Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #4,216 of 18,413
Just ordered this stand to put DAVE on top of HMS. This perforated metal stand appears sturdy, has rubber feet, adjustable height and adequate dimensions. It should improve heat dissipation, save space and allow short dual BNC cables to run from HMS to DAVE at a bargain price from AMAZON.
My thanks to tunes for the metal stand posting. I ordered it and have it set up with a black HMS and black DAVE. The all black metal looks great with them and it is a perfect size and height.
Stand.jpg

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #4,219 of 18,413
Seems like quite a decent/cheaper alternative to the $2K ensemble stand... :p
Tough choice: $19 or $2K. Think I'll consider adding a Mr. Speakers Ether 2 as I ponder the difference.

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #4,220 of 18,413
My thanks to tunes for the metal stand posting. I ordered it and have it set up with a black HMS and black DAVE. The all black metal looks great with them and it is a perfect size and height.

Purchased the same stand and used same arrangement (Dave on top, M Scaler below), thanks to tunes recommendation and pointer. Works splendidly and looks just fine.

IMG_2860.JPG

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #4,222 of 18,413
So I know this is Head-fi but indulge me for a minute. So currently only use headphones. Chord TT, gsx mk2, LCD-4s soon to upgrade to Chord TT2, HMS, with LCD-4s. So considering getting a TToby with a set of bookshelf speakers. So few questions. How many here use the M Scaler with a full system vs just headphones. More importantly how will the listening experience change? Will a modest pair of speakers sound better than the LCD-4s or do you loose the base end given bookshelf speakers and need floor standing to replicate it. Is the sound stage massively better with speakers? What brands would you recommend? B&W 805, Monitor, Revel, Raidho, etc. I think I may have a near ultimate headphone rig set and it is intriguing to add a TToby to a TT2 and HMS from a form factor perspective and add a set up high sensitivity bookshelf speakers but what would that ultimate set up look like and would this be sacrificing too much over a different amp or floor standing speakers? Thanks for your feedback and realize this is going out on a tangent a bit but didn’t know where to post.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #4,223 of 18,413
So I know this is Head-fi but indulge me for a minute. So currently only use headphones. Chord TT, gsx mk2, LCD-4s soon to upgrade to Chord TT2, HMS, with LCD-4s. So considering getting a TToby with a set of bookshelf speakers. So few questions. How many here use the M Scaler with a full system vs just headphones. More importantly how will the listening experience change? Will a modest pair of speakers sound better than the LCD-4s or do you loose the base end given bookshelf speakers and need floor standing to replicate it. Is the sound stage massively better with speakers? What brands would you recommend? B&W 805, Monitor, Revel, Raidho, etc. I think I may have a near ultimate headphone rig set and it is intriguing to add a TToby to a TT2 and HMS from a form factor perspective and add a set up high sensitivity bookshelf speakers but what would that ultimate set up look like and would this be sacrificing too much over a different amp or floor standing speakers? Thanks for your feedback and realize this is going out on a tangent a bit but didn’t know where to post.

Raidho is a tier above the other brands you mentioned. The main issue with speakers vs headphones is that you need a space to accommodate them optimally, room acoustics are an enormous factor to speaker performance even with near-field setups.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #4,225 of 18,413

I use both, speakers and headphones. Speakers are a bit different world, you need a good room acoustics, you must optimize speaker placement in your room etc. The M Scaler has similar improvements in my speaker and headphone setups. To your questions: I would strongly recommend to listen as much demos as possible to identify your own speaker preferences. Do you have any friends with speakers, local dealers or audio events around? One of the basic question is: How big is your room for speakers? -- dimensions, furniture, materials, any acoustic treatment...? Have you considered active speakers?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #4,226 of 18,413
Just looked up the price of the raidhos. Yikes. Out of my budget. Looking for best under 10,000.

