a sound that is sort of in between the TT2 and the Gumby. I enjoy that little DAC as well. I am kind of a DAC junkie and tend to think it makes a much bigger impact on the final sound signature than many people believe. I am considering adding a Denafrips Ares II after reading some really compelling reviews. It is pretty much the R2R that has a lot of people talking. Worth a shot for $750 USD.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #12,550 of 18,895
You could plug a 3,5mm adapter into the free 1/4” slot and it would keep it forced into headphone mode. It’s also a better 3.5mm inout than the badly designed one.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #12,552 of 18,895
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #12,555 of 18,895

Users who are viewing this thread

Back