Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #4,561 of 18,895
I can only speak from personal experience with TT2 and Dave when connected to the HMS but the difference between the Dave and TT2 connected to HMS is big (IMO) so the DAC is still playing a big part in the overall sound quality even though HMS is doing its bit.

Yes, the DAVE's 20e Pulse Array and noise shapers are still in play over the TT2's in your scenario. The TT2 and Qutest share the same 10e Pulse Array but I can't recall if there were any other tweaks besides the analogue OP differences.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #4,562 of 18,895
Yes, the DAVE's 20e Pulse Array and noise shapers are still in play over the TT2's in your scenario. The TT2 and Qutest share the same 10e Pulse Array but I can't recall if there were any other tweaks besides the analogue OP differences.

I’m not sure, I thought TT2 was 12 element pulse array ?

I’m probably wrong, maybe I mistook it for 12 something elses on TT2 ?

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #4,563 of 18,895
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #4,565 of 18,895
No doubt it will be 10, I probably got it confused with something else.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #4,566 of 18,895
From memory the TT2 is 10, but the DAVE has the advantage with 20.
A DAVE 2, with the same output power as the TT2 would be an interesting concept.

I have been trying a TT2 and I don’t think it has enough power for me to give up my external amps with my 89db speakers in a biggish room. It is fine, no not fine, it is truly exceptional used nearfield in a smaller room and at moderate volumes but sometimes I want to really feel that bass. For me Dave with more power than TT2 might be interesting. . .

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #4,567 of 18,895
I have been trying a TT2 and I don’t think it has enough power for me to give up my external amps with my 89db speakers in a biggish room. It is fine, no not fine, it is truly exceptional used nearfield in a smaller room and at moderate volumes but sometimes I want to really feel that bass. For me Dave with more power than TT2 might be interesting. . .
I can only speak from my Hugo 2 experience.
For me the Hugo 2 is fine for moderate volumes, with 89/90dB speakers, in a room with floorplan 5m * 10m.
I expect that the TT2 will give even better headroom.
For better headroom, I do wonder if we have to wait for the DX amps. However if such output power could be incorporated in the DAVE 2, then I expect there would be many interested owners.
I believe that one piece of music that would be an interesting test of such capability, is Orff Carmina Burana. The distinct levels between the initial quiet vocal section,and the later loud choir section, is a revealing test.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #4,568 of 18,895

I would trade in my tt2 and hms for a dave with tt2’s power.

But then I would have no mscaler, but I’m sure I could pick one up at a later date but, I dont like the colour silver on HMS, and dave looks horrid in black.

Decisions decisions.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #4,569 of 18,895
+1 not enough oomph for direct speakers for me much better through Amp which is one of the reasons for buying the Dave along with its exceptional sound to TT2.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #4,570 of 18,895
I can only speak from my Hugo 2 experience.
For me the Hugo 2 is fine for moderate volumes, with 89/90dB speakers, in a room with floorplan 5m * 10m.
I expect that the TT2 will give even better headroom.
For better headroom, I do wonder if we have to wait for the DX amps. However if such output power could be incorporated in the DAVE 2, then I expect there would be many interested owners.
I believe that one piece of music that would be an interesting test of such capability, is Orff Carmina Burana. The distinct levels between the initial quiet vocal section,and the later loud choir section, is a revealing test.

I agree with your choice of work in theory.
But what recording of it do you have in mind?
I am not aware of any really good,well recorded recent recordings of Carmina Burana?
If you are I would appreciate if you could let me know your recommended recording of it.
I only have the classic old DGG 60s Jochum on LP and though musically still great it is as I remember it one of many dynamically quite compressed and a bit congested at climaxes, typical DGG recordings from those days.
But I have some quite recent recordings of Verdi Operas like for example Pappano's Verdi Aida recording on Warner as 24/96 download and it is also a very richly scored work with lots of both everything at full tilt very very loud passages for both full orchestra soloists and choir, and some other parts especially the introduction verging on almost inaudible at the other dynamic extreme.
I am not sure but I suspect the dynamic range in that recording at times exceeds 70 dB compared to the maximum 55dB on a typical analogue recorded LP.
It needs both quite a big room and a powerful amp and large speakers to shine in its full glory.
It will be one of the first recordings I will play via HMS Qutest back home.
Qutest on its own was not quite up to the job of doing it justice.
This Aida recording is very good material for sorting complex scoring and inner voices things out and some of the greatest music in all of Opera thrown in as a bonus.
Large scale Opera at its very best imho.
Another quite good example is Muti's CSO live 24/96 recording of Otello which also has an impressive dynamic range.
Massive forces at times and Desdemona's last prayer very suitably ppp.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #4,571 of 18,895

Could someone please explain the difference between 10 elements and 20 elements in a dac?
Why not 30 elements or 1000 elements DACs??
Over at CA there is a guy who argues that he can do 32 elements and 16M taps now. Anyone who can explain further ?
I have asked before but received no response here.
I grasp the fact that elements obviously matter quite a bit and that Rob limits even TT2 to 10 elements possibly with the intention of not turning DAVE redundant at this point in time.
But if TT2 has more power than DAVE the next logical step if ultimate SQ is the goal would be a dac with both as many elements as theoretically needed for ultimate performance with the maximum number of taps in combination with sufficient power or "juice" if you like instead of not enough for really demanding needs.
I am fully aware of commercial considerations . But wish they did not play such an important role in this game.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,572 of 18,895
Could someone please explain the difference between 10 elements and 20 elements in a dac?
Why not 30 elements or 1000 elements DACs??
Over at CA there is a guy who argues that he can do 32 elements and 16M taps now. Anyone who can explain further ?
I have asked before but received no response here.
I grasp the fact that elements obviously matter quite a bit and that Rob limits even TT2 to 10 elements possibly with the intention of not turning DAVE redundant at this point in time.
But if TT2 has more power than DAVE the next logical step if ultimate SQ is the goal would be a dac with both as many elements as theoretically needed for ultimate performance with the maximum number of taps in combination with sufficient power or "juice" if you like instead of not enough for really demanding needs.
I am fully aware of commercial considerations . But wish they did not play such an important role in this game.

Search Rob’s posts for Pulse Array.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #4,574 of 18,895
I've listened to dave solo and tt2/hms. Dave presents a lighter more visible airy sound with amazing detail and tt2/hms a darker, heavier type sound but instrument separation and the placement of each of the constituent elements that make the music "stick" is absolutely spot on. I have a dilemma with regards to upgrading.....trade in my current h2/hms towards a dave or just add a tt2 by exchanging my h2. If i go the dave route there will be a long gap before i can add another hms. Maybe a year at least. The dave thread speak about dave 'goodness' being unmatched whereas the tt2/hms camp place the musical qualities of the hms in tandem with the tt2 above all else. Also Ray places my h2/hms ahead of dave and Rob has stated his preference for tt2/hms for its musical qualities. However the prospect of owning a black dave is very tantalising and there are certain qualities that only a dave can convey being the one of the best dacs on the market, if not the best. What does everyone suggest? thanks mk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back