Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,961 of 18,416
Roon and Tidal desktop, I will admit most of time it was tidal via Roon, but not always. For qobuz it was just qobuz desktop since roon does not support it yet.

If you have a chance, try Audirvana+. I do not like Tidal (Master) in the Tidal desktop app (exclusive mode) but it is really good in Audirvana+ (Wasapi or Asio mode) to my ears...

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #3,963 of 18,416
I think there is a language problem. I couldn't get them to understand that the Qobuz Android app is not bit perfect as Android audio up-samples all Qobuz content to 192/24 before outputting it on an OTG cable to my Mojo.

Hmmm, I don’t know how good their english is, but the email they sent to me today, was in good enough english for me to understand.

I don’t think I will hold my breath for them to fix the asio problem, as no doubt they are on strike.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,964 of 18,416
I too have an ASUS Router (AC5000) I will try to retest and see how will chromecast works, I previously used an Almond router and had zero issues.

Chromecast shouldn’t need air fairness to work, maybe you blocked internet access to it by mistake on the Asus router app?

Not really, I had zero problems with devices connected via cable at the same time... Users with other Asus routers report no or similar problems. It probably depends on the router model and the RT-88U is one of the affected ones. I have the latest firmware, of course..

// Sorry for the OT in the HMS thread.

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,965 of 18,416
Not really, I had zero problems with devices connected via cable at the same time... Users with other Asus routers report no or similar problems. It probably depends on the router model and the RT-88U is one of the affected ones. I have the latest firmware, of course..

// Sorry for the OT in the HMS thread.

I see I guess the issue might be router specific. Anyways, the easiest solution to get chromecast working would be Ethernet as long as you’re still keen on using it as a source.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,966 of 18,416
I decided to test pass through mode after all the discussion. Its perhaps worth mentioining that all my tests were done with loud speakers and not headphones. I certainly beleived that I could tell the difference between pass throuigh and full upscale mode. For me the vocals juist seem to come forward and the whole sound stage gains depth, iin full mode, where as in pass through mode it still sounds almost as wide, but just flat, really flat.

Also at the risk of repeating myself, has anyone else found the HMS optical input to be superior to USB? I never found this with the Dave, but I am noticing significant differences on HMS. I accept it could be my Aries, but if so I thought I would have had same result when using just DAVE??

I also prefer optical to USB. There are a few good reasons to use optical. One of it is the ground is not connected between MScaler and the source. There is guarantee of no ground loop issue. Second, you can put the power supply of source in different part of electrical circuit and no need to worry the source may introduce noises to your audio electrical circuit.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #3,967 of 18,416
Not sure what the root cause really was but I had to enable Airtime Fairness in my router (Asus RT-AC88U) settings. The Chromecast Audio does not work in my network when this is disabled. But after enabling it, I had problems with many devices: with my smart plugs, my TV, even with phones and tablets sometimes.
There is an external thread dedicated to this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/780xs4/big_issues_with_asus_router/

So in my case:
Enable Airtime Fairness > Chromecast Audio works but other wifi devices are often randomly disconnected and it is really annoying.
Disable Airtime Fairness > Chromecast Audio does not work but my wifi network is fine: 10-20 devices connected without any problems...

Does your ASUS router allow you to create more than one WLAN?

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,969 of 18,416
If you have a chance, try Audirvana+. I do not like Tidal (Master) in the Tidal desktop app (exclusive mode) but it is really good in Audirvana+ (Wasapi or Asio mode) to my ears...

I will maybe try it out, I originally thought it was only for macs, but I see a windows version.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #3,970 of 18,416
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #3,971 of 18,416
A question if anyone here can answer.
Will Chord include worldwide guarantee irrespective of where ones buys the M Scaler?
Will an M Scaler bought in say Asia be under offical Chord guarantee if registered with Chord online?
Meaning I won't have to send it back to Asia if I am in Europe in the unlikely event the M Scaler would become nonfunctional.
I need to know before possibly committing.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #3,972 of 18,416
I also prefer optical to USB. There are a few good reasons to use optical. One of it is the ground is not connected between MScaler and the source. There is guarantee of no ground loop issue. Second, you can put the power supply of source in different part of electrical circuit and no need to worry the source may introduce noises to your audio electrical circuit.

Which source do you use for optical ?

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #3,974 of 18,416
I decided to test pass through mode after all the discussion. Its perhaps worth mentioining that all my tests were done with loud speakers and not headphones. I certainly beleived that I could tell the difference between pass throuigh and full upscale mode. For me the vocals juist seem to come forward and the whole sound stage gains depth, iin full mode, where as in pass through mode it still sounds almost as wide, but just flat, really flat.

I said I wanted to get around to this but had not had enough time so last night I decided to do the full HMS pass through test again in a more formal way and with a wider variety of music including comparing it to physically taking HMS out of the system.

