Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #14,927 of 18,412
Now add the MScaler to the Dave and be prepared to be Piroutette’d in to the stratosphere….. I think you will enjoy this immensely if you liked the mTT2 pairing.
That’s tempting fate too far for me (sadly) - I’m already over budget with the HMS/TT2 combo… but I’m pleased to find a solution that is so musical and which will give all my 1980’s-era CDs a new lease of life :)

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #14,928 of 18,412
It is not a replacement to the Hugo M scaler, maybe it will use the other BNC outputs...
I think the other BNCs are for Rob’s much rumoured digital power amp - which has had an incredibly-long gestation period. TT2 was a bit of a preview for this…

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #14,929 of 18,412
That’s tempting fate too far for me (sadly) - I’m already over budget with the HMS/TT2 combo… but I’m pleased to find a solution that is so musical and which will give all my 1980’s-era CDs a new lease of life :)
Are you not that bit tempted to 'sneak a peek' and connect it up for a ten minute listen? Go on... you know you want to... 😏

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #14,930 of 18,412
@mentalmal1 I've used batteries for m scaler and TT2. Not that particular one, but as long as it has a DC out 15v or lower, you can try it.
Please do check the actual output voltage from batteries before connecting. I had one which claimed that voltage but was actually nearly 2V over voltage.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #14,931 of 18,412
This is a really great live recording, you can’t hear the audience and it’s all the band members / exceptional recording quality

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #14,932 of 18,412
Please do check the actual output voltage from batteries before connecting. I had one which claimed that voltage but was actually nearly 2V over voltage.
And tape over the 20v output port to prevent accidental insertion (lol this battery has 12 and 20v ports)

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #14,934 of 18,412
For a few days now I have been powering both the M Scaler and the Lumin streamer with a lithium battery.

I have to say that there is indeed a smoother sound. That slight brightness on the high frequencies has disappeared.

I bought a 35000mAh lithium battery. Is a real power, weighs about 2 kg.

Then inserted in an electronic door box and fixed behind the back panel. When the job is finished, you no longer see anything.

When I have to recharge it, I insert the connector that comes out of the box.

Nice!
I was thinking doing the same with Qutest/HMS in past.. run on battery which charges when switched off.

How long does it run on one charge cylce?

Then to know HMS inside uses a smps to make 5v to feed the chips.. but anyway its disconnected from mains.

And your Dave is still on the net?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #14,935 of 18,412
Nice!
I was thinking doing the same with Qutest/HMS in past.. run on battery which charges when switched off.

Then to know HMS inside uses a smps to make 5v to feed the chips.. but anyway its disconnected from mains.

These k1 batteries last a long time on 12v. I use regulators so I can switch them off, and then I can charge them up every few days.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #14,936 of 18,412
Nice!

Since I connected it three days ago it hasn't downloaded yet. Keep in mind that this battery has an effective 35000 mAh.

It weighs 2kg. only the battery pack.

The 50000mAh power banks found for sale online weigh half as much. Amperage is not real ..

For now I have left the connector that attaches / detaches manually.

But I think I'll put a circuit with two timed relays that will act as a switch, so that it will automatically load a few hours during the night every 4-5 days
and optimize the battery life.

DAVE, on the other hand, is normally connected to the electrical socket, with its stock cable.

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #14,937 of 18,412
Are you not that bit tempted to 'sneak a peek' and connect it up for a ten minute listen? Go on... you know you want to...
“Thou shalt not taste of the forbidden fruit” :wink:

Feb 19, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #14,938 of 18,412
Since I connected it three days ago it hasn't downloaded yet. Keep in mind that this battery has an effective 35000 mAh.

It weighs 2kg. only the battery pack.

The 50000mAh power banks found for sale online weigh half as much. Amperage is not real ..

For now I have left the connector that attaches / detaches manually.

But I think I'll put a circuit with two timed relays that will act as a switch, so that it will automatically load a few hours during the night every 4-5 days
and optimize the battery life.

DAVE, on the other hand, is normally connected to the electrical socket, with its stock cable.

Lol checkout this guy.. who went deep into the rabbithole creating a custom LPS for Dave..

1a0cc338ee60fcc781872bed282317722d77e596.jpeg.jpg

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-sound-application-pgi-tt-7-part-1-of-2-r973/

It seems Dave uses 3 voltages inside.. i guess 5v for fpga and logic and + and - 12v for analog section..

I wouldnt go this far but i do wonder if it makes any difference running Dave on battery 😄

Ps: taking its SMPS out and place it in a separate box with output wires to Dave could also shield it extra from direct RF perhaps..

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #14,939 of 18,412
Using the battery for both the source (streamer) and the MScaler, you have solved all the problems of being able to introduce interference inside the dac.

You can already consider yourself okay.

Then everyone believes and does what he wants.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #14,940 of 18,412
Using the battery for both the source (streamer) and the MScaler, you have solved all the problems of being able to introduce interference inside the dac.

You can already consider yourself okay.

Then everyone believes and does what he wants.
I think it’s very interesting, the three camps. The bystanders, the pro-linear/power-supply advocates. The supplied power supply advocates.
Is there truth or only opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back