Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #6,271 of 18,395
Another man walks into Harrods

Eats the expensive organic chicken

Likes it

End of story.

I enjoy my Dave every day listening music.

But for 8500 gbp I think that’s not too much to expect

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #6,272 of 18,395
Audiobacon has provided some answers to this question, driving an Abyss Phi (which has low efficiency, but not as low as Susvara). In his review, the $15k Wells Audio Headtrip Reference beat DAVE Direct on every level including transparency. This is (primarily) a headphone amp that can output 50W into 8 ohms if needed.

On the same site, the near $6k Eleven XI Audio Formula S with additional power supply, also beat DAVE Direct overall, but not clear if that was on every level. As has been stated before, most external amps will lose transparency even if some users may prefer the overall end result.

Audiobacon typically uses expensive interconnects and power cords, so the cost of these can easily add one or two extra $k to the total cost.
My view is that if you have a DAVE then stop chasing after low efficiency headphones and save yourself a ton of money and space on your hifi rack. And instead put your energy into improving your source, as this will ultimately give you a better sound.

What about speaker amps? Someone suggested pass labs but these run so hot you can fry eggs on them for breakfast, can’t leave on and take an hour to warm up without tubes.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #6,273 of 18,395
Man walks into harrods, says to the owner, I want to buy an analog turntable. Owner replies, would you like the U & E to go along with it ?

Oh and we are out of organic chicken.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #6,275 of 18,395
But it’s not raining, I told you earlier.

Harrods lol.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #6,276 of 18,395
Edited … wrong thread … sorry guys.

In the meanwhile, thanks for the very enjoyable reading provided by the last dozen of posts about Harrods and the weather in the UK :cloud_rain:...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #6,278 of 18,395
What about speaker amps? Someone suggested pass labs but these run so hot you can fry eggs on them for breakfast, can’t leave on and take an hour to warm up without tubes.

I even cd direct to the alpeh 5 via marantz cd63, and the sound was unbelievable transperant.

Aleph 5 was the best sounding pass lab ever built!

The modern pass costs many times more but...

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #6,281 of 18,395
Oh dear...

Clearly too much time and no bacon sandwich ‘n’ coke in the fridge

He tries some of the cat food left over and it tastes ok to him.

Maybe next time he should taste some of that organic chicken from waitrose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back