Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #961 of 18,427
Thanks, yes, I understand what you were trying to do. I must say I gave up on Tidal because of it's inclusion of MQA so I migrated to the Qobuz MQA free area.

As soon as qobuz gets intergrated into Roon, bye bye Tidal

That is the only thing stopping me from jumping on over to qobuz,

It is on roons website that it is in progress but no date known.

That could be 5 months or 5 years, but I am sure it will happen one day as qobuz is too big to ignore.

It!s basically tidals only real competition for “hires music”. Spotify, deezer, amazon et al, they are not competition, they are for folk who don’t need hires music in their life or who only listen to music on there phones or mtv etc.

I am sick of tidals mqa crap and being a chord fan, mqa is nowhere on there future products.

Just ask Rob, he told me that “bomb had been planted” and that “terrorists are dead”. ***“Rob Watt’s does not play counter strike and did not say this, it was another Rob”*** capiche

I thought he was speaking about the PC computer game Counter Strike ( life affirming activity ), but he told me no, he said it was from Madden NFL 2019 ( life affirming activity except on a sunday )

I have no idea either.

I just want qobuz and roon intergration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #962 of 18,427
Please forgive the heretical question. But, @Rob Watts, is it possible that for reasons of having to go after those who insist on MQA; that it could be added as an option to 2go or as an update for Poly? I hope not, but another company who doesn't like MQA in their DACS are adding it to their bridge components. I mean, of course PSAudio.

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #963 of 18,427
For Rob

What is the maximum power consumption of HMS and also Blu2? I'm interested in this comparison many thanks.

A novice to this area i calculated the power draw of my imac/router/h2 (arriving wednesday) and now just need HMS power consumption. From a standard 13A extension lead and one socket i have approx. 3120 Watts so i am just realising there is really no issue plugging all 4 devices into one strip. Being new to this and shortly receiving over 5K of chord gear and having no one to advise me (apart from headfi members) explains my persistent analysis of this point. thanks to all mk.

I have a electronic kettle, consume 2000w, connected to a 13a outlet via a tiny cable.

If you ready want, do like me:

2p 20a rcbo for digital
2p 16a rcbo for preamp
2p 20a rcbo each for my two subs
2p 32a rcbo each for my two poweramp
And all these separated from my household electrical

Means, any trip on the household, my music still going...

Btw, use the switch on the rccb to power on/off the pre, power and subs.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #964 of 18,427
For Rob

What is the maximum power consumption of HMS and also Blu2? I'm interested in this comparison many thanks.

A novice to this area i calculated the power draw of my imac/router/h2 (arriving wednesday) and now just need HMS power consumption. From a standard 13A extension lead and one socket i have approx. 3120 Watts so i am just realising there is really no issue plugging all 4 devices into one strip. Being new to this and shortly receiving over 5K of chord gear and having no one to advise me (apart from headfi members) explains my persistent analysis of this point. thanks to all mk.

I can’t recall precisely, but Blu2 is well below 30 watts when I measured it. Like maybe 15 or 20. Not significant. Short of an amp (and power regen), you won’t draw much wattage (or more importantly, VA) out of audio gear.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #965 of 18,427
For Rob

The M scaler is 13W total.

As soon as qobuz gets intergrated into Roon, bye bye Tidal

That is the only thing stopping me from jumping on over to qobuz,

It is on roons website that it is in progress but no date known.

That could be 5 months or 5 years, but I am sure it will happen one day as qobuz is too big to ignore.

It!s basically tidals only real competition for “hires music”. Spotify, deezer, amazon et al, they are not competition, they are for folk who don’t need hires music in their life or who only listen to music on there phones or mtv etc.

I am sick of tidals mqa crap and being a chord fan, mqa is nowhere on there future products.

Just ask Rob, he told me that “bomb had been planted” and that “terrorists are dead”.

I thought he was speaking about the game Counter Strike, but he told me no, he said it was from Madden NFL 2019.

I have no idea either.

I just want qobuz and roon intergration.

Err - the Rob quoted isn't this Rob... And please, Head-Fi is primarily about life affirming activity, enjoying music, not life destroying. Keep it that way.

Please forgive the heretical question. But, @Rob Watts, is it possible that for reasons of having to go after those who insist on MQA; that it could be added as an option to 2go or as an update for Poly? I hope not, but another company who doesn't like MQA in their DACS are adding it to their bridge components. I mean, of course PSAudio.

MQA needs the first unfold to try to repair the damage that MQA has already done, and this is best done in your media player, which Tidal and Roon can both do, as MQA creates unacceptable levels of aliasing and HF distortion.

You are still better off with the original undamaged 44.1.

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #967 of 18,427
EDIT: sorry, mistake

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #969 of 18,427
Is it only silver? I don’t see a color choice. You’d think they’d want to know for th preorder. Must be VERY early in the process.

For my pre-order with my UK dealer the colour was specified.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #970 of 18,427
Silver for me to be used with a silver H2. My link back to the original defining hugo1 which most remember as silver. I like to see the raw aluminium finish that's used too without the black powder coating but both are smart.

Is chord the only manufacturer to implement dual mode data processing?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #971 of 18,427
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #972 of 18,427
The M scaler is 13W total.

Err - the Rob quoted isn't this Rob... And please, Head-Fi is primarily about life affirming activity, enjoying music, not life destroying. Keep it that way.

MQA needs the first unfold to try to repair the damage that MQA has already done, and this is best done in your media player, which Tidal and Roon can both do, as MQA creates unacceptable levels of aliasing and HF distortion.

You are still better off with the original undamaged 44.1.
Rob can I ask. . On tidal if I click say on a new album it shows 24 bit and I don't think I have any option to change it, it's been that long now since I've had my hugo 2 but it goes orange not red which is 16 bit so is that mqa coming into play,?Now with me using Roon I'm hoping that doesn't happen but I can't remember, I'll only know when I get my hugo TT 2

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #973 of 18,427
Rob can I ask. . On tidal if I click say on a new album it shows 24 bit and I don't think I have any option to change it, it's been that long now since I've had my hugo 2 but it goes orange not red which is 16 bit so is that mqa coming into play,?Now with me using Roon I'm hoping that doesn't happen but I can't remember, I'll only know when I'm getting my hugo TT 2

That just sounds like Roon/Tidal doing the MQA first unfold for you, keeping the 24bits, which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back