Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 14, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #4,486 of 18,894
No intensity, just passing on what I was told in december.

If you mean the Oz part, you must admit, for them to get theirs basically before the US is weird, they normally get everything a year after the rest of the world. I know asia is a big, probably chords biggest market but, if we just focus on Oz, how many chord users are there compared to america ?

Bluebird didnt just drop the ball, they kicked it out of the park and lost it.

Some us folk still haven’t got their gear and they pre’ordered way back in like august of last year. Things like this can cost chord money, as folk might ask for refunds and buy something else during their 6 month preorder.

Edit.

The mate part, that wasn’t aimed at you, I was just copying Oz language, g’day mate, mate mate mate etc etc. Neighbours tv series has alot to answer for.
I know I came close . It’s not the only kit out there but I think time will tell that it’s as disruptive as the Hugo 2 cuz it’s that good.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,487 of 18,894
I know I came close . It’s not the only kit out there but I think time will tell that it’s as disruptive as the Hugo 2 cuz it’s that good.

Ya, it is worth the wait, I will give you that. Personally I’ve never heard music sound so good, and it is good. Got myself a chromecast audio and finally being able to use my mscaler and tt2 without needing to turn my pc on, is pure magic.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #4,488 of 18,894
Those that ordered first and so on....a queue....this is what happened when h2 was released........goto 2017 pages on h2 thread and you will read an exact rerun of what is occurring here......settles down after about 4-5 months once break even manufacturing vs orders vs sales are reached. There are of course anomalies where folk with no pre-orders phone up and get their gear shipped instantly........making those waiting furious.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #4,489 of 18,894
I am hoping to have mine within 4 weeks. My lcd 4z is back at audeze to be repaired. So I am hoping they both come around the same time. In the meantime I still have my sp1000 and all my other cans and iems to keep me happy. I am interested to see how the sp1000 works as a transport with the TT2. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #4,490 of 18,894
Nice!
Ordered a black one 5 min ago.
Have the Mojo Poly but although I loved the sound, the complete package wasnt working for me. For sale when the TT2’s arrives.
I’m a streamer guy so looking for a nice streamer bridge, Aurender looks nice and the app seems fine.
Any experience with these or better alternatives?
I have run Aurender’s for some years now, as an overall package I don’t think they can be beaten. Currently working with Dave/HMS combo, absolutely stunning.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #4,492 of 18,894
Hi guys,

I am considering upgrading my Hugo 2 to TT2 and I am going to audition it tomorrow morning to make up my mind. My current set-up is Audirvana in Macbook feeding Hugo 2 via toslink, Hugo 2 -> Sennheiser HDV820 amp via RCA -> balanced cable to HD800/HD800S. This combo works very well for me as the Sennheiser amp plus a bit of EQ really fixed my issues with the sound I was getting straight from Hugo 2 into my headphones (it now has real presence, energy and body - for lack of better terms, I’m new to this haha). I know that the HDV820 was tuned specifically to the HD800/800S/820 and it works a treat as an amp. Hugo 2 just improves the sound as a DAC compared to the one onboard the Sennheiser.

I have read quite a bit of contradicting information on whether balanced is/isn’t better (whether used as interconnects between a DAC and an amp and also on a headphone cable - XLR vs SE) and from my experience on the Sennheiser, the balanced headphone connection is a massive improvement over the SE. I’ve read Rob Watts says it’s just down to power at the terminal so I am looking forward to trying out the HD800/HD800s attached directly to TT2 via SE, possible on high gain. I know that Sennheiser’s specific tuning also plays a role but I am curious about the soundstage compared to SE connection on the HDV820. It will also be interesting to see whether there will be any difference in sound when the amp is connected to the TT2 via XLR vs RCA. So many things to try and play with! :)

I spent a few days reading this thread (or scrolling through, sometimes it does go a bit off topic lol) and found quite a bit of useful information! I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer before I audition TT2 tomorrow:

1. @tonyl59 - did you ever get an answer on the issue with different HP output that was dependent on whether you inserted your headphones into TT2 in AMP mode vs DAC mode? Is that how it should work or did you indeed have a faulty unit?

