Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,882 of 18,348
Are there dual SPDIF inputs on the HMS? I thought only one.
It's about the two BNC outputs to the DAC, not the inputs (of which there are indeed two).

So you are talking about the end points of the cable are BNC and the cable in between is optical, right? Please elaborate.
Yes, exactly – two conversions involved:coaxial–optical, optical–coaxial. I think dmance could tell you more.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,883 of 18,348
Which type of source supports dual bnc in on the mscaler? Or is that 2 lots of single bnc in? And what kind of source supports single bnc into the mscaler as well?

Exactly. As I wrote yesterday: Look at the manual's section 4.2, which describes the various INPUT selection colors.
Click here for a PDF of the HMS manual.

What is the light blue INPUT color marked "Dual BNC" in the manual?

Is that "dual BNC" input for a Chord CD transport? Are there any servers with the dual output that could use the HMS "dual BNC" inputs?

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,884 of 18,348
Is anyone interested in posting their subjective impressions regarding, the difference in sq when mscaler powered by their phone or their server/streamer?

I think it’s a worthwhile discussion that could answer the questions we all have.

We all just want to make the right synergy choices to get most out of mscaler.

Quick 10 minute comparison between

Nvidia Shield Tablet in Airplane Mode, USB Audio Player Pro in Bitperfect mode, USB micro to USB A socket adapter, Wireworld Platinum USB cable to Mscaler

And

Roon (Desktop PC), Ethernet Connected to Chromecast Audio, Auduoquest Micro Toslink adapter, QED Reference Toslink cable, Mscaler

The track I used to test is one I'm very familiar with - Count Basie, Chairman of the Board, track HRH in 44.1 FLAC.

All subjective and IMO. The USB connected version sounded better than any of my previous systems, nice audio texture, good soundstage and depth etc. It didn't take many seconds of listening however to hear that the Chromecast Roon optical trounces it in every regard - I will try further tracks later today but based on this one track test it's a clear win to the Roon / Optical route - spectacular.

The differenciators i listen to on Jazz tracks are bass lines, tonal depth in the saxophone (does it sound like a saxophone or a trumpet? With some systems they sound the same!). On some systems I have listened to it can sound tinny and bright and old but with the Roon / Chromecast / Mscaler it sounds like the band are swinging in the room. I'm starting to feel like this setup might be where I stop upgrading. I also give credit to the Wave BNC cables for getting the last ounce of musical pleasure out of mscaler.

Updated: 19.10 08/11/18

I tried Nancy Wilson "Try a little tenderness" from "Capitol Recordings 1960 - 1976" through the two sources from above. This has confirmed my initial findings. More life, more fullness, dimensionality. An obvious difference through the Chromecast optical route.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,885 of 18,348
Someone just clear this for me.

Optical into M Scaler / 44.1khz / Dual BNC out M Scaler / Dual BNC Qutest / Will this give a upsample output of 705.6KHZ?

With both BNC out in M Scaler now being used if i was to use the Single S/PDIF out and went Optical into M Scaler / 44.1khz / S/PDIF out M Scaler / S/PDIF into Dac that supports 352.8khz / will this give a upsample output of 352.8khz?

Hope this is not too confusing?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2,888 of 18,348
Can someone explain to me, in layman's terms (again) why the M Scaler outputs in BNC and not in USB?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but for some reason, it's not sticking in my head. I can't wrap my mind around it, because I keep thinking USB can handle 705kHz/768kHz throughput, so I'm obviously not understanding someone really basic.

If this bothers folks who have tracked this thread from the beginning and already understand it, I'm sorry. If some kind person could PM me the explanation I would greatly appreciate it.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #2,890 of 18,348
All this talk of how good the Mscaler is, is making me even more frustrated mine is yet to arrive, pre-ordered it over 3 months ago.

To rub salt in the wound someone on the Blu Mk2 forum is considering trading in theirs for a Blu. I mean come on, have some consideration to us poor souls still waiting!!! :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,891 of 18,348
Can someone explain to me, in layman's terms (again) why the M Scaler outputs in BNC and not in USB?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but for some reason, it's not sticking in my head. I can't wrap my mind around it, because I keep thinking USB can handle 705kHz/768kHz throughput, so I'm obviously not understanding someone really basic.

If this bothers folks who have tracked this thread from the beginning and already understand it, I'm sorry. If some kind person could PM me the explanation I would greatly appreciate it.
Maybe to keep the customer restricted to chord dacs for full use?

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,892 of 18,348

I think it was that Rob Watts had not developed a suitable USB output circuit and to do so would have put back the M Scaler release date too much. The Blu 2 uses dual BNC, the Chord DACs are programmed to accept dual BNC so waiting for a USB output would not gain them anything.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,893 of 18,348
Ah, sounds kinda like the Dual BNC inputs on the DAVE, which when the unit first came out had no purpose...yet...then.

So quick question for all the British folks on this thread. When you see the acronym for the Hugo M-Scaler, which comes to mind first: audio or large ships?
The Royal Navy - Her Majesty's Ship of course. Rule Britannia and all that, we are Brits after all!

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #2,894 of 18,348
I think it was that Rob Watts had not developed a suitable USB output circuit and to do so would have put back the M Scaler release date too much. The Blu 2 uses dual BNC, the Chord DACs are programmed to accept dual BNC so waiting for a USB output would not gain them anything.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

I still don't understand that bit, I guess it's still hard for me to wrap my mind around why the usb circuit is difficult. I'm sure every aspect is difficult, but my mind is having trouble, probably, because my simple mind just keeps thinking "USB is a set spec, so what's the problem outputting 768kbps when every old computer with venerable USB 1.1 spec has 1.5Mbps speed capability and computers from 4-5 years ago with USB 2.0 have 480Mbps max speed"

Of course, it's probably not simple. But dangit my head struggles with this.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #2,895 of 18,348
Oh, okay. Thanks.

I still don't understand that bit, I guess it's still hard for me to wrap my mind around why the usb circuit is difficult. I'm sure every aspect is difficult, but my mind is having trouble, probably, because my simple mind just wanting to go to "USB is a set spec, so what's the difference between outputting 768kbps from every old computer with venerable USB 1.1 has 1.5Mbps speed capability and USB 2.0 has 480Mbps max speed"

Of course, it's probably not simple. But dangit my head struggles with this.

USB is a many-to-many communications bus (e.g. you can have 20 devices on it, each talking to the other 19 and at a different speeds, etc -- you need to deal with contention for the bus [which device gets to talk at any given time], etc).

S/PDIF is a one direction synchronous bus with just one transmitter.... and one active speed at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back