1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574
576 577 578 579 580 581 582
Next

Last
  1. SCBob
    Is the Peli 1085 case suitable to transport the M Scaler or would a different one fit better? Thanks.

2. Progisus
    PI 4 arrived and connected as above. No usb noise now the buses are separated. I can also confirm (in my system) there is absolutely no sonic differences between usb, coax, optical.

3. Ragnar-BY
    I love how fast mouser shipping is. Got another 10 Wurth STAR-GAP ferrites today. Now there are 10 ferrites on each of my cables. There is some minor improvement in comparison to 5 cores on each cable, but I can`t say that I`m impressed like it was in the first time. Difference between 5 and 0 ferrites was stunning, going from 5 to 10 is more about fine tuning. 1m cables have enough space to fit 10 more cores, but I doubt if that will make sound any better.

GreenBow likes this.
  4. kyle1010
    Interesting. So optical signal is optical signal with perfect fidelity no matter which streamer? Honestly, streaming Qobuz with the Chromecast I hear dead silence between the notes and quiet parts of hi-res tracks. If there is RF noise maybe it’s causing inaudible issues because zero noise is audible on my system. If there were noise, my tattle tale LCD-4s would let me know it in a heartbeat and not be nice about it. What I’m wondering is, beyond the subtractive qualities like less noise if there even is any, are there any additive SQ gains upgrading to a $1k streamer still optical out to HMS and/or TT2 (more detail, wider soundstage, richer tones, better imaging, etc.)?

Hmmmmm. Ok let me be more specific about my power situation. The building I live in is very new, barely 10yrs old. Generally older houses and buildings with less modern specs in their electrical systems are the ones where audio peeps like us need to worry more about power conditioning for noise reasons right? I mean, I have an insanely detailed NAD/MartinLogan electrostat system in my living room and I can put my ear right next to the stat panel at healthy volume levels and not hear a peep of noise between notes in music. Like my LCD-4s, crazy thin membranes like the ML stat panels will tell you obnoxiously if there’s noise. Even so, I use an iFi iPower brick on the Chromecast just in case, again, no audible noise. So what I’d like to know is are there true SQ gains to be had if I buy the Innuos? If so, I’ll get it, but if all optical signal is the same for SQ regardless of streamer, I’ll put that cash towards something else.

5. Triode User
    You are confusing the ‘noise’ we are discussing with other background noise in the audible spectrum. The RF noise is very high frequency and by itself is not audible. You will not hear it by listening to the background noise. Instead the very high frequency noise interacts in the analogue stage of a dac and causes intermodulation distortion of the music and which definitely can be heard as a slight harshness, loss of transparency and muddy bass.

So, just because you hear no audible background noise means more or less nothing as to whether you have RF noise issues. I am very used to the effects of RF noise so I can immediately hear the effect on music but you would probably only notice when you hear your system without RF noise and notice the darker less fatiguing sound of your music.

Sources of the RF noise are not so much to do with the age of the building and are more to do with what we put in the buildings such as routers, led lights, dimmers, etc etc. Indeed a more modern building might have more of these sources than an older building. Indeed some of our HiFi emits RF noise and that is why firms such as Innuos and others pay so much attention to this in their streamers.

zenlisten, wswbd, xxx1313 and 2 others like this.
  6. kyle1010
    Ahhh ok. I figured we probably weren’t talking about audible noise since at this level of equipment that would be a big no no. Well, sold, I’ll buy the Innuous with a solid return policy and A/B test it against the Chromecast back and forth. If I hear this darker less fatiguing sound, I’ll keep it. Problem solved. Thanks for the info!

7. kyle1010
    Ohhhh man it feels like Christmas Eve. I’m more excited that the HMS is arriving tomorrow than I am of the fact it’s my birthday. Aging sucks, new audio gear does not. :) And just like that I’m a 500+ Head-fier now. It’s gonna be a good day.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:41 AM
    AndrewH13 and ZappaMan like this.
  8. tesarpa
    I see several hundred types of ferrites on Mouser. How did you choose the right one?

9. AndrewH13
    Do report back with your findings!

kyle1010 likes this.
  10. gnomen
    Ha, ha! Yes. My demonstrator HMS arrives tomorrow too. Loved it in the store and I'm looking forward to hearing it my own system before committing to purchase.

As for age, the race is on to enjoy as much hifi as I can before the hearing deterioration becomes too severe. A bit like using the best golf clubs I can afford before I can no longer stagger around the course.

PS happy birthday!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    Jawed likes this.
  11. ekfc63
    So I went to the Hi-Fi store yesterday to pick up a TT2. Made the mistake of trying the Abyss 1266 TC. I now have a pair on order.....

12. musickid
    i wish i could make 5K mistakes at the drop of a hat. mind you i am grateful for what i have my mscaler and tt2.:gs1000smile:

gnomen likes this.
  13. Ragnar-BY
    I`ve filtered out inappropriate diameters and looked through data sheets of the rest to find best suitable impedance curve.

14. dmance
    ...and i think somewhere in this forum are Rob's posts about the correct impedance. I dont have my notes handy but based on his comments i purchased:
    WURTH ELECTRONIK 74271131 and 74271633S
    ...to good effect. Although that was on a USB cable. Alternating both so about 20 in total.

wswbd likes this.
  15. GreenBow
    I will follow this story. I think striking out and doing it your own way was genius.

There were quite a lot of posts a long time ago in the TT2 thread about ferrites. (It became a joke about ferrets) However that was long before you even bought a Qutest. ……. Good luck.

I think the burning question for me is, do ferrites go all the way, or only reach a certain point? I also wondered if different spec ferrites on one cable, might be more effective. Still not sure how you worked it out by impedance curve, but thanks for sharing what you used.

Ragnar-BY likes this.
First

Back
565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574
576 577 578 579 580 581 582
Next

Last