First was playing solo Dave with HMS not connected at all and switched off. I have not listened to solo Dave for a few months and the sound was all I remembered with lovely detailed top and plenty of bass but not as tight as with HMS. It was the detail and separation of musical instruments in complex orchestral passages that first got me to sell my Bricasti M1 SE and buy a Dave to replace it. There was no disappointment, it was all still there. But the problem is that my audio memory of what HMS can do is very strong and I knew there was more to come and that is the problem with HMS. Once you have heard what it can do then anything else is a slight disappointment.

Next HMS was brought into the system on pass through mode. The sound was identical to solo Dave except that now a certain forwardness had been added to the top end. All sounded a bit brighter and harder. Solo Dave was smoother and more enjoyable.

Last was full MScaling on the HMS. Oh boy, what a change. The bass was the first thing I noticed. It was much more defined and enjoyable. This was also the first thing I noticed when I first tried Blu2 and HMS is no different for me with initial impressions. Also, like the Bu2 the HMS top and mids also now had real separation of notes and nuances of detail. One track has a cymbal being stroked and rather than just a stroking sound I could hear the changing characteristics as the brush circled over the cymbal which gave a very 3D effect to the sound. For me adding in the full MScaling was a big big difference to the music. It is hard not to smile at the sheer extent of the difference when the full MScaling is added.

So, I am rather at odds with those who say that there are some tracks where they do not notice the marked improvement due to the HMS MScaling. For me in this test the Mscaling effect was very very obvious on all tracks and with a wide variety of music and input resolutions. Of course, what I cannot do is say whether the uniform improvement that I heard due to the HMS on all music is the same on H2, Qutest or TT2 as I only tried the Dave

To do this test I used what I think of as my currently most transparent system (I have 3) with an Innuos Xenith SE as source and Dave connected directly to a pair of Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblocs which are placed next to the Spendor SP200 speakers and connected by 60cm speaker cables. I find this system very revealing and transparent but also musical. Ultimately I think the ATC SCM150ASL active speakers might best this set up but for the moment their 13 year old drivers are not in their prime. They are waiting for the factory to replace them and recalibrate the speakers. For the sake of the exercise I was using stock 1m Dual BNC cables for the HMS as opposed to aftermarket ones.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #3,975 of 18,416
I said I wanted to get around to this but had not had enough time so last night I decided to do the full HMS pass through test again in a more formal way and with a wider variety of music including comparing it to physically taking HMS out of the system.

First was playing solo Dave with HMS not connected at all and switched off. I have not listened to solo Dave for a few months and the sound was all I remembered with lovely detailed top and plenty of bass but not as tight as with HMS. It was the detail and separation of musical instruments in complex orchestral passages that first got me to sell my Bricasti M1 SE and buy a Dave to replace it. There was no disappointment, it was all still there. But the problem is that my audio memory of what HMS can do is very strong and I knew there was more to come and that is the problem with HMS. Once you have heard what it can do then anything else is a slight disappointment.

Next HMS was brought into the system on pass through mode. The sound was identical to solo Dave except that now a certain forwardness had been added to the top end. All sounded a bit brighter and harder. Solo Dave was smoother and more enjoyable.

Last was full MScaling on the HMS. Oh boy, what a change. The bass was the first thing I noticed. It was much more defined and enjoyable. This was also the first thing I noticed when I first tried Blu2 and HMS is no different for me with initial impressions. Also, like the Bu2 the HMS top and mids also now had real separation of notes and nuances of detail. One track has a cymbal being stroked and rather than just a stroking sound I could hear the changing characteristics as the brush circled over the cymbal which gave a very 3D effect to the sound. For me adding in the full MScaling was a big big difference to the music. It is hard not to smile at the sheer extent of the difference when the full MScaling is added.

So, I am rather at odds with those who say that there are some tracks where they do not notice the marked improvement due to the HMS MScaling. For me in this test the Mscaling effect was very very obvious on all tracks and with a wide variety of music and input resolutions. Of course, what I cannot do is say whether the uniform improvement that I heard due to the HMS on all music is the same on H2, Qutest or TT2 as I only tried the Dave

To do this test I used what I think of as my currently most transparent system (I have 3) with an Innuos Xenith SE as source and Dave connected directly to a pair of Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblocs which are placed next to the Spendor SP200 speakers and connected by 60cm speaker cables. I find this system very revealing and transparent but also musical. Ultimately I think the ATC SCM150ASL active speakers might best this set up but for the moment their 13 year old drivers are not in their prime. They are waiting for the factory to replace them and recalibrate the speakers. For the sake of the exercise I was using stock 1m Dual BNC cables for the HMS as opposed to aftermarket ones.
If you toggled through during a track - could you easily tell the change was happening ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back