1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470
472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481
Next

Last
  1. rkt31
    Directstream dac converts pcm to dsd inside . There are few dac doing this like esoteric and marantz sa10 CDP. The idea of converting pcm to dsd is as bad as dsd itself. Once converted to dsd, the small depth cues of pcm are already lost and music sounds softer. This is what these dacs want to present to consumers. There is a YouTube video by 'in pursuit of perfect system' where in they play tears in heaven by Eric Clapton from his live album. They have used different dac. Coincidentally both tt1 and directstream videos available. Even on YouTube video playing on phone you can listen better transients and free flowing music on tt1 video. Directstream presentation is lot softer and you can clearly listen the loss of depth cues with directstream with headphones. I have that cd of Eric Clapton since many years and can clearly tell that it is far from softer sounding.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    musickid likes this.
  2. musickid
    It's OK to disagree.:ok_hand:

JohnM-73 likes this.
  3. Hooster
    If you insist on going there, then: https://darko.audio/2019/01/chord-dave-vs-ps-audio-directstream/

"Retail pricing cleaves the Brit from the American more cleanly: US$12,488 for the DAVE, US$5999 for the DirectStream. On value for money, the PS Audio’s considerably lower asking makes it the goto unit."

I believe the discussion above pertains to the PS audio dac before a significant upgrade: http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2018/12/10/ps-audio-directstreamds-dac-snowmass:

bluenight likes this.
  4. rkt31
    it does not require Dave or even TT 2 to beat direct stream dac . Qutest is enough. Better to listen and compare both in a good speaker system . Some YouTube videos can also help.

musickid and bluenight like this.
  5. Hooster
    No, youtube will not help. You have no idea what format the youtube audio file is in. It is probably lossy. The audio first has to go through an analog to digital converter. Then the digital audio has to go through your dac. In order to correctly show the differences between Qutest and another dac it would have to be an order of magnitude better than say Qutest. If not, then all you would be hearing is how your dac is affecting the sound.

bluenight and JohnM-73 like this.
  6. rkt31
    This is I am afraid not the case. Going by that logic, if you record a video through a mobile phone of playing music on a high end dac and on 'another mobile phone' , you should not be able to find the difference through listening the video on phone or laptop ? Mobile phone or any other video recording device does not differentiate between live performance or playback while recording. I mean how would the recording device would know that it is recording a live performance or playback ? So a good system would definitely show up in these videos provided everything in the recording chain is same.

7. musickid
    I actually just felt the supercaps kick in at the end of Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto part 2 Decca recording 1995. As real as can be/visceral. I can think of worse ways to bring to an end Saturday late.

Also for the first time today i wasn't thinking about the difference in sound moving up from mH2 to mTT2 and was just relaxing and enjoying the music. I am however enjoying the improvements for sure. The PM1 sounds fuller, warmer and more transparent and yet again is showing what a microscope it is when scaling up. A definite neurophysiological response and one rarely discussed. When you consider that it's more important than any hardware/software combo that's quite surprising. Only Rob mentions it when talking about the amazing sensitivities of the brain's audio processing. My adjustment zone officially ended this morning.:eyeglasses:And very real it is too.

Tidal is now releasing some mqa only versions of albums i like. Not really on.

JohnM-73 likes this.
  8. musickid
    Has anyone tried beyer headphones with tt2? especially amiron home. it would be a strange pairing but i can't see why not.

9. JohnM-73
    FWIW, I tried a pair of these out only last week, but that was with my TT not a TT2. I found them impressive, extremely ‘punchy’ sounding, but the treble was way too hot. At least for me. Impressively detailed though and I heard plenty in the tracks I played that I hadn’t heard before. I’d say these are phones that merit an audition before buying.

JM1979 likes this.
  10. musickid
    Beyers are a bit treble sharp it's well known. My only concern is.....should the tt2 be paired with a TOTL headphone in the £1-3K range as most do here. Pairing tt2 with a lower end headphone seems to go against the trend. Would you be doing the tt2 full justice or not if you liked an entry level headphone and would it reveal all the tt2 is capable of? The amiron is mid-tier i think.

11. rkt31
    Hd650 goes well with tt2 and HMS. It does not have treble extension of the totl headphones but the treble is response is very clean. Bass is more than enough. You won't regret it. It is good for long listening sessions.

bluenight, ZappaMan and musickid like this.
  12. musickid
    did you try 880 600 ohm with chord stack?

13. GreenBow
    YouTube is definitely lossy. The last time I checked, the maximum bit rate you can playback video audio at is 192KHz. That was if you ran the vid at 1080p. It may have changed with the introduction of higher video resolution being on YouTube like 1440p and 2160.

14. betula
    The short answer, no. An entry level headphone won't show you what the TT2 is capable of.

99% of the headphones will sound at their best out of the TT2, including TOTL headphones. Why not go for the best you can afford then? If you buy a Ferrari, you want to take it to the race track, don't you? For 'casual downtown driving' a mid-fi headphone will do but that seems a bit like wasting resources with the TT2. If you own and were able to pay for TOTL gear, why save money on the most important link in the chain, that makes the biggest difference (headphones)?

The 'trend' why TT2 owners pair their DAC with TOTL heapdhones is because we want to make the most of our gear/wallet/listening pleasure. Make the most of the TT2 and the headphones.
    Sure, if you like the sound of some 'entry level' or 'mid-fi' headphones by all means enjoy them on your TT2. But those won't reveal what TT2 is about.

15. JohnM-73
    Ignore price tags and just audition. Once this hobby gets into paranoia levels of worry it ceases to bring pleasure. At least that’s what I’ve found. There are ‘cheap’ headphones that sounds great, and expensive ones that are a joke, and vice-versa. Try to make a shortlist of phones that both measure well, and have positive word of mouth, then see what you think. In the end no amount of hype or forum hyperbole or price tag is worth how your ears (and tastes) perceive a product.

JM1979, JTbbb, Hooster and 1 other person like this.
First

Back
461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470
472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481
Next

Last