Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #6,286 of 18,345
Indeed!
So I will repeat my question: Does connecting the M-scaler to a big speaker amp will have sonic advantages regarding the 1Mio Taps?
Or can't the M-scaler achieve 1 Mio Taps without being connected to another Chord device like the Dave or the TT2?

No 1 million taps unless you have a chord dac in the mix. You can still get half a million, but 1 million taps is only supported at the moment by chord dacs.

Robs soon to be DX amps should net you 1million taps.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #6,287 of 18,345
No 1 million taps unless you have a chord dac in the mix. You can still get half a million, but 1 million taps is only supported at the moment by chord dacs.

Robs soon to be DX amps should net you 1million taps.
At least according to how I read M-scaler's documentation, above statement, that you need the Dave plus M-scaler to achieve the 1 Mio Taps, is not true.
According to the M-scaler specs, the M-scaler achieves the 1 Mio Taps on its own.
Which makes sense, otherwise why would you buy the M-scaler/TT2 combo and still not achieve the - according to Rob's theory - absolutely necessary minimum of 1 Mio Taps for the transients to sound "right"?
But somehow I have guts feeling that we are yet one year or so too early to buy an M-scaler, although according to Rob it sells like crazy. (And I am happy for Chord, because more profit for Chord means more money for R/D)
I can see an updated M-scaler in the not too far away future, something like 16 Mio Taps. Just saying!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #6,288 of 18,345
At least according to how I read M-scaler's documentation, above statement, that you need the Dave plus M-scaler to achieve the 1 Mio Taps, is not true.
According to the M-scaler specs, the M-scaler achieves the 1 Mio Taps on its own.
Which makes sense, otherwise why would you buy the M-scaler/TT2 combo and still not achieve the - according to Rob's theory - absolutely necessary minimum of 1 Mio Taps for the transients to sound "right"?
But somehow I have guts feeling that we are yet one year or so too early to buy an M-scaler, although according to Rob it sells like crazy. (And I am happy for Chord, because more profit for Chord means more money for R/D)
I can see an updated M-scaler in the not too far away future, something like 16 Mio Taps. Just saying!
The mscaler uses the million taps, but you need the dual data rate bnc to supply it to a Chord dac. Other dacs are single data rate bnc, so can only cope with half a million taps.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #6,289 of 18,345
According to Chord, Dave uses Spartan 6 FPGAs which according to the manufacturer are the most cost effective field arrays and maybe when the Dave was produced even the most advanced.
But we are a couple of years into the future and I am convinced that FPGAs have advanced too.
That is indeed both a blessing and curse for electronic companies.

Unfortunately FPGAs have not advanced as we have liked:
Rob Watts said:
FPGAs haven't moved on rapidly recently - Moore's law is running out of steam, certainly for low cost silicon. With Xilinx, low cost high performance FPGAs have not changed in 6 years (7 series was "launched" a very long time ago in autumn 2012 - but it took 3 years for silicon to be easily available).

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #6,290 of 18,345
Just came back for the finding about HMS/Dave dropout problem.
This time I'm pretty sure the dropout for me caused by Roon!. There is no dropout when streaming through Tidal software or Spotify or windows playback (for youtube).
I don't know how this happen but anyone using Roon/hms/dave out there with dropout problem, do you experience the same scenario as mine?

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #6,291 of 18,345
This time I'm pretty sure the dropout for me caused by Roon!. There is no dropout when streaming through Tidal software or Spotify or windows playback (for youtube).
I don't know how this happen but anyone using Roon/hms/dave out there with dropout problem, do you experience the same scenario as mine?

I run Roon core on an Innuos Zenith and use the squeezebox endpoint feature on the zenith, all with no dropouts. I also use an Auralic Aries as a Roon endpoint, again no drop outs, not even once.

What do you run your roon core on? and what do you use as the endpoint/output?

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #6,292 of 18,345
I run Roon core on an Innuos Zenith and use the squeezebox endpoint feature on the zenith, all with no dropouts. I also use an Auralic Aries as a Roon endpoint, again no drop outs, not even once.

What do you run your roon core on? and what do you use as the endpoint/output?

I'm running roon core on intel NUC7i5bnh. Well, I'm thinking the same that it really caused by a source. The dropout still there when I switch to Macbook as well. Maybe I should just go for the hifi music server.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #6,293 of 18,345
Chord made no mistake

You get what you pay for. Want more performance pay more.