2. When used as DAC connected to an amp, what are the technical differences between H2 and TT2 and what is identical? I’ve read various pieces of information but I couldn’t always distinguish what impacts the TT2’s performance as a DAC only as it’s likely I will continue to have the amp involved when using it with my HD800/HD800S so I will be assessing whether it’s worth investing in when used a a DAC only (though I will probably get a pair of good speakers somewhere down the line to expand on its uses!). If anyone could either point me to a good existing summary or take the time to write one I would be immensely grateful. I know the important thing is how it actually sounds in the end but as a bit of a geek, I like to know how it all works in the background!

3. Rob Watts explained that the TT2 sounds darker than Hugo 2 - can anyone explain in layman’s terms what that means? Is that warmer?

Anyway, thanks for any input in advance. If you want to share any further tips/information I should be aware of ahead of the demo tomorrow that would be awesome.

Have a great day, y’all :)

Rosta

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #4,493 of 18,894
just received these cables from Amazon to run from TT2 in AMP mode directly to my KEF R7s (single ended): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXZWNXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was not getting good results trying to use the TT2 balanced XLR outputs with an adapter to my normal speaker cables, there was distortion...

these are working amazing however! so i recommend them to anyone who wants to try running directly to speakers. this is just experimenting because i still need my integrated amp hooked up to the speakers for my vinyl listening.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #4,495 of 18,894
2. When used as DAC connected to an amp, what are the technical differences between H2 and TT2 and what is identical? I’ve read various pieces of information but I couldn’t always distinguish what impacts the TT2’s performance as a DAC only as it’s likely I will continue to have the amp involved when using it with my HD800/HD800S so I will be assessing whether it’s worth investing in when used a a DAC only (though I will probably get a pair of good speakers somewhere down the line to expand on its uses!). If anyone could either point me to a good existing summary or take the time to write one I would be immensely grateful. I know the important thing is how it actually sounds in the end but as a bit of a geek, I like to know how it all works in the background!

'As a DAC' is a bit confusing with Rob's designs compared to other conventional gear. Rob's designs don't/can't bypass the single analogue output stage so you are always hearing the full Chord device with nothing bypassed. Adding another amp really won't technically improve the sound measurement wise (especially compared with the HDV820's specs), however, it may synergize with the headphone for one's tastes. The HDV820 is, as you say, specifically tuned for the HD800/S and with its high output impedance likely won't play nice with some other headphones.

Also, the TT2 has far and away more than enough power for the HD800/S in SE, more than the HDV820. Balanced from the TT2 is waaaaaay overkill for the HD800/S and because of the extra components it technically isn't as transparent as the SE output (don't believe the hype that balanced is better for all gear). Of course you're welcome use adapters to try balanced out and let us know if you hear a difference, but make sure to volume match accurately or the comparison won't mean anything.

As for comparisons, users have reported the TT2 has more 'oomph' and a 'better' sound than the Hugo2.

For technical comparisons you can read Rob's presentation posts on each device. The TT2 presentation has some comments comparing it to the Hugo2:

Hugo2 - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-112#post-13342285

TT2 - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.879425/page-10#post-14236842

3. Rob Watts explained that the TT2 sounds darker than Hugo 2 - can anyone explain in layman’s terms what that means? Is that warmer?

Yes, typically the two terms can be interchangeable.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #4,496 of 18,894
just received these cables from Amazon to run from TT2 in AMP mode directly to my KEF R7s (single ended): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXZWNXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was not getting good results trying to use the TT2 balanced XLR outputs with an adapter to my normal speaker cables, there was distortion...

these are working amazing however! so i recommend them to anyone who wants to try running directly to speakers. this is just experimenting because i still need my integrated amp hooked up to the speakers for my vinyl listening.
Great find, usually such cables does not exist. Last time when I wanted to buy and have one made for me, not many places wanted to do it.

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #4,497 of 18,894
Sorry for this mistake - was trying to quote the part relating to amp and dac and quoted the whole thing twice!
As far as I understand if headphones are inserted the dac and amp functions don't work - they only work if there are no headphones connected.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #4,500 of 18,894
Sorry for this mistake - was trying to quote the part relating to amp and dac and quoted the whole thing twice!
As far as I understand if headphones are inserted the dac and amp functions don't work - they only work if there are no headphones connected.

No need to apologise for messing up a post, I’ve done it hundreds of times :)

You are correct, when you plug in headphones you are restricted to headphone mode, unplug them and you can then use amp or dac mode, dac mode disables the volume control ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back