Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #9,496 of 18,895
That didn't just happen automatically, he stated later:

Which likely fried his TT2.

Ah I see, my ipad is slow as schiit and at times scrolling down a page is a nightmare, also when I push the back button to delete something, it has a mind of its own and will continue to delete until I start hitting the keypad to try and stop it.

Total bummer that he fried it, I wonder how chord will handle this ?

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #9,497 of 18,895
When you start to have a look at some of the hi end manufacturers it's not uncommon to see mentioned products are pre conditioned before being sent out Ive seen soak tests and burn ins with pink noise for 40 to 100hrs mentioned a few times while window shopping on their website's.
Ah I see, my ipad is slow as schiit and at times scrolling down a page is a nightmare, also when I push the back button to delete something, it has a mind of its own and will continue to delete until I start hitting the keypad to try and stop it.

Total bummer that he fried it, I wonder how chord will handle this ?
I had countless issues with Apple gear as well exactly as you describe.

Any of you guys will try the 2go+2yu for the tt2?
Lots of 2s....

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #9,498 of 18,895
I had countless issues with Apple gear as well exactly as you describe.

Any of you guys will try the 2go+2yu for the tt2?
Lots of 2s....

To be fair, a lot of the problems that I encounter with my ipad, they are all related to this website, the auto delete thing only happens on headfi.

I just sold my Hugo 2 not that long ago, and I already have a mojo and poly and once bitten twice......

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #9,499 of 18,895
To be fair, a lot of the problems that I encounter with my ipad, they are all related to this website, the auto delete thing only happens on headfi.

I just sold my Hugo 2 not that long ago, and I already have a mojo and poly and once bitten twice......
OH no... The disaster the poly was and is, along with the catastrophic 2go...

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #9,500 of 18,895
Many power supply designers say that some capacitors do improve with use, perhaps up to 300 hrs use. And these are signed up , qualified electronics engineers and so their view is not to be lightly dismissed.

I'd love to know who the 'many' are. Capacitors are electrolyte filled capsules designed to hold a charge until released by another device-- like a transistor. Capacitors have a lifespan and degrade from the moment they begin service, because the electrolyte over time cannot hold the same charge as it did when new. This degradation is very very slow, think 15 year range, and sometimes the case that holds the electrolyte degrades first, in a lovely puddle beneath the component. Which is why I've recapped 2 Macintosh computers and a Technics tape deck. But maybe I'm not qualified.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #9,501 of 18,895
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #9,502 of 18,895
I'd love to know who the 'many' are. Capacitors are electrolyte filled capsules designed to hold a charge until released by another device-- like a transistor. Capacitors have a lifespan and degrade from the moment they begin service, because the electrolyte over time cannot hold the same charge as it did when new. This degradation is very very slow, think 15 year range, and sometimes the case that holds the electrolyte degrades first, in a lovely puddle beneath the component. Which is why I've recapped 2 Macintosh computers and a Technics tape deck. But maybe I'm not qualified.

I remember the time when the following happened;

Lol look ma, no hands

It also gives a new meaning to, "I'll pop a cap in yo ass" will that cap be 9mm or Nichicon.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #9,503 of 18,895
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #9,504 of 18,895
That didn't just happen automatically, he stated later:

Which likely fried his TT2.
How can this be? I was using it for several hours before it failed. Like I said it was a 4pin XLR to 1/4 headphone jack adapter. It was NOT plugged in to the XLR outputs on the back. It displayed the error code DC L. The unit didn't feel hot, even after it failed. I tested everything (USB cable, headphone cable with adapter) on my previous rig and all worked fine.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #9,505 of 18,895

It's not really very fair to compare modern electrolytic capacitors to those of yester year. There are also many different capacitor types that do not use electrolyte and will probably never leak.

As a example I used a bunch of Russian surplus teflons in the riaa stage of my tube phono amplifier I purchased 20 so I could hand and matched them and cherry pick the closest values. All were within 1% some 0.1% of there stated value and after perhaps 30 or 40 years in storage. The capacitors which I removed to install them were new and measured up 10% off their value and at the limit of the +-10% rating so potentially a 20% variation between left and right channels for something that should actually be very accurate.

Capacitors are definitely a component where there are large variations on construction type and quality which will effect lifespans and tolerances.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #9,507 of 18,895
How can this be? I was using it for several hours before it failed. Like I said it was a 4pin XLR to 1/4 headphone jack adapter. It was NOT plugged in to the XLR outputs on the back. It displayed the error code DC L. The unit didn't feel hot, even after it failed. I tested everything (USB cable, headphone cable with adapter) on my previous rig and all worked fine.

I doubt it was the headphone input. Here’s a list of codes, and sounds like it’s a fault with the digital input:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-596#post-15593695

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #9,508 of 18,895
It's not really very fair to compare modern electrolytic capacitors to those of yester year. There are also many different capacitor types that do not use electrolyte and will probably never leak.

As a example I used a bunch of Russian surplus teflons in the riaa stage of my tube phono amplifier I purchased 20 so I could hand and matched them and cherry pick the closest values. All were within 1% some 0.1% of there stated value and after perhaps 30 or 40 years in storage. The capacitors which I removed to install them were new and measured up 10% off their value and at the limit of the +-10% rating so potentially a 20% variation between left and right channels for something that should actually be very accurate.

Capacitors are definitely a component where there are large variations on construction type and quality which will effect lifespans and tolerances.

Fair enough-- none of which would benefit from any kind of burn in-- which is my original point.

Just as an aside-- and I didn't learn this until last week-- my next door neighbor is Kurt Johanson. His company is Johanson Dialectrics, and he's the 3rd generation owner. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #9,509 of 18,895
My beloved TT2 is dead. Kaput. Finito. Muerto.
Some say spontaneous human combustion (SHC) is a thing. Well, my unit simply burnt out and I was unfortunate enough to see the tiny cloud of smoke dissipating under the top glass window.
Chord is no stranger to me. I have walked through the valley of Chord's lineup – from the tiny Mojo, climbing gradually to the Hugo 1 and 2 before getting myself a TT2 and I've been nothing but in love since day one. They products are beautiful, well thought out and solid build. Oh, and they sound like nothing else to my ears.
Back to my deceased unit… I bought my Chord Hugo TT2 last summer and I have enjoyed it since then. It's an amazing piece of engineering, providing lots of details with plenty of headroom to my Focal Utopia... until six days ago.
It happened so fast and it was so unexpected that I even turned it off before it even ceased playing. The scent of smoked electronics is still present in my closet, where it sits still.

I just won't try anything stupid at this point. Even though their factory is closed I have reached out to DHL and I'm shipping it before a possible lockdown happens. And that's the worst part – with all uncertainties in the world right now, no one can predict when I'll have my precious back. Luckily my friends offered me a Naim V1, a Topping DX7 and a few other amps but we all know how spoiled we can get from Chord Electronics.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Same thing happened to my 2hr old unit. Sound started to change -became lean sounding, then the unit starting clicking between inputs, then music stopped and saw a puff of smoke through the porthole. The unit restarts but shows a DC L error. Only getting pops and static via the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back