Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #8,417 of 18,886
FYI, I have DIY voxativs and recently adjusted my TT2 to low gain mode (from high gain). Big difference in SQ. I play music as loudly but I notice it's more transparent.
That's what i use, tt2 in low gain mode to ahb2. I thought with headphones difference in low or high gain mode is nit much evident but with speakers it is clear that low gain is a bit smoother.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #8,419 of 18,886
FYI, I have DIY voxativs and recently adjusted my TT2 to low gain mode (from high gain). Big difference in SQ. I play music as loudly but I notice it's more transparent.
Thanks. I’ve had my TT2 since it was released but have never tried speakers. I want to maintain TT2’s level of transparency, however I assumed I’d need to run from the xlr output to maximize power. The 705 s2’s sensitivity is rated at 88db. What would be the best way to hook up the speakers (which adapter should I choose etc?).

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #8,421 of 18,886
Thanks. I’ve had my TT2 since it was released but have never tried speakers. I want to maintain TT2’s level of transparency, however I assumed I’d need to run from the xlr output to maximize power. The 705 s2’s sensitivity is rated at 88db. What would be the best way to hook up the speakers (which adapter should I choose etc?).
I've never touched the balanced XLR outputs. I know the single ended RCA's are just a direct lead from Rob's pulse array output (well via a hi/low gain relay). My understanding is balanced just takes this to an amplifier stage to create a negative going signal. So you have ~twice the power but with the distortion from the balanced output amp.
In the interest of transparency, I just want to be right on the outputs of the pulse array. I had Analysis-Plus (USA) build me a RCA->dual-banana version of their Silver-Oval-2 speaker wire. No upcharge.

BTW - I am unclear what difference (if any) is had by using interconnect cable topology vs speaker wire topology. I'm sure at the low-ish volts/amps of the TT2 output, it won't matter ...so go with what is less $.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #8,422 of 18,886
I've never touched the balanced XLR outputs. I know the single ended RCA's are just a direct lead from Rob's pulse array output (well via a hi/low gain relay). My understanding is balanced just takes this to an amplifier stage to create a negative going signal. So you have ~twice the power but with the distortion from the balanced output amp.
In the interest of transparency, I just want to be right on the outputs of the pulse array. I had Analysis-Plus (USA) build me a RCA->dual-banana version of their Silver-Oval-2 speaker wire. No upcharge.

BTW - I am unclear what difference (if any) is had by using interconnect cable topology vs speaker wire topology. I'm sure at the low-ish volts/amps of the TT2 output, it won't matter ...so go with what is less $.

Here’s Rob’s post on the matter: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-120#post-14517921

Rob has also stated he keeps it in high gain. Not sure if the added resistor reduces any transparency? But always go for what sounds best to you.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #8,423 of 18,886

Tt2 generates negative by inverting the digital signal so both postive and negative are identical and use ground to function. that's why shorting cold and ground pin in XLR out can damage the negative out. But that also means tt2 does not use some extra electronics for generating the negative part. The advantage is that XLR out does not lose any transparency and driving directly through XLR can give that extra juice for speakers without losing any transparency.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #8,424 of 18,886
Tt2 generates negative by inverting the digital signal so both postive and negative are identical and use ground to function. that's why shorting cold and ground pin in XLR out can damage the negative out. But that also means tt2 does not use some extra electronics for generating the negative part. The advantage is that XLR out does not lose any transparency and driving directly through XLR can give that extra juice for speakers without losing any transparency.

This is great ...time for me to try XLR!. So what is the wiring diagram,then?

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #8,426 of 18,886
Here’s Rob’s post on the matter: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-120#post-14517921

Rob has also stated he keeps it in high gain. Not sure if the added resistor reduces any transparency? But always go for what sounds best to you.
Thanks for quoting Rob's post on the matter. I was sure he said something like high gain is 'default' on TT2 and low gain is just an extra resistor to get a hiss free background for IEM fans. :)
Still it seems I am in a minority preferring the TT2 in high gain for my Empyrean. The Empyrean is a low impedance headphone, but still sounds much more dynamic and clear in high gain mode.
We shouldn't let numbers and traditions determine how we use our gear. Just go with what sounds the best to you.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #8,427 of 18,886
For amps having only XLR in ( like ahb2) there are neutrik rca to XLR adaptors having cold and ground shorted inside. But luckily for XLR output side ( for tt2 ) i don't think such adaptors are there. So only thing you have to be careful while making diy adaptors to not short cold and negative.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #8,428 of 18,886
Don't touch the ground pin in XLR plug at all. Connect hot pin to positive of speaker and cold to negative of speakers.

I thought Rob’s advice was to start with using pin 1 (ground) and pin 2 (hot) and see if that produced enough volume. If it does then stick with that because it is more or less impossible to over drive the TT2 with those connections into speakers. If it doesn’t then progress to using pins 2 and 3 but proceed with caution because with that configuration it is possible to overheat the TT2 by playing too loud or too long at high levels (which was proved in spectacular style by an ex member of the forum). What is ‘loud’ is a judgement and that is why there needs to be some caution or common sense when using pins 2 and 3.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #8,429 of 18,886
I thought Rob’s advice was to start with using pin 1 (ground) and pin 2 (hot) and see if that produced enough volume. If it does then stick with that because it is more or less impossible to over drive the TT2 with those connections into speakers. If it doesn’t then progress to using pins 2 and 3 but proceed with caution because with that configuration it is possible to overheat the TT2 by playing too loud or too long at high levels (which was proved in spectacular style by an ex member of the forum). What is ‘loud’ is a judgement and that is why there needs to be some caution or common sense when using pins 2 and 3.
Using ground and hot if XLR is akin to using rca out. Using negative and positive will no doubt give more power but pushing it to extreme may cause overheating but there is a mechanism to prevent overheating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back