Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #2,911 of 18,416
For those in or near Singapore or waiting for their M-scaler/TT2 combos to arrive, I can report that I had a very brief first audition where I bought my Qutest a couple of days ago.

Still only one demo unit, but according to the guys at AV One at the Adelphi there will be stock arriving next week.
I can't report that the first very short audition via LCD4z headphones made me feel like reaching for my credit card though.

Although I could easily have done so without too much pain. I had a good month as photographer from stock sales last month basically getting the money needed for at least the M-scaler into one of my accounts.

The music played unfortunately was AC/DC, and it sounded as horrible to my ears as always!
I M taps still equalled "noise in noise out" to me.

Heavily distorted electronica/ electric guitars and loud screaming much too close to a mic will sound terrible on any system to me.
How anybody in their right mind,can spend more money than say a 99 dollar DAP and a cheap pair of IEMs if they listen to that kind of music is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

I had no problem at all getting my credit card out for my concert tickets this week.

And I hope to return with my own hi res recorded ACOUSTIC music in a couple of days for a more enjoyable session.
Cheers from "Controversial Christer".

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #2,912 of 18,416
For those in or near Singapore or waiting for their M-scaler/TT2 combos to arrive, I can report that I had a very brief first audition where I bought my Qutest a couple of days ago.

Still only one demo unit, but according to the guys at AV One at the Adelphi there will be stock arriving next week.
I can't report that the first very short audition via LCD4z headphones made me feel like reaching for my credit card though.

Although I could easily have done so without too much pain. I had a good month as photographer from stock sales last month basically getting the money needed for at least the M-scaler into one of my accounts.

The music played unfortunately was AC/DC, and it sounded as horrible to my ears as always!

Heavily distorted electronica/ electric guitars and loud screaming much too close to a mic will sound terrible on any system to me.
How anybody in their right mind,can spend more money than say a 99 dollar DAP and a cheap pair of IEMs if they listen to that kind of music is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

I had no problem at all getting my credit card out for my concert tickets this week.

And I hope to return with my own hi res recorded ACOUSTIC music in a couple of days for a more enjoyable session.

I hope you find the magic. It is there - try some late 50s Jazz as well if you can. But maybe not in ACDC. Lol.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #2,913 of 18,416

I am just curious to see if there are any ACDC fans in this forum, and if so will they take the bait!

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #2,914 of 18,416
I am just curious to see if there are any ACDC fans in this forum, and if so will they take the bait!

I'm going to try some on my mscaler!

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,915 of 18,416
I'm going to try some on my mscaler!

Be sure to report back your findings, interested to know if the MScaler can indeed turn ACDC in to something that could be called music!

(confession, I do own an ACDC album)

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #2,916 of 18,416

Would you like to share a link to your photography?

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #2,917 of 18,416

Just listened thunderstruck with 552/300/cd555/sopra2/full loom SL naim cables/naim fraim/powerlines
It rocked!

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,918 of 18,416
Ac dc sounds great DX to original TT.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2,919 of 18,416
Just listening to thunderstruck (Tidal FLAC from the Iron Man 2 soundtrack) - it sounds awesome on my mscaler - no screeching, distinct instruments and vocals. Thumping bass slightly subdued compared to the deepest I have heard but absolutely great audio even if it isn't my usual fare. I'll try a few other tracks and I'll also switch to HD650s rather than HD800 to see what differences I notice.

I don't understand how my impressions can be so different from @Christer - I'm not disagreeing with your impressions but wondering why they are so different? I expect the original HD800 to verge on being harsh with some tracks but didn't get any screeching (apart from the expected heavy rock type and it wasn't brittle sounding). Genuinely confused.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2,920 of 18,416
It’s just music preference.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,922 of 18,416
I listen to all kinds of music. It is transformative for many genres. For example, of all things I was listening to the B52s and it was incredible.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #2,924 of 18,416
I listen to all kinds of music. It is transformative for many genres. For example, of all things I was listening to the B52s and it was incredible.

Yes, I listen to all kinds of music as well. I agree that the M Scaler is transformative for many genres and sources.

The improvement is very unpredictable. It is not genre-based but rather source/album/song-related... To my surprise, even youtube videos and other streaming services (Netflix, HBO Go) are sometimes greatly improved by the M Scaler. However, the video mode is usually needed for watching films. The sound delay of the HMS full mode is really too much for lip sync but that was expected and resolved well by the video mode...

My happy day three with the M Scaler now. And listening and listening :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,925 of 18,416

I prefer Whitesnake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back