Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #5,851 of 18,345

Is this the only way to connect the Mscaler to HUGO2?
No you can use the supplied bnc cables and add an audio quest adapter on the end. If you search thread for audioquest you’ll find more posts.

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #5,853 of 18,345
Love your review. You summise the impact of the mscaler very well (coherence and timing). I have listened to and enjoyed more music than ever before as a result of my mscaler purchase.

There's a kind of honesty and relaxation in the presentation of the music (technical presentation - tense music sounds as tense as it should do) that means listening for hours is as enjoyable as it should be. I often think I'll listen to a few songs before bed and the next time I look at my watch hours have flown by.

Ade

I’d enjoy hearing more about your experience w M scaler. I appreciate the subjective language.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #5,854 of 18,345
are you using dual bnc input wdh? if so can someone explain to me what type of source would use dual bnc into mscaler?? wdh are you using dual bnc into mscaler and does this show as a blue input colour. this is new for me any explanation appreciated.

Sorry. Using dual bnc output so can keep upsampling ball to white. But using usb in so should have said keep input ball also to white vs blue. But good question. What source would use dual bnc?

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #5,855 of 18,345
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #5,856 of 18,345
can anyone shed light on the question concerning 1) does hms accept dual bnc in or are they just 2 single bnc's in? if so what kind of source would do single bnc in? i refuse to own such things and not fully understand how they work.:thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,857 of 18,345
can anyone shed light on the question concerning 1) does hms accept dual bnc in or are they just 2 single bnc's in? if so what kind of source would do single bnc in? i refuse to own such things and not fully understand how they work.:thinking::thinking:

"if so what kind of source would do single bnc in?"

My Aurender N10 -- and while I haven't read this thread in awhile, memory says little mention of Aurender music servers here.
I just know the Aurender gives me multiple choices for feeding my M Scaler, including BNC in.
I've preferred USB so far, especially since optical has a problem with 192kHz files.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #5,858 of 18,345
so dual bnc in does not exist then? in that case you can have two different single bnc sources wired in and just swap between them using the remote? imagine dual bnc in 705/768 ho ho ho unless???with dual bnc in pass thru would be 1M taps if such a thing is doable. actually i checked the chart and it does show dual bnc in with pass thru being 705/768. but what kind of source does dual bnc in 705/768 or maybe daisy chained mscalers or??? i know mutec guys daisy chain their schitt. this is intriguing as Rob said only his designs operate at 705/768khz. could this somehow be linked to the dx amps as i remember Ray tried digital out from dave into hugo 2 i think with little luck.

i'm tapping into something here maybe? a whole new chord eco system based around hms, dave and the dx amps (giant hugo 2's) awaits. the original building blocks for this started not with the release of dave but with the dave prototype many years before with the blue print for dx out as part of the final manufactured dave. not to forget the dual bnc dx outputs on tt2 a further addition to the eco system!! chord is well and truly future proofed. a carefully planned strategic operation to ensure market dominance for many years to come. my only concern is how headphone users will integrate into all this as i remember reading the dx integrated amp will have headphone out but not necessarily of higher quality than those already existing now.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #5,860 of 18,345
44.1kHz in= 705.6kHz out

48kHz in= 768kHz out

16*SR in both cases

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #5,861 of 18,345
Using the M Scaler with a TT2. TT2 is reading upsample to 705 but I thought it was supposed to be 768? Thanks

705 is what you get if you feed 44.1k, 768 is what you get for inputs of 48k and above.

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #5,863 of 18,345
sample rate ie no. of times per second that an analogue signal is sampled in order to achieve a digital representation. the more samples the more accurate is the result. 44.1khz means 44,100 times or samples per second or to be precise cycles per second. 16 bit means each sample contains 16 bits of information about the music to simplify things here.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #5,864 of 18,345
sample rate ie no. of times per second that an analogue signal is sampled in order to achieve a digital representation. the more samples the more accurate is the result. 44.1khz means 44,100 times or samples per second or to be precise cycles per second. 16 bit means each sample contains 16 bits of information about the music to simplify things here.

And what does the 16/24 refer to? So is Spotify and Apple Music 16/44 and tidal and qobuz 24/48 or 96?

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #5,865 of 18,345
Thanks for your advice.
It sounds encouraging.

I need a cheapish DAP that can handle/stream all current hi res formats including DSD and I am planning on using it only as a transport.
I would not mind getting a second hand one if it is transparent and does what I need it to do.
I am not going to admire it for its looks it or buy it to impress anyone.

Do you know which DAPs can play all formats from 24/96 up to DXD and DSD up to DSD 512?
Also important is that I can store big files on it internally or via an SSD slot of large capacity.

As far as Chromecast Audio is concerned you confirm what I read elsewhere.
It is a product which I realized at an early stage of my search would not be of any use for me at all.

I have less than 1% 16/44.1 material on my harddrives and although clearly better than rbcd as I knew it before M Scaler it is still not as good as hi res to me.

Native well recorded acoustic music in hi res still sounds more natural and relaxed and realistic and effortless than any rbcd I have heard since getting my M Scaler.
I have both native hi res masters and downsampled to 16/44.1 versions of enough albums to know for sure by now.
I was initally quite impressed by what I heard from some rbcd material that sounded rather awful before M Scaler but became listenable with it.

Before M Scaler I couldn't listen to complex densely scored large scale symphonic music for more than a short time on rbcd.
Now I can,but with so much really well recorded music in hi res my interest in rbcd is mainly for historic exceptional performances of great works by artists no longer alive or not recording any longer.

In this case I will always gladly pay for the native hi res version of any music I buy than a much cheaper rbcd version.
And I do so well knowing that in most cases I will get a clearly better sounding version.

Do you perceive any clear advantages SQ wise between the ones you list above, or are they all three equal SQ wise?
Cheers Controversial Christer
On the subject of Roon endpoint. I used to play my music from mbp via USB to HMS and Hugo 2. Excellent sound. Just for fun I got myself a Chromecast audio connected to HMS by optical. I had the impression that SQ was not as perfect with that little cheap thing, but just to check how it worked without cables. Then I got the Roon Nucleus to prepare for future Hi-Res storage and found out it worked best connected to the router in the office. So I had to rely on the CCA for music in the livingroom and thought it was OK. Enter a pure streamer as a Roon endpoint - the affordable Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra. Today I unpacked the diminutive box but Wow - what a difference! Unbelievable that such fantastic high fidelity music can travel unseen in my house, enter the little box and go into HMS, H2 and FU to make my that happy. This is the best clean beautiful SQ I have ever heard, can’t stop going through my music again. So those of you who are looking for a very good and affordable streamer witch is Roon ready, look no further. I do not know to what extent the improvent is due to Roon Nucleus superiority over the laptop if there is one, or if it is due to the magic little S2 Ultra. Who cares, the end result is superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back