Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #16,172 of 18,348
Aug 9, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #16,173 of 18,348
Hideous! And close to unusable! You could get a job at Chord! :wink:

The coloured buttons are the worst design choice in any product I can think of. They don't indicate what they mean, which is indefensible. In 2022 going forward what controls on a product do you really need? Why can't you control the whole thing through an app and/or through dedicated software like Roon? And if the new M Scaler is to include equaliser features like the Mojo2 why would anyone in their right mind want to fiddle with coloured marbles instead of control it through an app? In which, for example, you might have dedicated headphone presets such as Roon provide for Audeze?

And why design a product that matches a CD player that cannot be bought?

Time too to have a less expensive variant of the DAVE for use with the current and future M Scaler. Wouldn't need any inputs, nor most of the controls, wouldn't need the upscaling circuitry, could get rid of the ghastly pixelated display, introduce decent switching between headphones and speakers, add a parallel output for a sub-woofer, and design an interface that worked rather than one that needed £1400 of wire to work optimally.

All I got, doesn't deserve anything else really.

ill-bet-youre.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #16,175 of 18,348
You can, using choral stand.
True ..but what would i show in a porthole?
I cant just take the button pcb and put it behind.. Actually one dont need buttons just leave it on 1M

I could also place Dave and HMS internals into one housing

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #16,176 of 18,348
True ..but what would i show in a porthole?
I cant just take the button pcb and put it behind.. Actually one dont need buttons just leave it on 1M

I could also place Dave and HMS internals into one housing
Same information that is shown on the Dave. Selected input, incoming rate, outgoing rate (upsampling rate)

Also there is possibility that new xScaler will have EQ like mojo2. So there could be some simple graphical interface for PEQ - and screen control would be definitely more user friendly than using colour buttons as it's done niw with mojo2.
Just theorizing.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #16,177 of 18,348
Hideous! And close to unusable!
Yea i know .. nothing changes on the usabillity
I only try to match the case..
And make room for optical 768k link addon

Those boxes stacked look even worse
20220314_204354.jpg

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #16,178 of 18,348
Same information that is shown on the Dave. Selected input, incoming rate, outgoing rate (upsampling rate)

Also there is possibility that new xScaler will have EQ like mojo2. So there could be some simple graphical interface for PEQ - and screen control would be definitely more user friendly than using colour buttons as it's done niw with mojo2.
Just theorizing.
Another option is to grab those PCB's out ..stuff them in a bag onder the couch with a RaspberryPi linked to the i/o's and write a mobile app to control it.

Or get a ChiFi product packed with options😄

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #16,179 of 18,348

Just theorizing.
Why not just show it all on an app and have almost no controls on the product? I have a cheap Sonos Roam portable radio/network player. €180. It has almost no controls on it apart from volume up down and pause, for which it uses internationally recognised symbols. My Mrs can use it. Everything else like eq, loudness, room adjustment, source, music selection is controlled from a phone or tablet app which everyone in my household can use on whatever device they have to hand. And voice control, but that’s probably too much to hope for.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #16,180 of 18,348
Why not just show it all on an app and have almost no controls on the product? I have a cheap Sonos Roam portable radio/network player. €180. It has almost no controls on it apart from volume up down and pause, for which it uses internationally recognised symbols. My Mrs can use it. Everything else like eq, loudness, room adjustment, source, music selection is controlled from a phone or tablet app which everyone in my household can use on whatever device they have to hand. And voice control, but that’s probably too much to hope for.
Actually i bought this stuff for its sound reproduction.. i only touch the volume dial.. HMS is auto input sensing ..no button pressing needed.
I really dont care for loads of functionalities on the DAC itself.

I hooked iriver MC or Foobar running from my dedicated PC on it which i control with my phone.. eyes closed and listen..

No hassle ..and yes my wife uses it too..

And sorry .. i do like the aesthetics..

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #16,181 of 18,348
I love the coloured orbs and see the setup at a glance from anywhere in the room. Anyone will be familiar with the colours in a couple days. Has anyone tried adjusting an RME dac? Yikes!

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #16,182 of 18,348
Playing dcs flight sim lately, thinking, maybe this is where the coloured balls come in. As john franks says he worked on aircraft. When you want some information from the plane, symbology is better than text I think. The colored balls are a symbology that once you know what they are, are providing more instant information in a minimal manner.

Just my musings.

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #16,183 of 18,348
+1 I love the colored orbs. That is a matter of personal taste, though. The function and colors becomes second nature very fast. I learned everything i needed to know in days. I like alternative designs. I have TT2 in my office and love it. My new dac in my main rig has nixie tubes for a display. I think it is rad. Couldn’t be happier with weird, cool aesthetics!

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #16,184 of 18,348
I love the lights, although annoying that I get a high pitched noise unless I dim on TT2, not so keen on the chrome buttons on the black cases but all in all its a thumbs up from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back