Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #14,926 of 18,895
Same here... using SRC-DX with a Mac mini M1 HQPlayer on a fibre network and PGGB files. Works really well and not missing the MScaler.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #14,928 of 18,895
I am sorry but I am going to completely disagree with you over this one.

A little background to this; just as Covid started I wanted to design the best possible RF filter using SPICE simulation. I modelled PCB traces, internal parasitic capacitance, resistance and inductance to all the filter components, and set myself the target of eliminating RF noise from 100kHz to 10GHz - the areas that we have subjective problems with. I then set the task of making the RF noise OP to be sub 10 pico volts, using typical measured levels of RF noise as the input. Firstly I used a switcher voltage - indicative of the noise from a quality switched mode PSU. This was extremely easy to eliminate the switching noise - just a simple 3 stage RF filter, something I fit in all of my designs. But the real issue became when I replaced the input with a typical switcher voltage to one of random RF noise. And to eliminate that was a complete nightmare - it ended up being a very complex design, as it's almost impossible to remove random RF noise down to pico volt levels.

Why the issue of random noise? The problem is noise floor modulation, and this is caused by any non-linearity in the signal path with random RF noise, as this creates intermodulation distortion, the products of which is random with a white noise spectrum from DC to 10GHz - but it's the audio component to this that gives you the noise floor modulation. But if you use a switching component only, this creates discrete frequencies which are outside the audio bandwidth, so are not directly audible - so switching RF noise is easy to filter, and has a smaller subjective consequence too as it does not add to noise floor modulation at all.

And noise floor modulation is very, very audible - my recent research and listening tests indicates that even noise floor modulation as low as -350dB is perceivable under single blind conditions. Which basically means any noise floor modulation, no matter how small, will change your perception of timbre. Adding noise floor modulation makes it sound brighter with an entirely artificial sense of transparency, which may sound impressive on an AB listening test but will damage musicality (as timbre variation is suppressed) and increase listening fatigue.

Audiophile linear PSUs have no RF filters built into them, and so let in random RF noise from the mains. SMPS on the other hand, employ multiple RF filters and so suppress random RF noise. Batteries have almost zero RF noise (a 12v car battery is particularly good). The mains power has large levels of random RF noise from any device that has a processor, to florescent light bulbs (any plasma creates wideband random RF noise), so using a battery will completely isolate you from mains random RF noise.

So using a LPS categorically will increase noise floor modulation, giving you a brighter sound quality and degrading musicality; if you prefer that sound then so be it, but you are "preferring" distortion.

Absolutely - even more so if you use a 300A car battery - zero RF noise, huge levels of dynamic currents. But the tweakers will still prefer their LPS - just random RF noise sources to artificially spice up the sound.
Thanks for the clarification. I think the noise floor modulation issue with digital is huge. To me, it explains why the TT2 sounds as good as it does.

I'm using the M-Scaler/TT2 as a DAC/Preamp combination, connected to a pair of custom tube monoblocks for speakers. At the highest upscaling setting, the sound is absolutely amazing.

Also use the combination of the M-Scaler/TT2 with a OTL headphone amp, as well as the built-in headphone amp. Both sound incredible with Abyss 1266 phi cc cans. The OTL provides a slightly different flavor to the built-in headphone amp, but both are extremely musical and enjoyable.

The M-Scaler/TT2 combination is so good, don't feel any need to upgrade.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #14,929 of 18,895
Thanks for the clarification. I think the noise floor modulation issue with digital is huge. To me, it explains why the TT2 sounds as good as it does.

I'm using the M-Scaler/TT2 as a DAC/Preamp combination, connected to a pair of custom tube monoblocks for speakers. At the highest upscaling setting, the sound is absolutely amazing.

Also use the combination of the M-Scaler/TT2 with a OTL headphone amp, as well as the built-in headphone amp. Both sound incredible with Abyss 1266 phi cc cans. The OTL provides a slightly different flavor to the built-in headphone amp, but both are extremely musical and enjoyable.

The M-Scaler/TT2 combination is so good, don't feel any need to upgrade.
I’m adding the Riviera A1C-10 my MSccaler/TT2 combo. should be in on Wednesday.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #14,930 of 18,895
Regarding Batteries vs stock SMPS vs Linear Power Supply.
I am weary of the SMPS because it’s not clear whether or not it’s contributing to the clicking problem that has afflicted some TT2 owners’ units. It might just be a flaw in the Inrush Limiter, but I’ve not seen anything official regarding this.
Batteries are, for me, an inconvenience, they have no over-current protection and without exception, I have found the resultant sound to be dull and flat.
My Farad Super3 may be channelling RFI but, ya know what, my TT2 sounds great with it.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #14,932 of 18,895
Just picked up a TT2...wish I had just bought this from the start. Had a Qutest for a week before I picked this up...honestly...that thing is great as well. Wish I could have kept both...but the wife told me to stop buying and start selling.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #14,933 of 18,895
Just picked up a TT2...wish I had just bought this from the start. Had a Qutest for a week before I picked this up...honestly...that thing is great as well. Wish I could have kept both...but the wife told me to stop buying and start selling.
Maybe a DAVE next week then? 😉

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #14,937 of 18,895
Audeze LCD 5:L3000:
I've been looking at them...but haven't seen enough reviews to make a decision. I didn't find @Currawong 's review to be overly positive. I got the impression that LCD-5 was unlikely to stay in his collection for a long time. I was expecting the LCD-5 to punch at the level of the Susvara. I think we are at the point where we are going to see flagships start to get updated across multiple brands...so we'll see.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #14,938 of 18,895
I was just casually scrolling through Moon Audio (yeah, right!) when I noticed that the prices of the Hugo TT 2 and Hugo M Scaler have now been revised -

1634927929087.png
1634927965481.png

The Hugo TT 2 was previously $5,495 (+$500) and the Hugo M Scaler was $4,795 (+$500).

So, yes, an increase of $1,000 for this stack.

HeadAmp's website shows a similar increase in price for the Hugo TT 2 and the Hugo M Scaler. In fact, I think that the prices of most of Chord's products have been adjusted upwards, including the Dave, the Hugo 2, and the Qutest.

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #14,939 of 18,895
I was just casually scrolling through Moon Audio (yeah, right!) when I noticed that the prices of the Hugo TT 2 and Hugo M Scaler have now been revised -

The Hugo TT 2 was previously $5,495 (+$500) and the Hugo M Scaler was $4,795 (+$500).

So, yes, an increase of $1,000 for this stack.

HeadAmp's website shows a similar increase in price for the Hugo TT 2 and the Hugo M Scaler. In fact, I think that the prices of most of Chord's products have been adjusted upwards, including the Dave, the Hugo 2, and the Qutest.
Wow, great news I was debating if I should sell the Qutest the TT2 replaced it has been just sitting in a drawer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back