Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 28, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #4,756 of 18,886
This just reminds me of fact you can have AC and DC on the same wire.

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #4,757 of 18,886
Do you think lgv30 with usb audio player pro is good streamer for tt2? Thank you

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #4,758 of 18,886
/OT

Just to respond to this specific question in a very general sense, if not outside the conventional box.... Because it isn't 1's and 0's. They are a figment of human imagination, a representation. At the core of it all digital simply means sampled data and analogue simply means continuous data. We don’t live in the Tron world. The actual storage/transmission is an analogue storage/transmission by nature that represents a certain state making the data easier for us to manipulate. On magnetic hard drives it's +/- magnetic states. With solid state drives it's trapped electrons present/not present. In electrical transmission it's a threshold of Voltage. In optical transmission it's pulses of light. One can think of words written on paper as a digital representation of our thoughts (sampled data). Contemporary society is just used to thinking of these different sampled analogue states (digital) as something different from the analogue world we live in, usually specific to electrical devices. There's lot's that can affect the sampled storage/manipulation/transmission with audio.

Specifically why one source sounds different than another can be a very complex answer depending on hardware/software configurations. Also, we can't discount brain bias... The AK devices are expensive-so-they-sound-better kind of thing. I'm not saying definitively that's the case here but it happens. Unless running a slew of tests to isolate variables I fear we will never really know actually where, or what, the differences we hear are coming from.

That’s my $0.02 regarding 1’s and 0’s.

/OT

Here's my cent.
The digital information is stored in analog waveforms as you said. The waveforms vary while the digital information remains the same. That's the stability of digital media. A perfect DAC should completely get rid of those various waveforms and always output the same as long as the digital contents are the same, however, we don't have such a perfect device. That's why even a USB cable can affect audio performance - it brings distortion into the analog part of the digital signal.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #4,759 of 18,886
It was more of a rhetorical question. I understand why they can sound different but have been attacked in the past for suggesting the possibility.. I have heard rob watts uses his iPhone but my tests have shown the iPhone to be a good deal quieter in output.
I’m guessing as to why the ak products are so good. Crystek clocks being a random guess. It seems like the other daps I have used leading up to the ak are doing their job as digital streamers but don’t do it nearly as well. All of my other daps have off line capability which would save me hundreds in data charges each month (I stream tidal mostly) but I can’t stoop to use them as I can hear the difference almost immediately.
I hear ya on expectational bias but the output level is quantifiable. I like to listen LOUD for short periods of time and the other daps just sound anemic compared to the ak. I have to turn things up into the blue which never happens with ak feeds. AK stays in the green for my standard of loudness. That’s the part that makes me wonder what the diff is between one bit stream and another. How are they rendered? It seems like the cheaper ones are forced induction (engine analogy here) and the ak is pure horsepower. Both use different systems to achieve the same output but one is more expensive to build than the other Like they can get it to work but don’t have the guts to take a incoming stream and force it right back out the usb or toslink without dissembling and reassembling the bit stream and while doing so wind up lowering the output by 10 percent. Maybe the parts of the ak that work on this process are just superior and that’s one of the reasons they cost so much? Just the ramblings of a tortured audioslave...

Sounds to me like the AK380 is definitely the better source. I've experienced this before and when there is less RF noise the volume is usually less and you want to turn it up.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,761 of 18,886
Just got my TT2 and M scaler. Is there a way to display the sampling rate other than the colors? Thanks

It displays briefly in the LCD display

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #4,763 of 18,886
Just got my TT2 and M scaler. Is there a way to display the sampling rate other than the colors? Thanks

I am also curious to know how HMS displays the input sample rate - this topic is completely omitted from the on line manual. There is mention of colours for video mode, input type and output sample rate, but no mention of input sample rate.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #4,764 of 18,886
I am also curious to know how HMS displays the input sample rate - this topic is completely omitted from the on line manual. There is mention of colours for video mode, input type and output sample rate, but no mention of input sample rate.
It uses the First dx light to display input sample rate using a different colour for each rate and those colours are listed in the manual.
When connected to tt2, u get further signals, like the big coloured light on top of the tt goes the same colour, the lcd on tt2 briefly echos out the rate too... may be one more place too.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #4,765 of 18,886
For those interested in furthering their knowledge concerning the very essence of digital vs analogue signals i found the following wiki overview enlightening and it highlights some very basic facts that i for one had taken for granted. the topic is simply "signal".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal

That's my good deed for the day done.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #4,766 of 18,886
When enabling bit perfect in UAPP and turning on flight mode then it "should" sound great. Youll have to test for yourself though and see what you think.

I am planning this experiment soon since maybe if background processes are off I can get phone to charge while supplying TT2

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #4,767 of 18,886
It uses the First dx light to display input sample rate using a different colour for each rate and those colours are listed in the manual.
When connected to tt2, u get further signals, like the big coloured light on top of the tt goes the same colour, the lcd on tt2 briefly echos out the rate too... may be one more place too.

Thanks for the info. I have read the HMS manual three times and cant see any mention of the DX light showing input sample rate. Which page did you see it on? I had a TT2 on demo for a month so quite familiar with that - with HMS connected I would of thought that the TT2 would show the upscaled sample rate (eg 705.6 kHz).

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #4,768 of 18,886
Thanks for the info. I have read the HMS manual three times and cant see any mention of the DX light showing input sample rate. Which page did you see it on? I had a TT2 on demo for a month so quite familiar with that - with HMS connected I would of thought that the TT2 would show the upscaled sample rate (eg 705.6 kHz).
Indeed it does. First, briefly in the display and secondly in the top window. However, I for one can’t detect the subtle difference between the colours for 705.6 and 768.
The DX light on HMS reflects the input sample rate by colour (red = 44.1,green = 96 etc).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4,769 of 18,886
It’s not in the manual :) not that I could see

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #4,770 of 18,886
8C9E9554-2560-474C-88EE-594AE88189A5.jpeg E405653A-0654-4648-9DF1-ACA9722EEF9A.jpeg 9FBDD1A3-1C6B-4388-ADE7-EBA1875892B8.jpeg

Fresh out the box with only a few hours on it, I’m definitely loving the detail I’m hearing with TT2. However, just like my Hugo 2 when it was brand new, IMO Chord dac analog output sections need some break-in time to sound their fullest and smoothest. To my ears, Hugo 2 was so thin and brittle sounding the first 50-100hrs it was borderline unlistenable, but recently at over 300hrs it was so much more fleshed out and smooth I almost didn’t wanna sell it to buy TT2. It was that good. TT2 isn’t nearly as problematic fresh from the box but I’m definitely hearing that new amp brittle sound that fades over time. Anyway, here’s a few pics I took on this rainy southern California morning..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back