Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #12,752 of 18,334
That LP sounds incredible. Must be great.
It's lovely to play, sounds great and has a really gorgeous burst. I'm very happy with it.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #12,753 of 18,334
I added an M Scaler to my new TT2 on Sunday and I have been listening for 4-5 hours per day ever since. It is one of the most interesting devices I have ever added to my audio chain because I think it requires time (and perhaps a "listening curve" to fully understand). It would be a very hard device to try to "sell" someone on after a brief 15-minute listening session at a dealer. I feel like different levels of depth keep unlocking (or revealing themselves) to me each time I re-listen to my favorite test tracks.

The HMS is a hard device to explain but the best I can do is a 3-word description. The M Scaler adds 1) Air, 2) Realism, and 3) an Analog sound signature. Airiness is the benefit that is noticed initially and is easiest to describe. When you click the pass-through button, the song just seems to collapse in on itself.

Realism is unlike anything I have ever heard on the live tracks in my collection. It is the difference between listening to an excellently mastered recording and sitting in the second row of the actual concert. The difference is both subtle and game-changing at the same time. It is perhaps a 5-8% improvement in realism, but that is what puts you over the timing threshold where your brain begins to struggle to differentiate real life vs recording.

And finally, if I had to describe the sound in only one sentence, it would be that it makes each track sound like an exquisitely-mastered analog recording. All traces of digital glare are removed and the result is that there is no listening fatigue whatsoever. It is an amazing device that is nearly impossible to describe...hopefully my thoughts will help someone who is currently on the fence. It must be heard to be fully understood.

Well said. My simple analogy is that mScaler makes me feel like I’m the room live wherever what I’m listening to was recorded.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #12,754 of 18,334
For those of you who own the TT2 use Filter 1 predominately? Or does 4 take an edge off in a good way?

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #12,755 of 18,334
For those of you who own the TT2 use Filter 1 predominately? Or does 4 take an edge off in a good way?

I use primarily FIL 2.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #12,756 of 18,334
I’m almost exclusively filter 2 regardless of how I’m using my TT2.

To me Filter 2 is what takes the edge off.

Filter 3 has worked for me if I have bright headphones or tubes (when using an amp).

I don’t even touch filter 4.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #12,757 of 18,334
I toggle between filter 1 and 2 usually. With the MScaler, I think filter 2 is probably my preferred setting on the TT2 as well.

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #12,761 of 18,334
I toggle between filter 1 and 2 usually. With the MScaler, I think filter 2 is probably my preferred setting on the TT2 as well.

Filter 1 and 2 are exactly the same thing with the only difference being filter 2 includes high frequency roll off only when playing 88.2 to 768 kHz (which can be prone to very HF peaks inherent in those high sampling rates), which I guess is all the time if you use the M Scaler

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #12,765 of 18,334
I haven't really tried the filters - I started on 1 and left it there. Am I missing anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back