Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #7,771 of 18,851
GreenBow, have you realized that an integrated amp would mean two additional amplification stages compared to your now system? Actually you don't really need a preamp. Why not consider a mere input selector?

Yeah, thank you; I never saw one of those before. While I need an analogue pre-amp or as you suggest, input selector, I'd need an amplifier after the input selector. However there is one more requirement. Worrying about the TT2 running out of juice in summer when using air-con. My speakers are not so sensitive. I'd need to push up volume making TT2 a bit hot.

I guess best idea is check out some amplifiers and then see what I think. I always felt that if I get a good enough amplifier and interconnect, I would be OK. It's possible I would be really impressed with my Rega Brio with a top quality interconnect. It's good enough now, but I do lose a dimension compared with TT2 speakers direct.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #7,772 of 18,851
Or think outside the box. Sell or trade TT2 and Qutest and get Dave plus an amplifier. The transparency of Dave plus a decent amp is much better than TT2 direct (IMO of course) and so you could use that for everything (and maybe add an Mscaler later).

That is my 2p.

I think the DAVE amplifier is a good idea, but I like the TT2 power for driving speakers. That sounds like a contradiction, but I always thought about keeping TT2 speaker adapters. Even when having an amplifier, as I would alternate. Like I go through phases. If I have a couple of PC games I like, I play for ages, so I'd use Qutest. Then when I buy new music, or upgrade a component, all I do is listen. I have not had a good new game for ages (long story short - Epic Games store exclusives). Plus I recently upgraded my speakers, so I have listened solidly for over a month. Mostly TT2 direct drive.

(Plus there's always that extra TT2 power if I ever bought a harder to drive headphone. I was even having bonkers momentary ideas about buying the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. Though not sure I could use those on my Hugo 2 as well.)

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #7,773 of 18,851
Really grateful for your inputs folks.

I have been batting this idea around my head for some time. I guess I should try auditioning some amps and see what I think.

I think my main problems are.
1. Would I get through summer with TT2 direct drive. (Heat and volume over air-con.)
2. Would I want to run TT2 all the time; not really? Qutest.
3. What when I want more power if ever? TT2 is loud by itself in a smallish room.
4. Finding a top quality amplifier with low enough power rating. (Like Lavardin ISx Reference, or Moon 240i or 250i.) Lavardin are in the top of this low power amplifier game; gorgeous amplifiers too.

NB It's a strang experience going back to TT2 direct driving speakers, after having used amplifier for a while again. The TT2 almost sounds too detailed. It's occasionally like "Nooo, turn down the detail a bit". Or rather the sheer depth to the sound takes re-adjusting to. It's more impactful and expressive though.

I'll get used to TT2 direct drive on speakers again though. It only ever sounds smoother than silk once adjusted.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #7,774 of 18,851
Just realised i've been listening on filter 4 (warm with hf roll off) since i've owned tt2 so about 2 months now.:astonished: Quickly back on filter 1 absolute incisive this evening which was white on hugo 2 256fs. I wonder if this transition will extinguish the idea of upgrading to dave next year. The guitar plucking on Romeo Santos' album Golden is more distinct and the drum programming is sharp. Not placebo.

wow. I know that is a huge difference. Might want to check your crossfeed settings too.

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #7,775 of 18,851
XFD 3:thumbsup:

Greenbow TT toby and mscaler stacked with TT2 would cover anything you want to do IMHO.

Chord_HUGO2_4675_RT_low.png

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #7,776 of 18,851
Quick question. With internet radio easy to access why the need for a dab radio with optical out? Surely just connect your pc and stream into dac??

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #7,777 of 18,851
Grennbow Audio bacon in the m-scaler review mentioned something about future plans of an digital amplification amp by chord connecting with the dx port i think. Maybe wait for that one?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #7,778 of 18,851
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #7,779 of 18,851
Quick question. With internet radio easy to access why the need for a dab radio with optical out? Surely just connect your pc and stream into dac??

There is no 'need' as such but I personally just find it easy to have the DAB radio tuned to Radio 3 and switched on all the time so whenever I want it, it is just there and easy to get by selecting that optical input to the TT2 or Mscaler. I accept that DAB is inferior to R3 internet radio stream but convenience wins for me and it still sounds mighty fine.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #7,780 of 18,851
I keep saying I think I will end up needing an pre-amplifier for Qutest next to TT2. Even listed my factors above. Hence why I am stuck.

