1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637
639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648
Next

Last
  1. Triode User
    A changed sound signature can often be mistaken for ‘better’ especially in a show situation where matters such as fatigue do not always come to the fore.

zenlisten likes this.
  2. nomad777
    Or its just better sounding since I've been to many of them ansd also seen improvements in my system.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. Christer
    Oh yes,
    I am both old enough, and I still remember those days when I sometimes had to touch the antenna of my FM/AM Radio to get decent reception.
    Sometimes just approaching a Radio close without touching it, would make reception worse.

And not only that, I also managed to fool a friend that I was really good at telepathy by quoting the exact words he had said in his car on his com-radio before coming to me on more than one occasion.
    What I knew, but he did not know, was that the headphone cable on my first electrostatic headphones the Jecklin Float, obviously acted as an antenna and picked up his conversations well enough for me to hear him and the person he was speaking to as well,in the background, if I happened to be listening to music when he was approaching while using the com-radio in his car.
    So yes weird things happened long before MScaling and BNC cables issues became a point of interest and worry for me too.
    But I have to say that with my upgraded clearly better insulated BNC cables than stock cables, in my HMS system I enjoy even CDs on a daily basis without worrying too much about how much better things could theoretically sound if I upgrade even more.
    Instead I both listen to music and play the piano on daily basis.
    No RFI problems with my piano only my fingers not hitting the correct keys in fast pieces like Mozart's Alla Turca March.
    But I am slowly, slowly learning....
    On the other hand NO recording whether on LP or digital via HMS sounds as real as my piano.
    But digital comes closer to the real thing than LP does in my system.
    Transients maybe?
    Piano is a percussion instrument, lots of transients.

Cheers CC

Ragnar-BY, zenlisten, Nik74 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rob Watts
    You have a very much higher expectation about DAC designers than I do. The vast majority of DAC designers don't know sampling theorem at all - and the rest don't understand it. Of course DAC designers are mostly guys that solder chips onto PCBs and then mess around with it to try to tweak a sound. There are very few true DAC designers - those capable of designing a DAC from the bottom up - and they do not listen at all, as it's all math based. So to them, regular filters are just fine, as the steady state is OK.

So to prove my case, name one designer that talks about the importance of transient recovery and reducing the transient timing errors associated with interpolation filters? Or simply stating that more taps is better sound quality? You won't find one.

As to RFI, this is a misnomer - it's simple to design a DAC without RFI. The primary issue that is important to sound quality is noise floor modulation, which is made worse by adding RF noise into analogue electronics. The problem with noise floor modulation is that the ear/brain is extremely sensitive to it. And again - name one designer that actually talks about noise floor modulation and the importance of removing it. Again, you won't find one.

But we do. The M scaler is galvanically isolated, with extensive chip ferrites built into the driver circuitry, in order to RF isolate the outputs from the FPGA. If you add clip on ferrites, it will sound worse, so don't bother with that.

Reducing noise floor modulation makes instrument separation and focus better, as well as making it sound warmer and smoother. The bass as a consequence sounds fuller and more extended.

Sorry it's clear you don't understand FPGAs. An FPGA can create a DSP core of any size as it's custom logic. Moreover, floating point is not a good idea as it creates noise floor modulation, as small signal resolution is being modulated via the varying exponent.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    snk8699, musickid, zenlisten and 13 others like this.
  5. miketlse
    Sorry, I will delete my posts and leave the thread to other more knowledgeable individuals.

6. Rob Watts
    No don't do that! Nobody has a complete knowledge about anything....

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    musickid, Pokemonn, zenlisten and 3 others like this.
  7. Lgn3
    The M scaler is galvanically isolated, with extensive chip ferrites built into the driver circuitry, in order to RF isolate the outputs from the FPGA. If you add clip on ferrites, it will sound worse, so don't bother with that.

Thanks for making that crystal clear. I hope that nobody is going to argue that you are wrong !

musickid and kelly200269 like this.
  8. kelly200269
    Do you think that now we have definitive guidance from this from Rob, that this thread can now STOP banging-on about non-existent RFI with HMS??

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    musickid, Ciggavelli and Lgn3 like this.
  9. nomad777
    LOL.. I don't know if your being sincere or not, but is sure doesn't sound like it. You should take it as a compliment when your corrected by the person who designed the HMS.

10. Triode User
    Rob did NOT say that RFI is non existent.

11. nomad777
    O heck no! People are bored!

12. nomad777
    But it is controlled... and that's what matters.

kelly200269 likes this.
  13. Triode User
    you are reading into his words what you want to read.

14. kelly200269
    And I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You have a commercial interest in perpetuating this myth.

nomad777 likes this.
  15. Lgn3
    What I read is what Rob has stated

The M scaler is galvanically isolated, with extensive chip ferrites built into the driver circuitry, in order to RF isolate the outputs from the FPGA. If you add clip on ferrites, it will sound worse, so don't bother with that.

Are you saying that he is wrong ?

nomad777 and kelly200269 like this.
First

Back
628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637
639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648
Next

Last