Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 12, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #7,337 of 18,895
Thanks, and yes I did. It's driver is intended for Windows since OSX does not require one. It shows as Chord 1.5 in the selection of ASIO . It's funny since I've used Audirvana for many years, with OSX and then when they created Audirvana + for Windows also. I never had any problems. I'll keep at it. For now I'll use my old Macbook Pro. It works perfectly on that. I do know that there have been several bugs with Audirvana for Windows. It may be some type of compatibility.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #7,338 of 18,895
Last Saturday made my own xls to banana cables:
IMG_2429.jpeg IMG_2430.jpeg
My speakers sensitivity is rated at 88 db, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
It took a few days to adjust to sound. After few days I lost any desire to reconnect TT2 and speakers to my receiver that I use as a two channel amp, after another two decided to try high gain in TT2.
I'm speechless, the sound is magnificent.
One thing puzzles me, with my receiver, if I pushed it really hard I was afraid for my speakers but never heard any distortions, with TT2 over +7 distortion becomes very apparent. Of course +7 is very loud and I never need to go that high in my room. so it is fine.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #7,339 of 18,895

It took a few days to adjust to sound. After few days I lost any desire to reconnect TT2 and speakers to my receiver that I use as a two channel amp, after another two decided to try high gain in TT2.
One thing puzzles me, with my receiver, if I pushed it really hard I was afraid for my speakers but never heard any distortions, with TT2 over +7 distortion becomes very apparent. Of course +7 is very loud and I never need to go that high in my room. so it is fine.

Nice! Did you wire pins 1 and 3 or 2 and 3? You could have wired all three pins and then you would have a choice of SE or balanced.

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #7,341 of 18,895

Well done with the leads. The reason you probably didn’t get distortion with your receiver despite being louder is that it has more power. When you try to run an amp louder than the power that it has then it starts to clip and that is why you hear distortion at a lower volume. Beware of even doing this for short periods because it is the classic way of damaging speaker drivers. It overheats the coil in the speaker so that it expands and for ever after you get a grating noise or soon after that it overheats and blows the coil. It takes hardly any time to damage a speaker like this.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #7,342 of 18,895
Is it the Nuc 8 i7 8559U BEH model that you have ?

Thats what I have and when I was looking for a LPS for it, the ones that I saw weren't suitable for Nuc 8's due to them having a higher 28 watt tdp and nuc 7's being 25w.

This is the link

https://www.sbooster.com/intel-nucs-roon-servers/power-supply

I'm interested in a linear psu for my nuc, let me know how it goes once it arrives, as I might get one if your nuc survives. Cheers.
Yes same nuc

this LPS is 19 volts and designed for nuc.

did fanless case transfer today and changed a bunch of bios functions to really get this optimized.

TT2 OWNERS you have ZERO clue how good mTT2 can sound with dedicated Roon nuc as core and endpoint as SOTM Neo...sweet mother of god. It’s like a completely different rig.

Susvara is off the charts and pulled so far in front of lcd 4 not even funny... bass response has jumped to equal LCD4 ... anyone that speaks of susvara being ethereal has never heard via a proper setup.

Literally I cried when i listened to this chain 1st time the music was that moving.

as a “non audiophile” all the language and bull I have heard over months of reading boards etc... airyness, details around notes etc... well to some extent could hear quantum jumps here and there like when i 1st heard lcd4z via mTT2.... well going to current chain with susy is an even greater order of magnitude.

And as I said In poly forum even that took a significant bump in quality due to the dedicated Roon nuc...obviously no sotm bump... which is extreme. I’d say Roon nuc core + sotm endpoint is no question a bigger jump in fidelity than mscaler alone.... in other words these 2 pieces of chain will alone cause such a dramatic shift in tt2 that I would choose over mscaler.... it is literally a smack in the face difference. Not a ..... hmmmm. Is there a difference difference.

now going to dump my actives and move speaker chain to higher quality to match what I am getting from susy

also I would say mTT2 with above chain destroys Dave.... would like to try Dave on this chain but will need separate amp... now that I am going speaker upgrade will buy great speaker amp and also drove susy from them... will borrow Dave and plug in to test lift.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #7,343 of 18,895
I also had an incredible listening session last night. Using jplay femto software just on my pc with usb out to mtt2.

Afx selected ambient album, so many new things I heard, and depth and brilliance.

