1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636
638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647
Next

Last
  1. nomad777
    Don't take what people say on here as Gospel. Filtering and products as I mentioned above absolutely have an influence on the bitstream.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. nomad777
    To much people have a right to express opinions even if you don't like them.

3. JaZZ Contributor
    Yes, they are «fake» – or more precisely «figurative». And they have nothing to do with Chord DACs. They just show how a bitstream polluted with HF can look like. No reason for drama.

4. JaZZ Contributor
    Currently in a test phase, I have the impression that this impression is caused by the removal of some higher-frequency debris.

HumanMedia and ZappaMan like this.
  5. dmance
    @nomad777
    The point @audio_1 was making was cable swaps before optical modulation. without any galvanic conduction then only the nordost cable benefits that impact exterior shielding would matter.
    In the digital domain, the only aspects that a cable manufacturer can impact is:
    1)attenuation of internal frequencies
    2) prevention of ingress/egress of RF energy

It's only the latter that would impact a cable in the situation audio_1 described.

audio_1, wswbd, adyc and 1 other person like this.
  6. xxx1313
    I also have a pair of Oyaide DB-510 cables on order, which should arrive in a few days. I will use them on the dirty side (Opto-DX T), because I also get better results there with better shielded cables, not only on the clean side (Opto-DX R). Dan is probably right with his explanation of BNC cables acting as antennae. Even a very basic Amphenol BNC cable made an audible difference compared to the thin stock leads. But the Amphenol cable has a rather loose BNC connector, so I decided to give the DB-510 cables a try. This seems to be a reasonably priced silver cable with good shielding.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  7. nomad777
    No... not completely accurate. The quality of the copper, silver etc.. also has a big influence.

8. dmance
    For a digital cable, all metallurgy does is attenuate frequency. Nothing makes the bits 'better'. If you follow your thinking that better copper makes digital signal better then why dont you make similar claims all the way from your source into the wall, out to your cable company,, your ISP to Google, Amazon ...and ask them all to put in better quality cables.

For 100% digital functionality all digital cables have to be is engineering standards compliant.

Nomad, what you and everyone else on the forum knows is that when digital cables are proximate to ...or make galvanic contact to a DAC, then it's about more than digital fidelity.

9. Progisus
    A bit off topic but for those Mojo owners who would like to get full 768k upsampled with mscaler like filter... try HQPlayer and poly-sinc-long-lp filter. Sounds amazingly good.

10. nomad777
    Have you tried different cables; high end ones. I guess then Nordost, Kimber, Cardas, Synergistic, and a myriad of other cable companies should just pack it up and leave the industry because its just 1's and 0's. Also Ps Audio should pack it in to. We should all revert back to the stock cables that came with our equipment.

Don't know why your referencing ISP's I listen from my music player. However when I have streamed with the Sotm Cat7's they make a huge difference.

Cables have an influence on every aspect of the music. Are you a metallurgist? High quality copper and silver makes a vast difference in sound. That's why high end companies use 7n copper or 7n silver.

11. dmance
    I agree.
    More than just mojo owners ...any DX compatible DAC can benefit. The new HQP filter has the same sonic character as WTA1, 1M+ taps, linear phase response and 240dB stop band attenuation. It computes to 24-bit accuracy because x64 CPUs have 80-bit floating point (versus only 64-bit in FPGAs). And it runs on a Core i3.

12. jarnopp
    I interpret what Dan is saying is that *if* you hear a difference when switching cables, routers, switches, streamers, etc. upstream of an optical or other galvanically isolated DAC, then there has to be a mechanism other than metallurgy, since those effects cannot be transmitted via optical, which 9nly transmits voltage signals = to 1s and 0s and if that were so poor as to change one bit, then you would get dropouts. So, the mechanism has to be something else, names the three letters that shall not be named here anymore, transmitted by proximity. Otherwise, in your world, all the cabling from the ISP to your home would far outweigh the last foot of special Ethernet cable you choose. So, perhaps cable manufacturers create cables that allows various amounts of a RFI to be emitted/transmitted based on topology, and that can be a large part of effect on digital applications.

13. Progisus
    I have it running on a NUC i3. I was having issues until Jussi advised to have the rate family checked. Now it starts with just a moments delay. The mscaler is more stable but quite a bit more expensive. Fun hobby.

14. nomad777
    You keep going back to ISP... audio switches, cables will make your streaming sound better. No good cables eliminate RFI and you are incorrect quality cables make a difference to bit stream data. That's why some companies measure the speed of their cables.

15. audio_1
    The Oyaide DB-510 are great digital cables. As you say they are well shielded with excellent connectors.

First

Back
627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636
638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647
Next

Last