Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 19, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #9,421 of 18,356
Perhaps you should sell it ....
To be honest.. i should have spent the cash upgrading my H2 to a TT2 and used HQPlayer filters. I am lucky in that I don’t have noticeable rfi issues. I think the Moon dual coax is very well made and prevents rfi with proper shielding.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #9,423 of 18,356
@Progisus
You're in Canada right? Toronto GTA? If so, please drop over to my place to hear how good a "RFI Free" Chord DAC can sound.
Dan
Thanks for the offer but I’m in the soon to be Grey Cup Champion city.

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #9,425 of 18,356
Hmm... what do you mean by this... I find it gives amazing detail you will never hear without it. Especially @ 768mhz
I meant that seems the dominant instrumements, harshness dissapears. Everything flows in such synergi. With very rich tone and more dominant bass. And yes soundstage becomes really 3d. and details brought from the background up.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #9,427 of 18,356
I also though want a good thing would be for 2go to have on side or on front USB data out which M scaler can recognize (becouse as we know Poly data out can only recognize Mojo, so this is programable) and work in combo too. I would imediately buy it... hope i guessed right this :)

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #9,430 of 18,356
Well folks bit the bullet and started using the WA33 elite with the mscaler no issues whatsoever... other than there's a big smile on my face as I pound Led Zepplin "black dog" through it. This amp is truly incredible...... serious kick ass power combined with amazing clarity, soundstage and zero distortion.... but I paid dearly for the no RFI

Nov 21, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #9,431 of 18,356
I wanted to make an offer to anyone in this thread with a mScaler that uses the stock BNC cables and is curious about an 'upgrade cable' with ferrites. I've had my wave stream cables for months now and love them and don't see ever swapping them out. That means my prior upgrade cables w/ ferrites are no longer needed. I don't recall the brand of the upgraded cables, but I did post about them in this thread if you want to search. They are basically a $40 pair of BNCs that have better connectors and a more sturdy feel than stock. I have 10 ferrites (5 on each cable) and the ferrite frequency is what Rob had recommended.

If anyone is interested, they are yours for free. All I need is for you to email me a shipping label and I'll send them out to you. PM with interest.

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #9,432 of 18,356
I wanted to make an offer to anyone in this thread with a mScaler that uses the stock BNC cables and is curious about an 'upgrade cable' with ferrites. I've had my wave stream cables for months now and love them and don't see ever swapping them out. That means my prior upgrade cables w/ ferrites are no longer needed. I don't recall the brand of the upgraded cables, but I did post about them in this thread if you want to search. They are basically a $40 pair of BNCs that have better connectors and a more sturdy feel than stock. I have 10 ferrites (5 on each cable) and the ferrite frequency is what Rob had recommended.

If anyone is interested, they are yours for free. All I need is for you to email me a shipping label and I'll send them out to you. PM with interest.

Nice offer since it Christmas time.... I know I'm good... I'm sure you'll have interest...

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #9,433 of 18,356
Here's some observations... in regards to RFI.

With my current setup I have zero noise RFI ; none discernible by the human ear. In fact so much so that I miss having a little bit of it. So I might take off some of the filtration to see if I can get a little bit of it back. Not much just a little.... It just feels a little strange listening to rock music without a little bit of distortion. For classical its great but I don't always listen to that genre. Don't know if anyone else has experienced having music so clean that it does feel a little strange at first....

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #9,434 of 18,356
Here's some observations... in regards to RFI.

With my current setup I have zero noise RFI ; none discernible by the human ear. In fact so much so that I miss having a little bit of it. So I might take off some of the filtration to see if I can get a little bit of it back. Not much just a little.... It just feels a little strange listening to rock music without a little bit of distortion. For classical its great but I don't always listen to that genre. Don't know if anyone else has experienced having music so clean that it does feel a little strange at first....

Just a question, what do you mean by RF noise and what do you think it sounds like on a system? Normally the only way to tell if you have RF noise is to compare. You say that you have zero noise RFI but how do you know? The RFI is not audible in itself and is only apparant by the effect it has on modifying the music.

For me, with less RF noise the music will sound darker, possibly even a little warmer, subtle details of instruments will be audible when otherwise the RF artifacts would overshadow them. The music will probably also have more bass clarity and depth. More RF noise on the other hand will affect the music by it being more fatiguing, possibly even harsher in the upper registers, the bass will be less defined and the mid range will not be as sweet or detailed. The music may at first appear to have more detail and / or a bigger soundstage but those are just false artifacts due to the RF noise intermodulation distortion.

So, how do you know you have zero RF noise?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #9,435 of 18,356
For me, with less RF noise the music will sound darker, possibly even a little warmer, subtle details of instruments will be audible when otherwise the RF artifacts would overshadow them. The music will probably also have more bass clarity and depth. More RF noise on the other hand will affect the music by it being more fatiguing, possibly even harsher in the upper registers, the bass will be less defined and the mid range will not be as sweet or details. The music may at first appear to have more detail and / or a bigger soundstage but those are just false artifacts due to the RF noise intermodulation distortion.

Exactly my experience as well. I've found that I need to do long term listening tests to validate any RFI changes I make (mainly around fatigue and/or how relaxed/stress free extended listening is). I've learned to hear RFI impact pretty quickly on key passages on certain tracks, but that is no substitute for long term listening tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back