Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #9,481 of 18,887
I know *the Watts* doesn't believe much in burn in.
But how many hrs have you guys noticed some effect?

I didn’t notice any burn in, but I do think the TT2 hits a new gear after 10-15 minutes of use. Coincidentally, that could also be the time needed for me to finish an adult beverage of choice.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #9,482 of 18,887
No and don't know who he is.
Mr Watts would say burn in is only brain burn in, and cables don't sound any different.
And then would say that each solder is audiable
Which is fine.
But I just want to hear others views on burn in with their tt2 if they have experienced any.
I like your new hair Paul.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #9,484 of 18,887
Its Karen! And I want to speak with a supervisor!
Well, I think the new hair really suits you sir. I think The Supervisor is currently goggling up, as per guidelines.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #9,485 of 18,887
Well, I think the new hair really suits you sir. I think The Supervisor is currently goggling up, as per guidelines.
[/QUOTE
Well masks are guidelines nowadays.

I heard about hq player it somewhat simulates the mscaler right?
I can't afford the mscaler, but I'd like to try this hq player out.
Anyone here had decent success with it?

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #9,486 of 18,887
Well masks are guidelines nowadays.

I heard about hq player it somewhat simulates the mscaler right?
I can't afford the mscaler, but I'd like to try this hq player out.
Anyone here had decent success with it?
It must take a while to fix your hair, fair play, not much else to do these days.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #9,488 of 18,887
OK I guess you'll drag it on forever, idk who Paul is or care. I do however wonder about burn in

I can’t answer for the TT2 and I’ve experienced burn-in on most equipment and cables, but of the three Chord DACs I’ve had they all exhibited very little burn-in change. There might have been subtle change after a week of use, but they are pretty much good out of the box. In regards to HQPlayer there is a bit of discussion about it on the Hugo M Scaler thread here right now, including comparisons with M Scaler.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #9,489 of 18,887
I can’t answer for the TT2 and I’ve experienced burn-in on most equipment and cables, but of the three Chord DACs I’ve had they all exhibited very little burn-in change. There might have been subtle change after a week of use, but they are pretty much good out of the box. In regards to HQPlayer there is a bit of discussion about it on the Hugo M Scaler thread here right now, including comparisons with M Scaler.
Thanks so much,

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #9,490 of 18,887
OK I guess you'll drag it on forever, idk who Paul is or care. I do however wonder about burn in

There's nothing to burn in on a solid state component.

You burn in headphones with pink noise to loosen the moving mechanism (depending on the type of headphone), which can come tight from the factory. That burn in brings the headphone into peak performance, as designed by the manufacturer. You are simply speeding the process of break-in. Perfectly fine to play your way into that peak performance, you just need a little patience.

The other component that can benefit from some burn in is a new tube. Tubes, in many cases, sound better as they age, and they sound better warm than cold in most cases. But tubes also have a life span, so you don't want to over-burn them. They need to cool as much as they need to warm. So they are trickier, and it's best to just play music through them to get them to their peak if you don't know what you're doing.

Transistors, IC chips, capacitors, diodes-- none of these components get better with age. If anything, they degrade and lose performance. So burn in is not needed.

Hope that helps.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #9,491 of 18,887
There's nothing to burn in on a solid state component.

You burn in headphones with pink noise to loosen the moving mechanism (depending on the type of headphone), which can come tight from the factory. That burn in brings the headphone into peak performance, as designed by the manufacturer. You are simply speeding the process of break-in. Perfectly fine to play your way into that peak performance, you just need a little patience.

The other component that can benefit from some burn in is a new tube. Tubes, in many cases, sound better as they age, and they sound better warm than cold in most cases. But tubes also have a life span, so you don't want to over-burn them. They need to cool as much as they need to warm. So they are trickier, and it's best to just play music through them to get them to their peak if you don't know what you're doing.

Transistors, IC chips, capacitors, diodes-- none of these components get better with age. If anything, they degrade and lose performance. So burn in is not needed.

Hope that helps.
I appreciate the detailed response, I understand it better now

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #9,492 of 18,887

Many power supply designers say that some capacitors do improve with use, perhaps up to 300 hrs use. And these are signed up , qualified electronics engineers and so their view is not to be lightly dismissed.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #9,493 of 18,887
When you start to have a look at some of the hi end manufacturers it's not uncommon to see mentioned products are pre conditioned before being sent out Ive seen soak tests and burn ins with pink noise for 40 to 100hrs mentioned a few times while window shopping on their website's.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9,494 of 18,887
I just got my new TT2 yesterday and within an hour it failed. I noticed it starting to sounding lean, then all of a sudden it began clicking and switching between inputs on it's own and I believe I saw a wiff of smoke inside the unit through the porthole. It does turns on but I only get static and buzz and it shows a 'DC L' error. Anyone have their TT2 fail in this way? I'm sure my dealer will take care of it but it will take a couple of weeks to get a replacement. Really bummed as I've wanted one for a long time and I was very impressed by it's sound from the little time I had with it. :weary:

Damn, sorry to hear that dude, it's a bummer that it's happened so quickly. It could be related to your mains ?

Mine is also clicking for no reason, I'm not sure if it's related to heat as mine sits on top of my mscaler.

I'm sure I will find out what the cause is sooner or later.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #9,495 of 18,887
Damn, sorry to hear that dude, it's a bummer that it's happened so quickly. It could be related to your mains ?

That didn't just happen automatically, he stated later:

I was using ALO reference 16 XLR terminated cable with an ALO XLR to 1/4" adapter.

Which likely fried his TT2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back