Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #7,246 of 18,895
You could plug in a pair of XLR Neutrik plugs that don't have any cable in them. Easy and cheap solution if you really have a problem.

It's that my TT2 is on a desk. Right now there are things like batteries within 30cm of the back of the TT2. I have even put a sheet of tablets near the rear of the TT2, not thinking about the metal coating. I actually used the cables at the back of the TT2 to hold the tablets once.

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #7,247 of 18,895
It's that my TT2 is on a desk. Right now there are things like batteries within 30cm of the back of the TT2. I have even put a sheet of tablets near the rear of the TT2, not thinking about the metal coating. I actually used the cables at the back of the TT2 to hold the tablets once.

Do what I suggest then and plug in some XLR plugs that don't have any wire in them.

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #7,248 of 18,895
There has been some chat on the Mscaler thread about dac and amp mode on the TT2 and I mention it because the fixed output of Dac mode is -5 L ie low gain and that is 2.5v.

You mention +3 in high gain being the same as +13 in low gain but Rob has done it in what he thought was a more intuitive way so that the volume of +3 in low gain is the same as +3 in high gain. For instance I have just swopped between -5 in low gain and it has exactly the same volume as -5 in high gain mode. Have you tried listening to +3H and +13L? Then you will understand.

Am probably not going to get to test that. 0dB in high gain is my max. Not just for tolerable volume, although for a second I could listen to more than 0dB. Also for safety. Rob said that the max he can use for his speakers are +7dB. I think I could go that high, but am not willing to test over 0dB in single ended mode.

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7,249 of 18,895
Am probably not going to get to test that. 0dB in high gain is my max. Not just for tolerable volume, although for a second I could listen to more than 0dB. Also for safety. Rob said that the max he can use for his speakers are +7dB. I think I could go that high, but am not willing to test over 0dB in single ended mode.

I only mentioned +3H and +13L because those were the volumes you mentioned. I didn't realise you were driving speakers direct, I did my test listening into an amplifier where I could set the sensitivity to cope with +3H and +13L. Anyway, you really don't need to test it, the volume level in Low gain is exactly the same for the same indicated volume when in High gain.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #7,250 of 18,895
I only mentioned +3H and +13L because those were the volumes you mentioned. I didn't realise you were driving speakers direct, I did my test listening into an amplifier where I could set the sensitivity to cope with +3H and +13L. Anyway, you really don't need to test it, the volume level in Low gain is exactly the same for the same indicated volume when in High gain.

Yes I could check the levels using an amplifier for +3dB in low and high gain. It would make sense that you are right. I risked it and did a quick check with TT2 at +3 dB. It did sound similar. However I didn't test for long enough to be sure. I don't doubt that you are right since you tested it and you said Rob said so.

I think I am confused because of the post that I quoted of Robs, where he said the following. (Post #128 of 7249 )
Low gain mode: This changes the gain of the amplifier, and limits the output to a maximum of 3V RMS RCA (6V RMS XLR).
Use the volume control: So setting the volume to -3dB will limit it to 3v RMS, exactly the same as Dave and Hugo 2; so just 4 clicks down (-7 dB) will mean 1.9v RMS maximum.

What I mean is, if -3dB is 3V RMS. Then how can Low Gain mode limit the output to 3V RMS, since LG mode goes above -3dB? LG mode gets louder if you increase volume over -3dB.

EDIT: Secondly, I think it might be that +3dB low gain is 3V RMS. (As opposed Rob saying -3dB is 3V RMS.) It's because the colour volume indicator is only one shade from 3V RMS on the Hugo 2. Of course they may not be related.

Anyway, right now I am confused and possibly not making sense, so I give up.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #7,251 of 18,895
Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-09 o 19.52.42.png
Finally :)

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #7,252 of 18,895
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #7,253 of 18,895

The icons for them are in roon now.

Yesterday they were not there, and I don't remember my roon updating itself.

Ahwell, now we can use the proper icons but, what happens if we have both the mscaler and TT2, we only get to pick one icon, not both like mojo and poly.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #7,254 of 18,895
I watched a video on perfect pursuit by the dude from Roon, he was saying that when a device is Roon ready, that Roon give code to the manufacturer to embed in the hardware. I wonder what the case with mscaler/tt2 is. And is it only subject to using usb. Does it actually mean anything in this specific case.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #7,255 of 18,895
I also came across a really good deal for just £3000 if anyone's in the market for one. introducing the best ground box Entreq ever made. i mean it doesn't even plug in the wall? it's all about the hidden crystals and minerals. it's all the rave apparently.

Entreq-Olympus-004-450x500.jpg
I would definetly consider buying the cheaper minimus wooden box for real. With 2 weeks money back gurantee if i dident hear a difference for the better. Something about draning away high frequency stay currents floating about in the system and it will find a home in the wooden box instead. The wonders of hifi.

Unplugged the atlas mavros rca grun cables from my streamer and damn how much worse the hugo2 direct driving hd800s sounded. Hugo 2 is connected to same streamer with spdif.Really night and day. I would think this is the same level of removing an mscaler. So draning away rfi/emi is crucial.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #7,256 of 18,895
Unplugged the atlas mavros rca grun cables from my streamer and damn how much worse the hugo2 direct driving hd800s sounded

Could you explain a little more plz.

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #7,257 of 18,895
Does anyone know the exact specs of TT2's Bluetooth module ?

Is it BT 4.2 or 5.0, is it aptx low latency or aptx hd, or is it just aptx, does it support ldac ? Etc etc etc.

Anyone ?

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #7,258 of 18,895
I would definetly consider buying the cheaper minimus wooden box for real. With 2 weeks money back gurantee if i dident hear a difference for the better. Something about draning away high frequency stay currents floating about in the system. The wonders of hifi.

Unplugged the atlas mavros rca grun cables from my streamer and damn how much worse the hugo2 direct driving hd800s sounded. Hugo 2 is connected to same streamer with spdif.Really night and day. I would think this is the same level of removing an mscaler. So draning away rfi/emi is crucial.

Why not build your own minimus box, it will probably save you like the entire cost.

I'm sure 6 bits of wood can be found or thrown over the fence of B&Q outdoors so one can pick it up after leaving the store.

Either that or umm, buy a £10 wooden breadbox from argos.

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #7,259 of 18,895
I would definetly consider buying the cheaper minimus wooden box for real. With 2 weeks money back gurantee if i dident hear a difference for the better. Something about draning away high frequency stay currents floating about in the system.
‘There’s a snake in my boot!’

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #7,260 of 18,895
What is in the box, can anyone price a diy equivalent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back