Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #3,904 of 18,887
anyone in the US getting any positive news from their Chord dealers regarding TT2 deliveries?

Nope, I need to update my signature as well.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #3,905 of 18,887
You soon to be tt2 owners are gunna schiit, thats how good the combo is.

You will soon forget about deadbirds atrocious handling of chords us gear, atrocious and if I was chord, I would be seriously thinking about having two distributors from now on, east and west coast.

Pennslyvania, ohio and indiana don’t need one as they dont use electricity, they just use horse and buggies and eat taters.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #3,908 of 18,887
For those who have there TT2 stacked on top of M Scaler do you find the TT2 gets hot on top more so to the right side of the unit?

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #3,909 of 18,887
For those who have there TT2 stacked on top of M Scaler do you find the TT2 gets hot on top more so to the right side of the unit?

Yes it gets hot.

I have measured the temps. Mscaler on it’s own settles at 40 - 42oC and TT2 on top is 38-40oC.

I was going to post photo’s of it in another post, but I didn’t and forgot about it.

Having them both at this temp is kinda worrying as, if the cases are showing 40oC, the actual cpu/die will be atleast 60oC + I would think, maybe even upto 80oC

The mscaler in my opinion is not a device that will have a long lifespan, the heat will kill this thing within 5 years if used constantly.

I don’t know whats on the underside of the aluminium chunk inside the mscaler, but, if there is no copper block or copper heatpipe’s drawing the heat away from the cpu/die quick enough, heat will be the biggest killer of mscalers.

Who knows, maybe they will be ok ?

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #3,910 of 18,887
Stacked they were designed to run a bit cooler than a dave. I would run them separately myself even if thermally they are OK stacked.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #3,911 of 18,887
Yes it gets hot.

I have measured the temps. Mscaler on it’s own settles at 40 - 42oC and TT2 on top is 38-40oC.

I was going to post photo’s of it in another post, but I didn’t and forgot about it.

Having them both at this temp is kinda worrying as, if the cases are showing 40oC, the actual cpu/die will be atleast 60oC + I would think, maybe even upto 80oC

The mscaler in my opinion is not a device that will have a long lifespan, the heat will kill this thing within 5 years if used constantly.

I don’t know whats on the underside of the aluminium chunk inside the mscaler, but, if there is no copper block or copper heatpipe’s drawing the heat away from the cpu/die quick enough, heat will be the biggest killer of mscalers.

Who knows, maybe they will be ok ?

The M scaler gets no where near anything like a die temperature that would possibly affect reliability. And I know for sure, as the FPGA has it's own internal ADC with a temperature sensor and I can track the actual die temperature and it's a few degrees greater than the chassis temperature measured in the middle on the bottom. The reason for this is the die is passivated silicon with the die exposed:

XC7A200T-3FBG484E.jpg

Look at the top picture, you can see the actual silicon die itself. This is clamped with some thermal paste directly onto the bottom of the chassis; the thermal resistance of the die is 0.08 deg C per W; the power is 12W, so die to chassis is only 1 deg C difference. In practice the thermal interface compound reduces this a bit, but my worst case measurements indicated only 5 deg C difference from FPGA die temp (measured by the on chip sensor) to infra red measured chassis temp. So in a stacked situation, the die is only 45 deg C. Now the die is rated at 125 deg C - continuous operation - which is actually low. Most silicon is 150 deg C, some FETs are rated at 175 deg C. Now I know electron migration (a long term source of failure) is elevated at higher temperatures, but there is no way that running silicon at 45 deg C is going to significantly degrade or affect lifetime.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #3,912 of 18,887
I was casually looking through eBay and saw that there s a black TT2 for sale, a customer return. No box and collection only. At £3199. With the relatively small number of TT2s around so far it’s difficult not to wonder who it might have previously belonged to

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #3,913 of 18,887
I was casually looking through eBay and saw that there s a black TT2 for sale, a customer return. No box and collection only. At £3199. With the relatively small number of TT2s around so far it’s difficult not to wonder who it might have previously belonged to
Sounds very suspicious and best stayed away from. Is it a post from an authorised Chord dealer? I cannot easily imagine a legitimate sale from an authorised dealer leading to a legitimate return that did not include a box. Also consider tne documentation Chord would require to extend warranty cover to you.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #3,915 of 18,887
Sounds very suspicious and best stayed away from. Is it a post from an authorised Chord dealer? I cannot easily imagine a legitimate sale from an authorised dealer leading to a legitimate return that did not include a box. Also consider tne documentation Chord would require to extend warranty cover to you.

The eBay seller is Nintronics who are an authorised Chord dealer. Most of us keep boxes but not everyone has the space to do that and so the owner may have simply got rid of the box.

I see no reason to avoid this sale. Nintronics are one of the good guys and it is where Rob Watts gave his presentation just before Christmas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back