You can often find Raidho X or C under 10K used. The trick to high end audio is never pay MSRP for high end audio. HiFi second-hand market is quite active, especially 2-channel. Exercise some patience and you can come across some steals. Just fill in the wait time w/ demos and research.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #4,227 of 18,413
Just looked up the price of the raidhos. Yikes. Out of my budget. Looking for best under 10,000.

I have had the B&W 802d3's with my BluDAVE (Classe and Benchmark amps) and Rob is driving his B&W803d3's with his TT2. The precision of the B&W's is a fine match with the precision of the Chord stack, I think. I've also audioned the 805d3's (bookshelf speakers) and they were outstanding. However, I felt they needed a sub for support at the low end. I've also dragged around my DAVE to audition Wilsons and YGs and Martin Logan electrostats and a variety of other high end speakers. They were all wonderful, but they all brought their own flavor to the party that sort of layered on top of the magic the Chord stack was recreating.

More specifically, you do give up a lot of transparency with the multiple drivers/cross overs/amp. Different speakers and amps have more or less impact, but it is there (and very easy to hear once you become tuned to it).

If you're after ultimate transparency, I recommend auditioning some high efficiency single driver speakers. They're not for everyone. You give up some tonal balance and some physicality, but they are wonderful point sources, giving holographic imaging and presence when driven direct (no amp). My brain quickly adjusted to the tonal changes, but I can't get enough of the spatial precision and sense of reality.

I've had the Omega Super Alnico Monitors ($2k) paired with a fast and very musical F112v2 sub ($3k) driven direct from mHugo2 and mDAVE (no amp), but I was fine listening to them without the sub (for others, they thought the sub was mandatory). Friends have the Omega Compact Alnico Monitors, and I thought thought those required a sub. I since moved on to Voxativ 9.87's, but the Voxativ Zeth's (used) fall within your target price range. If you pair with a used Voxativ Z bass unit, you'll have a level of transparency beyond what the Omegas can do, with an upgrade path to faster and faster drivers if you choose to upgrade your speakers in the future.

I recommend you audition if you can. If you're already atuned to the aspects of the Chord sounds that appeal to you, you'll hear right away whether it is right for you (the transparency changes are not subtle, and neither are what I think of as the physicality changes).

As always, happy to host listening sessions in SoCal...

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #4,228 of 18,413
^^

Steve Hoffman has the 9.87's I believe:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...9-87-system-can-be-powered-by-2-watts.439301/

If < 10K, pureaudioproject has some Voxativ setups but there's a xover component. You should be able to use the fullrange direct and xover for just the woofers; but quite unsure. It seems like they are using a xover for both drivers for the avg config.

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/trio15-voxativ-open-baffle-speakers/

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/trio10-voxativ-open-baffle-speakers/
Note: Xmas sale ($1k off)

This allows for a low entry point to start with the lowest price Voxativ fullrange (~$2500) and can upgrade your Voxativ driver (>$10K) later with only changing out the fullrange driver.

It looks like they have an "Audition @ Home Program"...

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/audition-registration-page/

So you can start with some like this:

D6BDBF18-9E17-420C-A52B-ABAE671DB5C6.jpeg

and later replace with this:

8A35F53D-4438-4766-A861-6CB4AF6BF82B.jpeg

I'm not sure if you can purchase just the stand and open baffle from pureaudioproject, purchase your own Voxativ driver and use your own SUB. That way no xover...

I would rather start entry-level Voxativ semi-DIY than go pre-built Omega so there's an upgrade path down the line.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #4,229 of 18,413
FYI - Windows10 + JRiver MC Users. (and @Rob Watts ). I had a problem with crackling and popping sounds when playing higher rate PCM using USB to MScaler (and actually Hugo2). This was only apparent with Laptop-to-USB direct ...and only with JRiver (other media players were fine). Laptop-to-USB-to-SPDIF/Toslink Converter was fine (curiously) .

Anyhow - problem has been solved 100% by removing my trial copy of Malwarebytes virus software. I wont try to figure out what was going on. Just a lesson learned => my playback laptop will now be as vanilla barebones as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back