Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #1,276 of 18,410
Kinda wish I had ordered a silver one now!! Still waiting for my black one, dealer told me 2 weeks. Anyone else taken delivery of a Black m Scaler yet???

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #1,277 of 18,410
I measured mine on the Qutest, it was AC 77.5V, reserved or non-reserved.

Surprisingly high!

I have a Qutest, where are you measuring between which two points so I can compare.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,278 of 18,410
Had a chat with Chord about your post & they clarified things, see below:-

This is because Rob is coming from a purely technical perspective which is fine... 'however' when it comes to building and selling the products Chord have to consider the commercial and legal implications.

If a customer uses something other than the power supply Chord provide then there is a risk of damage to the product or worse personal injury could occur.

Chord have had to harden their stance due to some warranty challenges where our wording in the manual was deemed not to be clear enough.

I don't believe we differ from any other manufacturer in this respect, hope that clears any confusion.

Thank you for the clarification. Many will remain unhappy about this, and Chord might find itself in some difficulty in a small claims court if a claimant can show that a different power supply used was not responsible for a fault.

I will just further ask if you can you confirm the issue with battery packs, which some might feel as a non-mains powered supply would not be covered by the prohibition.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #1,280 of 18,410

I measured mine on the Qutest, it was AC 77.2V, reserved or non-reserved.
Surprisingly high!

I thought you were asking me to measure the DC supply voltage which is what I did.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,281 of 18,410
Thank you for the clarification. Many will remain unhappy about this, and Chord might find itself in some difficulty in a small claims court if a claimant can show that a different power supply used was not responsible for a fault... I will just further ask if you can you confirm the issue with battery packs, which some might feel as a non-mains powered supply would not be covered by the prohibition.

I've forwarded your question regarding battery-packs and will get back to you when & if I receive advice.

On a personal note, when I buy a product and a Manufacturer 'states' what can be used or not with a product I tend to heed the advice that's on the tin, so to speak... it really does save a lot of heartache over Warranty complications if a fault develops with a product wouldn't you agree?

>btw, I do not work for Chord so my opinions/thoughts are my own<

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,282 of 18,410
On a personal note, when I buy a product and a Manufacturer 'states' what can be used or not with a product I tend to heed the advice that's on the tin, so to speak... it really does save a lot of heartache over Warranty complications if a fault develops with a product wouldn't you agree?
Not really relevant to the basis of my concern, the lack of freedom to use compatible power supplies.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,284 of 18,410
Not really relevant to the basis of my concern, the lack of freedom to use compatible power supplies.

at the end of the day you've paid for the product and the Manufacturer has stated 'terms' of their Warranty... what & how you use the product is your business but best to read the 'Warranty terms' in my opinion, that way you know what is ''relevant' to your concerns.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #1,288 of 18,410
Because of the crappy C7 ("figure of 8") plug maybe?

It is a perfectly OK plug/socket for the low currents required and for the small size of the power supply box. All IMHO of course.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,289 of 18,410
Guys, this thread is going crazy! The thing has barely been out half an hour and you’re getting into ferrites and third party power supplies and power leads. You think Rob so stupid he couldn’t have designed a better power supply than someone on the internet who no ones ever heard of? You think he so stupid he deliberately chose a bad connector? You all need to listen to some music and get a grip.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,290 of 18,410
can we focus on sound. Say scaler versus a reference server or with a reference server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back