There is no 'need' as such but I personally just find it easy to have the DAB radio tuned to Radio 3 and switched on all the time so whenever I want it, it is just there and easy to get by selecting that optical input to the TT2 or Mscaler. I accept that DAB is inferior to R3 internet radio stream but convenience wins for me and it still sounds mighty fine.

I like DAB into optical; surprisingly good.

xfd 3:thumbsup:

Greenbow TT toby and mscaler stacked with TT2 would cover anything you want to do IMHO.

If I went TT2 only, I suppose I would have to stop doing trivial sound use. Like checking out daft videos on the DM website. I do stuff like watch funny animal vids on YouTube. Was going to use Qutest for gaming and stuff like YouTube. I could go TT2 only though.

Question is, how good would a great amp and a hot interconnect be if I decided to go amplifier route. I might never know?

By the way is that picture from the HiFi Choice review of Ttoby, TT2 and HMS?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #7,781 of 18,851
xfd 3:thumbsup:

£10400 plus speakers (another £2-8K). Must sound awesome and I even believe it is a good value compared to the competition when it comes to sound quality. Unfortunately out of reach for most including me at the moment.

I keep saying I think I will end up needing an pre-amplifier for Qutest next to TT2. Even listed my factors above. Hence why I am stuck.

I like DAB into optical; surprisingly good.

If I went TT2 only, I suppose I would have to stop doing trivial sound use. Like checking out daft videos on the DM website. I do stuff like watch funny animal vids on YouTube. Was going to use Qutest for gaming and stuff like YouTube. I could go TT2 only though.

Question is, how good would a great amp and a hot interconnect be if I decided to go amplifier route. I might never know?

By the way is that from the HiFi Choice review of Ttoby, TT2 and HMS?
Never feel ashamed of using TT2 for youtube. Think about it as selling Qutest would give you 1K towards an MScaler. :)

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #7,782 of 18,851
I think I am probably fighting the inevitable though. The Hugo M-Scaler.[/QUOTE/) Hi Greenbow, I am heading to a dealer tomorrow to order my Mscaler.I am also going to demo several different speakers,and integrated amps, including the Naim SN3. I will let you know what I think of it.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #7,783 of 18,851

Yeah I suppose one problem is that Chord don't make a lower end integrated amplifier. Was thinking that today. I even ended up taking a longer passing look at a Chord integrated amplifier today. Amazing design. Would be a real treat to own one.

I won't be waiting for a DX amp, unless of course I stay TT2 only for all jobs. Rob Watts really landed clean, when he gave the TT2 lots of power. I know as Triode said, TT2 driving speakers can be a negative when you can't get enough power. For us who are happy with a few watts though, it's nirvana plain and simple.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #7,784 of 18,851
Just realise that the useless stuff on you tube can never adversely effect the quality of something like the triple stack. A bonus to watch animals on you tube in hi res sound. When you listen to the music you know that's what it's really about. The TT toby was designed for the TT chord range, TT, TT2 and mscaler so toby was designed and tuned for them something you won't get with a non chord solution. The pic was on chord's facebook page. Just my two cents. With TT2 and mscaler you won't even remember qutest no matter how compact and good it is for what it is.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #7,785 of 18,851
I think I am probably fighting the inevitable though. The Hugo M-Scaler.[/QUOTE Hi Greenbow, I am heading to a dealer tomorrow to order my Mscaler.I am also going to demo several different speakers,and integrated amps, including the Naim SN3. I will let you know what I think of it.

Nice.

£10400 plus speakers (another £2-8K). Must sound awesome and I even believe it is a good value compared to the competition when it comes to sound quality. Unfortunately out of reach for most including me at the moment.

Never feel ashamed of using TT2 for youtube. Think about it as selling Qutest would give you 1K towards an MScaler. :)

Am not ashamed of using TT2 for Youtube. I audition albums on Youtube before I buy them. (I'll be checking out the 7th and 8th albums by Melissa Etheridge. Plus the 2nd and 3rd albums from Donna Lewis soon enough.) Just I don't feel the need to run TT2 for other more menial stuff. Like at the moment I am streaming Smallville from Amazon Prime. With TT2 (with or without amplifier) that sounds brilliant. However it's perfectly good enough with Qutest. I mean Qutest for watching TV - it's like 'ping':bulb:. (Am very lucky in that regard.)

Gaming too. I think I would prefer to keep T2 for music. Not wear TT2 out playing Youtube funny vids.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back