Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #12,811 of 18,414
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this with the DAVE. It's supposed to be a great combination.
griff500, I got home from work this morning so jealous of Redflamingolingo’s amp and Susvara’s, not to mention that he’s waiting on a DAVE, that I could barely glance at my poor humble little hp system. 😂 That’s it! Now I’ve gotta upgrade my amp to a Woo WA33 and buy those AB 1266 Phi TC’s for sure. My family can live in a double wide refrigerator box for all I care.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #12,812 of 18,414
griff500, I got home from work this morning so jealous of Redflamingolingo’s amp and Susvara’s, not to mention that he’s waiting on a DAVE, that I could barely glance at my poor humble little hp system. 😂 That’s it! Now I’ve gotta upgrade my amp to a Woo WA33 and buy those AB 1266 Phi TC’s for sure. My family can live in a double wide refrigerator box for all I care.
Can't you sell them?

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #12,813 of 18,414
Can't you sell them?
griff500, you mean sell my family? 😀 My wife is well past being able to saddle and she’s now retired to pasture. As for my 5yr old I believe they have laws against such practices.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #12,814 of 18,414
griff500, you mean sell my family? 😀 My wife is well past being able to saddle and she’s now retired to pasture. As for my 5yr old I believe they have laws against such practices.
It can't be illegal everywhere?!? Oh well, it was worth a try.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #12,815 of 18,414

Do it!!!!! Go go go 😀😃🙂

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #12,816 of 18,414
I ain’t showing that post to my better half! BTW my Jitterbug has been returned and is dancing it’s way back to Amazon...epic fail, not recommended!!! I’m sure all that new gear will fit in the big cardboard box you’ll be living in under a busy highway overpass...hope you get noise cancelling headphones!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #12,817 of 18,414
I ain’t showing that post to my better half! BTW my Jitterbug has been returned and is dancing it’s way back to Amazon...epic fail, not recommended!!! I’m sure all that new gear will fit in the big cardboard box you’ll be living in under a busy highway overpass...hope you get noise cancelling headphones!
Gadget67, you’ll come and visit me when I’m homeless and stinky won’t you? Oh BTW, I’m keeping the Jitterbug just in case I’ve got to go back to using my Peachtree DAC•ITx, a Lenovo laptop, and some god awful Schiit audio gear. 😢

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #12,818 of 18,414
Gadget67, you’ll come and visit me when I’m homeless and stinky won’t you? Oh BTW, I’m keeping the Jitterbug just in case I’ve got to go back to using my Peachtree DAC•ITx, a Lenovo laptop, and some god awful Schiit audio gear. 😢
Here you go...
CEB7B45D-F824-4C10-A0CF-2EE77A1552A5.jpeg

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #12,819 of 18,414
Interesting observation I thought I'd share. I had to send my TT2 in for service, so I'm temporarily using my backup system, a modest SMSL SP200/M200 stack. With my high-res files, I was quite impressed at how good it sounded. But when I listen to standard format or lossy files, oh boy, the mScaler is sorely missed! I listen to a lot of Radio Paradise and they have a lossless flac streaming option that sounds pretty great, however through the mScaler it is simply top notch. With this SMSL stack, I am able to easily spot the difference between my high res tracks and the streaming radio. I might try S/PDIF out from the mscaler into the m200, even though I'd be limited to 192k upscaling from mscaler.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #12,820 of 18,414
Interesting observation I thought I'd share. I had to send my TT2 in for service, so I'm temporarily using my backup system, a modest SMSL SP200/M200 stack. With my high-res files, I was quite impressed at how good it sounded. But when I listen to standard format or lossy files, oh boy, the mScaler is sorely missed! I listen to a lot of Radio Paradise and they have a lossless flac streaming option that sounds pretty great, however through the mScaler it is simply top notch. With this SMSL stack, I am able to easily spot the difference between my high res tracks and the streaming radio. I might try S/PDIF out from the mscaler into the m200, even though I'd be limited to 192k upscaling from mscaler.

These are definitely my experiences.

I feel M Scaler shows great differences in low low res files and essentially makes them high res.

High res files don't sound all that improved. Very subtle differences.

About to try out the DAVE for the first time. Curious to hear the pairing with and without M Scaler.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #12,821 of 18,414
So......

