Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #8,251 of 18,345
My Aeon flow closed go into the potential hazard zone (80db)when I go beyond -30h, Hd800s at about -25h. Using a decibel app...

If that app is typical of the ones you can download for smartphones, then its accuracy is not to be trusted, until it's been calibrated against a reference (which the app makers do recommend you do and usually supply an adjustment option).
The decibel app on my smartphone displayed several dbs lower than that of my hardware decibel meter (itself probably not that accurate in the first place) - the difference big enough to result in long term hearing damage.
I can't remember the exact difference now, but t was somewhere in the 10-20db region.

So, its fine to use such apps for relative volume differences, but not good enough if you want to protect your long term hearing (says he with mild tinnitus and so more concerned about such things).

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #8,254 of 18,345
Wow, 96/24 Ultra HD music from Amazon's new service sounds pretty great on M-scaler->DAVE->Utopia. I'm using USB from my iMac 5K (wish it had optical out like my old one). Hope Amazon gets integrated into Roon at some point.

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #8,255 of 18,345
iMac 5K (wish it had optical out like my old one)

Bought the Topping D10 recently which can convert to optical up until 24/192: https://www.parts-express.com/topping-d10-desktop-usb-dac-interface--310-349

FEAD2B1B-D395-4DA1-8326-4BF0615BF3B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #8,256 of 18,345
What settings should the M Scaler have in Windows with the Amazon music app? It doesn't have exclusive mode, so is it best to set it to the max (like 32 bit 768khz or something) or some other level?

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #8,257 of 18,345
What settings should the M Scaler have in Windows with the Amazon music app? It doesn't have exclusive mode, so is it best to set it to the max (like 32 bit 768khz or something) or some other level?
You would need to change it on a per song basis as it depends on the sampling rate of the song, as you don’t want to resample it before it gets up mscaler (either resampled up or down) is my understanding.
So it’s not practical, you need to use a music player that can take exclusive control of the audio device, so it can set the sample rate appropriate to the current song.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #8,258 of 18,345
You would need to change it on a per song basis as it depends on the sampling rate of the song, as you don’t want to resample it before it gets up mscaler (either resampled up or down) is my understanding.
So it’s not practical, you need to use a music player that can take exclusive control of the audio device, so it can set the sample rate appropriate to the current song.
That's what I figured... Any feasible way to do that with Amazon Music HD right now? Or do I have to just hope Roon picks it up?

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #8,259 of 18,345
That's what I figured... Any feasible way to do that with Amazon Music HD right now? Or do I have to just hope Roon picks it up?
Suppose you only need to change it per album, if it’s different from the previous album, although I’m hearing the desktop version of the software had the same playback bugs that qobuz had originally when trying to play hi res music.
I guess Roon will have to integrate and I presume amazon will have an open api for anyone who wants to integrate.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #8,260 of 18,345
@Galm

ConfirmIng what Zappman said. The whole point of the Hugo M Scaler is to do the upscaling, having anything else touch the waveform before it gets to the M Scaler compromises the waveform and defeats the entire purpose of the M Scaler. And upscaling to 704 or 768khz will also bypass the M Scaler completely. Not familiar with windows but maybe there are drivers which allow original sample rates through or does the Amazon app pre processes it or prevent the ability to pass through original sampling rate?

Edit: didn’t see the other responses before posting this

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #8,261 of 18,345
Suppose you only need to change it per album, if it’s different from the previous album, although I’m hearing the desktop version of the software had the same playback bugs that qobuz had originally when trying to play hi res music.
I guess Roon will have to integrate and I presume amazon will have an open api for anyone who wants to integrate.

Yeah, it needs exclusive mode or your stuck at 44.1khz or whatever windows is set at, but it really needs to be changing sample rate on the fly like what exclusive mode allows, shared mode which the amazon desktop app uses is manual sample rate changes only.

When I was flicking about with some songs, HD or Ultra HD tracks started playing in a slomo style similar to what qobuz suffered from a whileback. It eventually played ok and I'm not sure if that was just a glitch or an actual bug.

Also, when playing the exact same track on Amazon and Qobuz via roon, the amazon tracks volume was a good bit lower than qobuz's and also amazons sounded a little bright/sharp compared to qobuz via roon.

How they managed to miss exclusive mode for the pc app is a mystery, as that should of been high on the list of things to include on the pc version of the amazon hd music app.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #8,262 of 18,345
I go away 2 days return and suddenly everyone's streaming ultra hd from amazon....

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #8,263 of 18,345
I’ve been using amazon direct from an iPad Pro into the m Scaler using a usb input. The odd thing is that the m Scaler always shows the source as being 192 even though sometimes it’s 96 or 44. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure what to make of it.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #8,264 of 18,345
There were some problems with the pro's and audio playback a short while back? don't know the current situation. try an old model phone/ipad. are you constantly getting the 192k blue light on hms?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #8,265 of 18,345
I’ve been using amazon direct from an iPad Pro into the m Scaler using a usb input. The odd thing is that the m Scaler always shows the source as being 192 even though sometimes it’s 96 or 44. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure what to make of it.
Same here on my Mojo thru iPad/IPhone. This is a known issue with Amazons ultra hd service at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back