1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316
318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327
Next

Last
  1. dawktah2
    Thanks so much for the reply. I just need to find a DAP to replace my phone as an file source. Anyone have FiiO M9? Can you charge at same time use SDIF out?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. seedubchris
    Highly recccomend Astell & kern ak320 /380. 10% more output than iPhone X via usb out. I was shocked . Also has toslink . Different . Quieter . I like the usb.

3. flyte3333
    Hi Rob, is this different to Qutest and Dave or exactly the same (~250mW drawn from USB source for all 3)?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  4. ZappaMan
    Seems very expensive at £1200.. suppose it’s same as mojo poly... but with benefit of digital out

5. plinth
    I have no trouble with the TT2 or the MScaler going through in carry-on luggage. I do make a point of taking them out and putting them fully exposed in the tray; it makes them work less hard in working out that they are not a threat.

What was the reason again that you needed a DAP as opposed to using your phone?

6. Rob Watts
    All my galvanically isolated designs are the same, so the USB decoder is powered via VBUS; indeed, one of the benefits of my isolation is that the USB decoder chip is isolated too; the DAC just sees I2S data, without the decoding noise present on the DAC's power and ground.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  7. dawktah2
    Earlier in this thread @Rob Watts answered a question about my phone Galaxy S6 on its wireless charger when connected to the TT2 (its galvanic isolation causes) it loses battery power at the same rate it charges. I haven't done a test to see if phone will make some headway if I turn off BT and Cell radios which I won't need in flight.

I was looking to see if there is a DAP out there that can be charged through a different port than the data port since wireless charging isn't the full 5v over USB or maybe even greater voltage if its an all entirely different connector. I don't plan on getting an new phone since Samsung dropped putting IR blaster on their phones. So it's more of a charging issue than media performance.

On a side note when I play music from my phone it doesn't provide enough power into my Aeon at a safe volume to overcome some of noise in flight so I have been using the Woo Audio WA8. The Woo WA8 seems to create a TSA issue although I am TSA pre-check and I didn't want to buy a Hugo2 and a TT2.

It looks like IBasso DX120 can be charged through USB while its using coax out. So can TT2 receive coax from iBasso and if so with what cable connectors on each end?

8. seedubchris
    Ya it’s spendy but it does sound better to my ears than any other source I have used and the TT2 is sensitive to source . I have been consistently suprised at how different these digital sources sound. If it’s just a stream of ones and zeroes than why does the ak sound so superior to me? Why is it so much louder than the iPhone X -Onkyo dpxia-Cayin n5i- etc... it has crystek femto clocks which might be helping. If I could have gotten by with the others I would have but....
    You can charge it and use the optical out too.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  9. Deftone
    I would have thought when bitstreaming bitperfect data that any hardware including clocks are bypassed?

10. jarnopp
    Likewise. I think the only way to determine this would be to use only different sources that are both bit perfect and have optical out. Otherwise, you are subject to electrical noise using USB or coax, even if battery-powered.

11. x RELIC x Contributor
    /OT

Just to respond to this specific question in a very general sense, if not outside the conventional box.... Because it isn't 1's and 0's. They are a figment of human imagination, a representation. At the core of it all digital simply means sampled data and analogue simply means continuous data. We don’t live in the Tron world. The actual storage/transmission is an analogue storage/transmission by nature that represents a certain state making the data easier for us to manipulate. On magnetic hard drives it's +/- magnetic states. With solid state drives it's trapped electrons present/not present. In electrical transmission it's a threshold of Voltage. In optical transmission it's pulses of light. One can think of words written on paper as a digital representation of our thoughts (sampled data). Contemporary society is just used to thinking of these different sampled analogue states (digital) as something different from the analogue world we live in, usually specific to electrical devices. There's lot's that can affect the sampled storage/manipulation/transmission with audio.

Specifically why one source sounds different than another can be a very complex answer depending on hardware/software configurations. Also, we can't discount brain bias... The AK devices are expensive-so-they-sound-better kind of thing. I'm not saying definitively that's the case here but it happens. Unless running a slew of tests to isolate variables I fear we will never really know actually where, or what, the differences we hear are coming from.

That’s my $0.02 regarding 1’s and 0’s.

/OT

Deftone, AndrewH13, flacre and 9 others like this.
  12. Whazzzup
    Ak 380 sounds smooth if that’s a discriptor to me. It’s oversampling I beleive has some effect on this. I could see folks liking that, visa vie chords transperecy

seedubchris likes this.
  13. seedubchris
    It was more of a rhetorical question. I understand why they can sound different but have been attacked in the past for suggesting the possibility.. I have heard rob watts uses his iPhone but my tests have shown the iPhone to be a good deal quieter in output.
    I’m guessing as to why the ak products are so good. Crystek clocks being a random guess. It seems like the other daps I have used leading up to the ak are doing their job as digital streamers but don’t do it nearly as well. All of my other daps have off line capability which would save me hundreds in data charges each month (I stream tidal mostly) but I can’t stoop to use them as I can hear the difference almost immediately.
    I hear ya on expectational bias but the output level is quantifiable. I like to listen LOUD for short periods of time and the other daps just sound anemic compared to the ak. I have to turn things up into the blue which never happens with ak feeds. AK stays in the green for my standard of loudness. That’s the part that makes me wonder what the diff is between one bit stream and another. How are they rendered? It seems like the cheaper ones are forced induction (engine analogy here) and the ak is pure horsepower. Both use different systems to achieve the same output but one is more expensive to build than the other Like they can get it to work but don’t have the guts to take a incoming stream and force it right back out the usb or toslink without dissembling and reassembling the bit stream and while doing so wind up lowering the output by 10 percent. Maybe the parts of the ak that work on this process are just superior and that’s one of the reasons they cost so much? Just the ramblings of a tortured audioslave...

maxh22 and ZappaMan like this.
  14. Whazzzup
    I have found differences in iPads, iMacs, using I tunes or roon and different servers within the antipodes line up. Concluded long ago with massive tt improvement. Bits are not just bits, they matter.

maxh22 and supervisor like this.
  15. JaZZ Contributor
    The same digital signal can't sound louder or quieter depending on the source device if it's bit perfect. So if all devices except for your AK sound quiter, I suspect that there's some processing going on in the AK. Or in all others.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Lgn3 likes this.
First

Back
307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316
318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327
Next

Last