I wanted to see if using usb allowed me to decrease latency, using jplay control panel and it did, I’m not sure whether it’s that, that’s responsible, but for £125 jplay femto is very good software, it’s like getting a hardware upgrade, but cheap.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #7,344 of 18,895
I also had an incredible listening session last night. Using jplay femto software just on my pc with usb out to mtt2.

Afx selected ambient album, so many new things I heard, and depth and brilliance.

I wanted to see if sub allowed me to decrease latency using jplay control panel and it did, I’m not sure whether it’s that, that’s responsible, but for £125 jplay femto is very good software, it’s like getting a hardware upgrade, but cheap.
Will look into jplay. However I guarantee you aint heard anything like the sotm neo(I have a special double clocked version) + Roon nuc... you are unfortunately still in the muddy swap of a generalist PC... there is now zero doubt ZERO about the power of this separate dedicated audio computer chain.

would be interesting to compare what I am using here to the dual antipodes kit.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #7,345 of 18,895
Yes same nuc

this LPS is 19 volts and designed for nuc.

did fanless case transfer today and changed a bunch of bios functions to really get this optimized.

TT2 OWNERS you have ZERO clue how good mTT2 can sound with dedicated Roon nuc as core and endpoint as SOTM Neo...sweet mother of god. It’s like a completely different rig.

Susvara is off the charts and pulled so far in front of lcd 4 not even funny... bass response has jumped to equal LCD4 ... anyone that speaks of susvara being ethereal has never heard via a proper setup.

Literally I cried when i listened to this chain 1st time the music was that moving.

as a “non audiophile” all the language and bull**** I have heard over months of reading boards etc... airyness, details around notes etc... well to some extent could hear quantum jumps here and there like when i 1st heard lcd4z via mTT2.... well going to current chain with susy is an even greater order of magnitude.

And as I said In poly forum even that took a significant bump in quality due to the dedicated Roon nuc...obviously no sotm bump... which is extreme. I’d say Roon nuc core + sotm endpoint is no question a bigger jump in fidelity than mscaler alone.... in other words these 2 pieces of chain will alone cause such a dramatic shift in tt2 that I would choose over mscaler.... it is literally a smack in the face difference. Not a ..... hmmmm. Is there a difference difference.

now going to dump my actives and move speaker chain to higher quality to match what I am getting from susy

also I would say mTT2 with above chain destroys Dave.... would like to try Dave on this chain but will need separate amp... now that I am going speaker upgrade will buy great speaker amp and also drove susy from them... will borrow Dave and plug in to test lift.

I emailed Alexsander about getting one of those LPS, I had a couple of questions that needed answered first, but I'm gunna get one, as it does support the higher tdp of 28 watts in the high end gen 8 nucs.

My Nuc runs windows 10 64 at the moment, as it runs roon server and plex for my huge library of movies etc, but I have a spare 1 terabyte m.2 thunderbolt ssd and a spare corsair 256gig voyager gtx usb ssd.

The corsair voyager gtx looks like a normal flash drive, but it is an ssd inside instead of a normal flash drive, and I'm gunna stick roon rock on one of them, probably the voyager, as 256gig is large enough for an OS that takes 3 seconds to install aka roon rock. If I used the m.2 thunderbolt drive I would be wasting over 900 gigabytes of space.

When you installed roon rock, did you have to manually copy ffmpeg over, or was it included in the latest roon rock release ? Last time I tried to install it, I had to manually copy stuff over but at the time I had network issue's caused by my slowly dieing asus rt ac3200 router.

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #7,346 of 18,895
I emailed Alexsander about getting one of those LPS, I had a couple of questions that needed answered first, but I'm gunna get one, as it does support the higher tdp of 28 watts in the high end gen 8 nucs.

My Nuc runs windows 10 64 at the moment, as it runs roon server and plex for my huge library of movies etc, but I have a spare 1 terabyte m.2 thunderbolt ssd and a spare corsair 256gig voyager gtx usb ssd.

The corsair voyager gtx looks like a normal flash drive, but it is an ssd inside instead of a normal flash drive, and I'm gunna stick roon rock on one of them, probably the voyager, as 256gig is large enough for an OS that takes 3 seconds to install aka roon rock. If I used the m.2 thunderbolt drive I would be wasting over 900 gigabytes of space.