There’s no need for Dave 2.....technically any upgrade to Dave should be via Mscalers...

And later the recordings via Davina....

Dave is the result of 30 plus years of work. It’s not an annual update product like a Samsung galaxy phone
Great post here. The issue I have explained in my other posts about the annual iPhone, 3G/S, 4/S, 5/S/SE, 6/S/Plus, 7/Plus, 8/Plus, and 10x/s/r/Max cycle is that it has fuled a consumerist culture and a throwaway mentality. Unlike Apple, Rob Watts doesn’t design dishonest products with planned obsolescence. However, the notion that Chord will release new devices with more taps each year stems from the fact they released too many headphone products in short succession since 2015— the posts and feeling of distrust on the previous two pages in his thread show precisely that. Chord needs to slow their development cycles and support upgrades for existing products (e.g small hardware and firmware upgrades). That approach will allow Chord to maintain customer loyalty and the periodic upgrades can become a more realistic revenue stream rather than praying people will shell out for a DAVE 2. A global economic recession where consumers have less discretionary funds will be brutally unkind to companies trying to sell expensive “2” and “3” versions of their hardware. There is no need for a DAVE 2.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #6,295 of 18,345
These dropouts appear to be coincidental with a transport or other software issue and i too have had moments of silence that are obviously several hundred (thousand) missing SPDIF samples as robs receiver struggles to resync..

However in my experience pop/click dropouts are caused by cable/connection.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #6,296 of 18,345

Just letting you know that TT2 doesn’t suffer from drop outs like dave.

Some info for ya Incase you ever change your mind and want to join the men’s club :wink:

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #6,297 of 18,345
There is no need for a DAVE 2.
I think it is not a question of need. The need now is the same that there will be in 10 years.
It is a question of what is possible. I am sure if tomorrow a much more powerful new FPGA is available at near the current prices, Rob would immediately start making plans how to make the best use of it.
In fact, Rob is already ahead of the actual FPGA capability, that is why he had to make the Mscaler a separate product, as the FPGA does not allow to include it, not even in a separate chip in the same box. FPGAs are not able to keep up with ROB creative capabilities.
Dave is the best that can be made right now at that price, according to Chord. Of course there could be minor improvements, but not enough to justify a new product, as a new product has associated costs.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #6,298 of 18,345
I think it is not a question of need. The need now is the same that there will be in 10 years.
It is a question of what is possible. I am sure if tomorrow a much more powerful new FPGA is available at near the current prices, Rob would immediately start making plans how to make the best use of it.
In fact, Rob is already ahead of the actual FPGA capability, that is why he had to make the Mscaler a separate product, as the FPGA does not allow to include it, not even in a separate chip in the same box. FPGAs are not able to keep up with ROB creative capabilities.
Dave is the best that can be made right now at that price, according to Chord. Of course there could be minor improvements, but not enough to justify a new product, as a new product has associated costs.
Hence why I stated, “Unlike Apple, Rob Watts doesn’t design dishonest products with planned obsolescence.”

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #6,299 of 18,345
Indeed!
So I will repeat my question: Does connecting the M-scaler to a big speaker amp will have sonic advantages regarding the 1Mio Taps?
Or can't the M-scaler achieve 1 Mio Taps without being connected to another Chord device like the Dave or the TT2?
You can’t have anything without a DAC in the chain, and only 1million taps with some Chord DACs.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #6,300 of 18,345

I don’t know about that, Rob being ahead of the fpga.

Dave uses Xilinx Spartan 6, everything else like hugo 2, TT2 etc uses Xilinx Arctic 7.

Xilinx Spartan 7 is out and it’s the daddy of the Xilinx 7 range. Rob does not use the spartan 7 in his latestc dac’s. I’m not sure what’s in the mscaler, but I will presume it’s an Arctic 7, which version of it, I have no idea.

Now the question begins. If Rob is ahead of the fpga, why isn’t he using the most powerful fpga from the Xilinx 7 range ?

Until he uses and maxes out the spartan 7 chip’s capabilities, then Rob is one step behind the fpga.

Idea’s, dream’s and aspirations do not count as being “ahead” of the fpga. If they did, then I’m ahead of the space race to mars. My creative idea’s are waaaay more advanced than the mere warp 7 that the uss enterprise can do.

I can go 1 faster, but only in 6000 years time when technology has finally caught up with me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back