Jesus. Christ. I have been listening to the DAVE for the last hour. This is the "closest" to music I have ever been outside of a live concert. I mean I might as well have been there.

The detail retrieval is truly on another level. It is stunning. The difference between a TT2 is immediately noticeable.

The highs are higher, the lows lower, the mids pierce but without digitized sheen. Vocals are taken to another level. Instrument separation and detail sounds mind-blowing.

I feel this DAVE is pushing my Susvara headphones beyond where I thought they could ever go. To the brink and beyond into somewhere totally new.

I'm about to throw the M Scaler at it to see if it improves things, but I really just cannot see how it could do that.

I just listened to Sinnerman by Nina Simone, a track I have literally heard over a hundred times.

My jaw is on the floor. The detail retrieval and isolation of the instruments, Nina's voice, the texture of the sound, the power of it, the intimacy.

I'm just in awe. I didn't expect this massive a jump from TT2. I'm REALLY curious what the M Scaler will do.

Here we go.......

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #12,822 of 18,414
So......

Jesus. Christ. I have been listening to the DAVE for the last hour. This is the "closest" to music I have ever been outside of a live concert. I mean I might as well have been there.

The detail retrieval is truly on another level. It is stunning. The difference between a TT2 is immediately noticeable.

I'm about to throw the M Scaler at it to see if it improves things, but I really just cannot see how it could do that.

I just listened to Sinnerman by Nina Simone, a track I have literally heard over a hundred times.

My jaw is on the floor. The detail retrieval and isolation of the instruments, Nina's voice, the texture of the sound, the power of it, the intimacy.

I'm just in awe. I didn't expect this massive a jump from TT2. I'm REALLY curious what the M Scaler will do.

Here we go.......
Wish you were here. As in my house, with that DAVE.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #12,823 of 18,414
So......

Here we go.......
I occasionally exchange private messages with a member in Romania who purchased a DAVE after owning “lesser” DAC’s. You sound just like him! He also raved about using an optical cable in conjunction with the M-Scaler and mocked me ENDLESSLY for buying the TT2 instead of the DAVE. So, now you need the WAVE BNC cables, power management, new power cables, and a Focal Utopia, and...did I mention it never ends? Seriously, congratulations!

EDIT: listening to sinnerman right now from her Pastel Blues album...had to, after you mentioned it...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #12,824 of 18,414
So......

The highs are higher, the lows lower, the mids pierce but without digitized sheen. Vocals are taken to another level. Instrument separation and detail sounds mind-blowing.

I feel this DAVE is pushing my Susvara headphones beyond where I thought they could ever go. To the brink and beyond into somewhere totally new.

Here we go.......
I am intrigued by your initial impressions...what amp are you using with the Dave? Have you had a chance to try the internal headphone amp on the Dave with a headphone that is a bit easier to drive? I am also considering the Dave but just wish it had the internal amp from the TT2. I also wish I didn't have the nagging feeling that the Dave is going to be the next product updated (to the Dave 2) because it has been on the market the longest of the current offerings. Keep posting impressions...love hearing about it!

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #12,825 of 18,414
I occasionally exchange private messages with a member in Romania who purchased a DAVE after owning “lesser” DAC’s. You sound just like him! He also raved about using an optical cable in conjunction with the M-Scaler and mocked me ENDLESSLY for buying the TT2 instead of the DAVE. So, now you need the WAVE BNC cables, power management, new power cables, and a Focal Utopia, and...did I mention it never ends? Seriously, congratulations!

It's wild!!! Best I can describe is how sounds exist in the space of the headphones. Especially instruments and layering and detail retrieval. It is astonishing.

I do have the upgraded BNC cables for the M Scaler. Going to give it a whirl now pairing M Scaler with DAVE.

I will only ever own one pair of headphones. I couldn't justify buying more than one pair. I'm more than pleased with the Susvara. I adore them. I auditioned Utopia, ZMF Verite open, and an Audeze set I can't remember.

I didn't think a DAC could make that much of a difference, but it sounds like I'm just in it with DAVE. The music has broken through my headphones and I'm just there. Holographic, 3D, transdimensional? I dunno. All the above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back