When you installed roon rock, did you have to manually copy ffmpeg over, or was it included in the latest roon rock release ? Last time I tried to install it, I had to manually copy stuff over but at the time I had network issue's caused by my slowly dieing asus rt ac3200 router.

I forgot to say, I was looking at your chain, Nuc with roon rock and mtt2, where does sotm neo fit in ?

I thought the SOTM was a network streamer, isn't thats what the Nuc with roon is for ? or am I missing something ? I'm easily confused so I probably am missing something.

I would of thought Nuc with roon rock as your core and the mscaler feeding your tt2 as your endpoint.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #7,347 of 18,895

I wanted to see if using usb allowed me to decrease latency, using jplay control panel and it did, I’m not sure whether it’s that, that’s responsible, but for £125 jplay femto is very good software, it’s like getting a hardware upgrade, but cheap.

I'm not so sure about JPlay, as you know I tried it, but supposedly, far from being a direct path to the kernel, lower latency etc, it actually add's an extra layer of processing, which should mean that it's slower millisecond wise compared to wasapi, possibly also asio.

That being said, I did notice a difference SQ wise, but it was too inconsistent and buggy on my nuc with a brand new windows 10 install, and with only a couple of programs installed, roon server, plex, av and fw, and then optimised for speed by disabling non critical bullschit that windows 10 comes with.

Alot of bad things can be said about windows xp, but it sure was good and easy to rip 3/4 of it out and it would still boot up and work perfectly, albeit much faster than a stock install of xp.

As for JPlay, I can see the potential in it, but the way it is now, I could never recommend someone to buy it for the price they are asking. £125, a few more quid would get ya an entire windows 10 OS. If they fixed the bugs and updated it to 2019 standards, and got rid of the text based audio player that is w.t.f.

I really think if they did that, it would be much more widely used, as at the moment, it feels right at home on a windows 98 pc. If they did the above, I'd buy it.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #7,348 of 18,895
I'm not so sure about JPlay, as you know I tried it, but supposedly, far from being a direct path to the kernel, lower latency etc, it actually add's an extra layer of processing, which should mean that it's slower millisecond wise compared to wasapi, possibly also asio.

That being said, I did notice a difference SQ wise, but it was too inconsistent and buggy on my nuc with a brand new windows 10 install, and with only a couple of programs installed, roon server, plex, av and fw, and then optimised for speed by disabling non critical bullschit that windows 10 comes with.

Alot of bad things can be said about windows xp, but it sure was good and easy to rip 3/4 of it out and it would still boot up and work perfectly, albeit much faster than a stock install of xp.

As for JPlay, I can see the potential in it, but the way it is now, I could never recommend someone to buy it for the price they are asking. £125, a few more quid would get ya an entire windows 10 OS. If they fixed the bugs and updated it to 2019 standards, and got rid of the text based audio player that is w.t.f.

I really think if they did that, it would be much more widely used, as at the moment, it feels right at home on a windows 98 pc. If they did the above, I'd buy it.
There’s a 30 day trial, it uses kernel streaming as an alternative to ASIO. Worth a try as improvements are immediately obvious :)

Oct 13, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #7,349 of 18,895

Really nice cables.

Agreed TT2 driving speakers. Once you get used to it, you can't believe what's happening. Or rather how good it is.

To add to praise for direct driving speakers. I listen quite a bit away from the sweetspot. My feelings about listening off sweetspot have always been positive with Chord DACs. Even when I was using Hugo 2 and an amplifier, I could hardly believe it. The sound was so hear through, solid, and right, that off sweetspot was perfect too. You cold still hear the sounds in their respective places, just as clear as in the sweetspot.

I listen at about 35 degrees away from sweetspot. What's surprising is that the speaker which is nearer to me and should sound louder, is OK. It's doesn't sound loud enough to throw the experience. It still sounds like you could either be listening head on - in the sweetspot. Or sometimes it looks like your listening from the side, but the sounds are complete. A bit like watching a hologram from the side. Everything in place. The difference depends on the music density I think.

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #7,350 of 18,895
Has anyone here had any extensive listening comparing the TT2 to the benchmark dac3 or matrix audio x-sabre pro?

Reason being I have the other 2 dacs above and was curious how the TT2 compares.. Because, well, you know, there IS ALWAYS this itch somewhere that needs to be scratched...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back