Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #12,736 of 18,414
I added an M Scaler to my new TT2 on Sunday and I have been listening for 4-5 hours per day ever since. It is one of the most interesting devices I have ever added to my audio chain because I think it requires time (and perhaps a "listening curve" to fully understand). It would be a very hard device to try to "sell" someone on after a brief 15-minute listening session at a dealer. I feel like different levels of depth keep unlocking (or revealing themselves) to me each time I re-listen to my favorite test tracks.

The HMS is a hard device to explain but the best I can do is a 3-word description. The M Scaler adds 1) Air, 2) Realism, and 3) an Analog sound signature. Airiness is the benefit that is noticed initially and is easiest to describe. When you click the pass-through button, the song just seems to collapse in on itself.

Realism is unlike anything I have ever heard on the live tracks in my collection. It is the difference between listening to an excellently mastered recording and sitting in the second row of the actual concert. The difference is both subtle and game-changing at the same time. It is perhaps a 5-8% improvement in realism, but that is what puts you over the timing threshold where your brain begins to struggle to differentiate real life vs recording.

And finally, if I had to describe the sound in only one sentence, it would be that it makes each track sound like an exquisitely-mastered analog recording. All traces of digital glare are removed and the result is that there is no listening fatigue whatsoever. It is an amazing device that is nearly impossible to describe...hopefully my thoughts will help someone who is currently on the fence. It must be heard to be fully understood.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #12,737 of 18,414
I added an M Scaler to my new TT2 on Sunday and I have been listening for 4-5 hours per day ever since. It is one of the most interesting devices I have ever added to my audio chain because I think it requires time (and perhaps a "listening curve" to fully understand). It would be a very hard device to try to "sell" someone on after a brief 15-minute listening session at a dealer. I feel like different levels of depth keep unlocking (or revealing themselves) to me each time I re-listen to my favorite test tracks.

The HMS is a hard device to explain but the best I can do is a 3-word description. The M Scaler adds 1) Air, 2) Realism, and 3) an Analog sound signature. Airiness is the benefit that is noticed initially and is easiest to describe. When you click the pass-through button, the song just seems to collapse in on itself. Realism is unlike anything I have ever heard on the live tracks in my collection. It is the difference between listening to an excellently mastered recording and sitting in the second row of the actual concert. The difference is both subtle and game-changing at the same time. It is perhaps a 5-8% improvement in realism, but that is what puts you over the timing threshold where your brain begins to struggle to differentiate real life vs recording. And finally, if I had to describe the sound in only one sentence, it would be that it makes each track sound like an exquisitely-mastered analog recording. All traces of digital glare are removed and the result is that there is no listening fatigue whatsoever. It is an amazing device that is nearly impossible to describe...hopefully my thoughts will help someone who is currently on the fence. It must be heard to be fully understood.
You and gadget67 are doing me absolutely no favours whatsoever....🤣

Have already pre-alerted my dealer to watch for the arrival of the next batch into the country.

Congratulations and enjoy 👍

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #12,739 of 18,414
Nice! I have a Martin HD28V, which keeps getting better as it ages, unlike myself. I do have a hankering for a Marquis or Authentic at some point...
I actually wanted the D-28; Martin began making the D-35 to make use of smaller Brazilian rosewood pieces ergo the three piece back. I was a college student with little money so it was a huge purchase for me. It’s definitely aged better than I have!

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #12,740 of 18,414

The HMS is a hard device to explain but the best I can do is a 3-word description. The M Scaler adds 1) Air, 2) Realism, and 3) an Analog sound signature. Airiness is the benefit that is noticed initially and is easiest to describe. When you click the pass-through button, the song just seems to collapse in on itself. Realism is unlike anything I have ever heard on the live tracks in my collection. It is the difference between listening to an excellently mastered recording and sitting in the second row of the actual concert. The difference is both subtle and game-changing at the same time. It is perhaps a 5-8% improvement in realism, but that is what puts you over the timing threshold where your brain begins to struggle to differentiate real life vs recording. And finally, if I had to describe the sound in only one sentence, it would be that it makes each track sound like an exquisitely-mastered analog recording. All traces of digital glare are removed and the result is that there is no listening fatigue whatsoever. It is an amazing device that is nearly impossible to describe...hopefully my thoughts will help someone who is currently on the fence. It must be heard to be fully understood.
As I said earlier, give it time. Obviously it didn’t take long!

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #12,741 of 18,414
I actually wanted the D-28; Martin began making the D-35 to make use of smaller Brazilian rosewood pieces ergo the three piece back. I was a college student with little money so it was a huge purchase for me. It’s definitely aged better than I have!
I'm having a Brock Johnston Dreadnought built. Should be done in about six more months?

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #12,742 of 18,414
You and gadget67 are doing me absolutely no favours whatsoever....🤣

Have already pre-alerted my dealer to watch for the arrival of the next batch into the country.

Congratulations and enjoy 👍
What country are you in?

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #12,744 of 18,414
NICE!!! Just went to his site; very impressive. You must be excited, but I’m a long time acoustic guitar fan so I understand. It’s a “real” Sound; no M-Scaler required!
I've always had great electrics and middle road acoustics. Now I'm in my 60's and play acoustic four times more. I was going to get a Martin D-28 and couldn't find an affordable one I liked. 60's sounded fantastic but $$$.

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #12,745 of 18,414

The HMS is a hard device to explain but the best I can do is a 3-word description. The M Scaler adds 1) Air, 2) Realism, and 3) an Analog sound signature. Airiness is the benefit that is noticed initially and is easiest to describe. When you click the pass-through button, the song just seems to collapse in on itself.

Realism is unlike anything I have ever heard on the live tracks in my collection. It is the difference between listening to an excellently mastered recording and sitting in the second row of the actual concert. The difference is both subtle and game-changing at the same time. It is perhaps a 5-8% improvement in realism, but that is what puts you over the timing threshold where your brain begins to struggle to differentiate real life vs recording.

And finally, if I had to describe the sound in only one sentence, it would be that it makes each track sound like an exquisitely-mastered analog recording. All traces of digital glare are removed and the result is that there is no listening fatigue whatsoever. It is an amazing device that is nearly impossible to describe...hopefully my thoughts will help someone who is currently on the fence. It must be heard to be fully understood.
Totally agree. The biggest difference I've noticed in the few days I've had this would be CD's. The improvement is crazy. SACD not so much hit you in the face but detail/soundstage much better.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #12,750 of 18,414
I've always had great electrics and middle road acoustics. Now I'm in my 60's and play acoustic four times more. I was going to get a Martin D-28 and couldn't find an affordable one I liked. 60's sounded fantastic but $$$.
I know what you mean - it's easy to just pick the acoustic up and play. I'm down to two electrics now - a Gibson 335 Chris Cornell signature in green from the original run that I'll never get rid of and a new Gibson Les Paul '59 60th Anniversary Reissue that I got last year as a treat for myself (I got a lot of treats last year). 🤣 I still gravitate back to acoustic though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back