Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 27, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #12,872 of 18,414
THIS.

Will report back once I have used another M Scaler.

I highly doubt a used unit will reveal something unheard in a new, but I will report back....
As you can probably tell, we have all become M-Scaler Zombies and will be coming for you in the middle of the night...but, seriously, if it isn’t working for you don’t feel compelled to keep testing it. I did see on the DAVE thread that physically separating them (DAVE and M-Scaler) by a few feet could make a difference, but beyond that I can’t think of anything else and I’m skeptical about that myself. Now, just enjoy that DAVE!

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #12,873 of 18,414
I did a brief write up about my initial impressions...check out post #12,736 on this thread:)

I've read them all..just meant has anything changed since your last post :smile:

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #12,874 of 18,414
OK. The M Scaler is going back. It robs from the DAVE in my set up. I'm not crazy. After hours of listening, it is SO clear that the M Scaler upscales the sound in a plastic way for me. Susvara hears it and doesn't let it get away with it. I don't know.

If I were running TT2 and powering Susvara with internal amp, maybe that would be fine with M Scaler. But with my setup, the M Scaler robs the sound when paired with DAVE and even the TT2.

Sinnerman is the revealing track that makes all the truth bold and known for me. Nina's vocals. The harsh claps. The drums. The bass. The piano. The vocals are most noticeably sacrificed. It doesn't hit and pierce like it should. M Scaler veils it. Makes the track sound like it is wrapped in plastic wrap.

DAVE KILLS IT. Solo. And makes the track shine in a way I've never heard before.

It actually makes all tracks shine, and the negative effects of the M Scaler aren't always heard, and there are benefits for sure on low res tracks. But those are marginal most of the time. I don't think this is worth it and will be selling one if anyone wants to buy.
Before you ditch the MScaler try listening to some standard 16/44 recordings through the MScaler of some favourites and then compare them to the “Hi Res” versions without the MScaler ... that way you can hear the Mscalers method of upscaling vs whatever was used to make the Hi Res versions ...

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #12,875 of 18,414
Well, crap. For the last several hours, I have been listening with a used M Scaler that I purchased right after I got a new one. I know they go fast used, so I figured I wouldn't be able to get one and bought new, which is the one I had been using. My used unit showed up yesterday.

And, yeah, this is something else. The used unit I received is, without question, taking the DAVE up several notches on ALL tracks. The plastic sound of the new unit is removed. Bass is tighter and deeper, the soundstage sounds more open. The whole presentation is, without a doubt, more holographic and sounds absolutely incredible. I can now hear what the fuss and positive reviews are about.

But I'm perplexed. Do these M Scalers need time to burn in? Did the new unit just need some time to sound better? Or was it just defective?

Only difference is that I am using a used versus new unit and upgraded BNC cables of 1m instead of .5m. It is the same cable brand I was using before, but the used set came with slightly longer cables. Would a longer BNC cable make an improvement in sound? Doesn't make sense, but perhaps?

I have no idea. But count me now as an M Scaler proponent. The combination with DAVE is on another level. Completely wowed. Confused, but wowed. :L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #12,876 of 18,414
Well, crap. For the last several hours, I have been listening with a used M Scaler that I purchased right after I got a new one. I know they go fast used, so I figured I wouldn't be able to get one and bought new, which is the one I had been using. My used unit showed up yesterday.

And, yeah, this is something else. The used unit I received is, without question, taking the DAVE up several notches on ALL tracks. The plastic sound of the new unit is removed. Bass is tighter and deeper, the soundstage sounds more open. The whole presentation is, without a doubt, more holographic and sounds absolutely incredible. I can now hear what the fuss and positive reviews are about.

But I'm perplexed. Do these M Scalers need time to burn in? Did the new unit just need some time to sound better? Or was it just defective?

Only difference is that I am using a used versus new unit and upgraded BNC cables of 1m instead of .5m. It is the same cable brand I was using before, but the used set came with slightly longer cables. Would a longer BNC cable make an improvement in sound? Doesn't make sense, but perhaps?

I have no idea. But count me now as an M Scaler proponent. The combination with DAVE is on another level. Completely wowed. Confused, but wowed. :L3000: :L3000: :L3000:
Finally...you seem to be hearing what most people who hear the M Scaler are hearing. I sincerely wonder if the new unit was defective somehow the way you were describing it. I have no doubt that M Scaler + Dave is god mode. I just wish you still had the TT2 that you could hook to the used M Scaler to see how it compares to the Dave solo. That is the comparison I am most interested in. Enjoy that new DAVE...glad you finally have an M Scaler that works properly:)

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #12,877 of 18,414
Finally...you seem to be hearing what most people who hear the M Scaler are hearing. I sincerely wonder if the new unit was defective somehow the way you were describing it. I have no doubt that M Scaler + Dave is god mode. I just wish you still had the TT2 that you could hook to the used M Scaler to see how it compares to the Dave solo. That is the comparison I am most interested in. Enjoy that new DAVE...glad you finally have an M Scaler that works properly:)
Yea, this is simply INSANE sound quality. Blown away.

I still have the TT2 and haven't returned it yet. I will pair it with this new M Scaler and report back. If not tonight, then tomorrow :relaxed:

I, too, am curious of TT2/M Scaler combo versus solo DAVE, now I have an M Scaler that doesn't sound like it is wrapping the music in saranwrap. :metal::metal::metal:

I'm getting insane goosebumps listening to The Joshua Tree. Damn, this is good haha.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #12,878 of 18,414
Yea, this is simply INSANE sound quality. Blown away.

I still have the TT2 and haven't returned it yet. I will pair it with this new M Scaler and report back. If not tonight, then tomorrow :relaxed:

I, too, am curious of TT2/M Scaler combo versus solo DAVE, now I have an M Scaler that doesn't sound like it is wrapping the music in saranwrap. :metal::metal::metal:
If you swap power supplies between the new and used, does anything change?

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #12,879 of 18,414
repeat

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #12,880 of 18,414
If you swap power supplies between the new and used, does anything change?
It sure does! Bingo!

Swapping new unit's power supply into the used M Scaler gives the weird sound qualities again. So it must be a faulty power supply with the new unit. Nice.

You all are the best. Thanks for putting up with my rants over the M Scaler the last several days. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #12,881 of 18,414
Cable length can make a difference, the dual BNC connections still use the SPDiF data format so anything over 1 metre should be optimal,
I’d still try listening to the MScaler with 16/44 to compare it with Hires Tracks, thats Where it works it’s magic the best ..
I went with the MScaler for my CD collection, it then gave me a “Hires” version for less than $1 per CD which is a bargain ... 🙂

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #12,883 of 18,414

That's awesome you tried another mscaler :L3000:

Happy it worked out for you

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #12,884 of 18,414
Bit of a worry if it proves to be the power supply of a brand new unit ... do they need running in ??
hopefully not the reason some swear by third party PSU’s ... 😳
I know, right? It was definitely the culprit, though. Used PSU on new M Scaler sounds fine. New PSU on used M Scaler sounds awful. New PSU on new M Scaler sounds awful, which is why I was so hard on it the last several days. I figured there just had to be something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back