Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #16,081 of 18,395
People spend big bucks on high-end speaker cables too but here just like in that scenario, it's not a requirement to do so, some just prefer too.
But …
Amplifiers and speakers are typically made by different manufacturers and designers, so you can’t fairly expect either to specify the optimum interface. Whereas the MScaler and DAVE are made and designed by the same person/company so some people, including me, would reasonably expect an ideal interface to be specified and provided.

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #16,084 of 18,395
Not to worry, Chord will be happy to sell you a new $15k upscaler with the correct BNC connectors for your Dave - it will definitely sound better :smirk:

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #16,086 of 18,395
If your post is directed at me, I should point out that I was a very early owner of an MScaler and I still have it.
It is aimed at everyone and nobody.

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #16,087 of 18,395
Not to worry, Chord will be happy to sell you a new $15k upscaler with the correct BNC connectors for your Dave - it will definitely sound better :smirk:
My connectors are fine. I've already written it, the game is good when it's short. And think about your purchases ....

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #16,088 of 18,395
Can you please remind us of what your system is. It is not listed in your profile.

(just found the list one tab to the right in you profile)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #16,089 of 18,395
Can you please remind us of what your system is. It is not listed in your profile.
everything I own/owned is listed from the beginning of time.

Please also allow other members to view your profile.

Edit: looks like you found the profile. I hope you are satisfied with my pile of midfi stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #16,090 of 18,395
Me too on setting limits, mine is around 10%.
Me too, but I got around it by adding the cost of the two devices being connected :ksc75smile:

That puts my Opto-DX at a mere 3.7%!

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #16,091 of 18,395
Question for @Rob Watts...

When running the M Scaler in dual-bnc mode, what kind of signal is going through each cable? Is it a mono digital signal, one for each channel?

Reason I ask is that my two-channel system is a Devialet Expert 1000 Pro Dual, which is actually just two Expert 250 Pro units set up in a Controller/Companion configuration—like dual monoblocks, but each with a DAC with a 24-bit/192 kHz SPDIF digital input. Normally, the controller unit gets the digital feed and is connected to the companion by a single SPDIF cable.

I'm guessing this is a completely crazy idea, but I was wondering if the M Scaler can present a 192kHz mono channel signal on each BNC?

thanks,
muski

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #16,092 of 18,395

When running the M Scaler in dual-bnc mode, what kind of signal is going through each cable? Is it a mono digital signal, one for each channel?

Reason I ask is that my two-channel system is a Devialet Expert 1000 Pro Dual, which is actually just two Expert 250 Pro units set up in a Controller/Companion configuration—like dual monoblocks, but each with a DAC with a 24-bit/192 kHz SPDIF digital input. Normally, the controller unit gets the digital feed and is connected to the companion by a single SPDIF cable.

I'm guessing this is a completely crazy idea, but I was wondering if the M Scaler can present a 192kHz mono channel signal on each BNC?

thanks,
muski
I do not believe this is possible.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #16,093 of 18,395

thanks,
muski
The dual bnc each carry a 384k mono signal, Left and Right. You can swap your stereo channels by swapping the BNC 1 and 2 leads.

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #16,095 of 18,395
The dual bnc each carry a 384k mono signal, Left and Right. You can swap your stereo channels by swapping the BNC 1 and 2 leads.
TT2 for example detects which chanel is which and swaps it automatically.
Dave software has no flag recognition and indeed channels mixing can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back