Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #991 of 18,425
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #992 of 18,425
I'll definitely be getting my hugo TT 2 but I've been suspended from work with pay,I've been working with this 19 year old and he keeps falling asleep on the job,long story short I told him he needs to get his backside into gear and work, so he went to leader and said I threatened him, I've never been suspended in thirty years I've worked and he has just started and works for an agency were I'm permanent and he has already been suspended for sleeping on the job, moral of the story is if they believe him I could be sacked and I won't get my hugo TT 2 straight away so excuse me if I'm a bit stressed at the moment

So sorry to hear about that but you have to beat 19 year old at their own game. Record video of him sleeping and post to your companies Facebook. #stillsleepingonjob

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #993 of 18,425
So sorry to hear about that but you have to beat 19 year old at their own game. Record video of him sleeping and post to your companies Facebook. #stillsleepingonjob
Mate all I wanna do is work hard and come home, I'm the best operator in there, got a technical back ground, if that's what they want running their lines then count me out

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #995 of 18,425
Yeah i listen to Luther Vandross too great stuff. Writing a formal typed statement addressed to your management might help. The pen is mightier than the sword is the saying.

What kind of machinery do you operate btw?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #996 of 18,425
Hi,

I've searched, but can't find the answer to how I connect my Hugo 2 to my Blu2?

I know I need a 3.5mm to dual BNC connector. Can I just use a standard 3.5mm to dual RCA cable, and then get the RCA to BNC converter like those two items below?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IRE4KU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primewire-Stereo-Connector-Surround-Digital-Black/dp/B01MZIEZ6M/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1535567696&sr=8-31&keywords=3,5mm+to+rca

The other route is to use twin bnc to bnc cables and wth bnc to rca converters at one end. They could then plug into a twin rca to jack fitting.

I have some photos I can send but it’s a bit late for me now so that will be tomorrow. The advantage is that you would be using a 75 ohm cable rather than just sone cheap audio cable.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #997 of 18,425
I love Luther Vandross

Where are you in the UK? Will be coming to London and Manchester next summer. Grab a pint...maybe a yard.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #998 of 18,425
For a while now (years actually), I've asked here and elsewhere if there is any sonic advantage to playing physical CDs vs. ripped (or purchased) files, and every time the answer I got was there was no difference at all. But now, for the first time I can recall, here in this thread there is chatter about CDs sounding better.
What's going on?

I've been hanging on to my CDs (even after ripping them) because, somehow, I still like the sound of them. But I thought I was imagining things or just didn't have good enough transport mechanisms (I just use an array of external or internal solid state drives for my files).

Is the CD really dead? Do only Luddites still use or like discs?

(Of course, I never thought or was aware of ferrites or RFI issues before the Blu/MScaler topic arose in the last year or so.)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #999 of 18,425
For a while now (years actually), I've asked here and elsewhere if there is any sonic advantage to playing physical CDs vs. ripped (or purchased) files, and every time the answer I got was there there was no difference at all. But now, for the first time I can recall, here in this thread there is chatter about CDs sounding better.
What's going on?

I've been hanging on to my CDs (even after ripping them) because, somehow, I still like the sound of them. But I thought I was imagining things or just didn't have good enough transport mechanisms (I just use an array of external or internal solid state drives for my files).

Is the CD really dead? Do only Luddites still use or like discs?

(Of course, I never thought or was aware of ferrites or RFI issues before the Blu/MScaler topic arose in the last year or so.)

It’s not so much the fact that they are CDs so much as when they are played on the Blu2 many people find that is a reference sound that is very difficult to equal with a ripped file on a server. We are not saying other CD players can do this, just a cd on the Blu2 going into Dave. There is a possibility this is because the Blu2 transport is very low noise and because it is directly feeding into the MScaler.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,000 of 18,425
Even playing CDs in my noisy old PC, they are a noticeable step up in sound quality vs. the lossless FLAC rips of the same songs.

I think the people who say there were no different only had mid-fi gear. If you have a Dave, you should easily tell the different between a CD rip & a CD.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,001 of 18,425
Even playing CDs in my noisy old PC, they are a noticeable step up in sound quality vs. the lossless FLAC rips of the same songs.

I think the people who say there were no different only had mid-fi gear. If you have a Dave, you should easily tell the different between a CD rip & a CD.

Well your experiences are indeed interesting. Based on that one might start to wonder if the hard drive and circuits on your PC are shoving out more electrical noise than the CD drive. But I have said before, the only difficulty in having a conversation like this on a forum is making sure we all mean the same thing when we talk about a noticeable step up in sound quality. One man's step up might be a step down for another pair of ears. Out of interest what are the noticeable steps up in sound quality that you notice?

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,003 of 18,425
Hi,
I've searched, but can't find the answer to how I connect my Hugo 2 to my Blu2?
I know I need a 3.5mm to dual BNC connector. Can I just use a standard 3.5mm to dual RCA cable, and then get the RCA to BNC converter like those two items below?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IRE4KU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primewire-Stereo-Connector-Surround-Digital-Black/dp/B01MZIEZ6M/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1535567696&sr=8-31&keywords=3,5mm+to+rca

I posted last night that I would send some pictures of the other way of connecting a Blu2 to a Hugo2 and here they are. The advantage is that you can use a good quality 75 ohm cable (the pictures just show any old cable I had around to take the pictures). You must already have a pair of BNC to BNC cables that you are using with your Blu2 and Qutest so this way you don't need to buy any more cable, just put the convertors on one end of your BNC cables when using the Blu2 with Hugo 2. (Then go out and buy some ferrites for your BNC cables. :wink:)

hugo2 b.jpg
hugo2 a.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,004 of 18,425

I can't tell the difference between playing a red book cd on my BLU MK2 and a wav rip on my Zenith SE MK11 (going through the M-scaler), both feeding into a DAVE.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,005 of 18,425
I can't tell the difference between playing a red book cd on my BLU MK2 and a wav rip on my Zenith SE MK11 (going through the M-scaler), both feeding into a DAVE.
how about no mscaler from zenith to dave comparison? i.e. server to dave vs server mscaler dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back